bringing portfolio to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microshar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if there is any point in bringing anything to the interview in terms of portfolio content? I don't have much EC's in med school as I pretty much spent all my time doing studying. My MSPE is good and all my minimal acitivies were already on ERAS.

Should I just come empty handed without a portfolio, how bad will it look?

I'm just focusing on trying to appear confident, and well-dressed. Don't know if I need to bring much else.

Members don't see this ad.

I brought my porfolio and rarely utilized it. By the end of the interview trail I just left it at home. I think it's better to keep your interviewer engaged through conversation rather than looking at more paper work. I did get a chance to hand out a few of my research papers on projects that are brought up during discussion. I also keep an updated CV with me with additional pubs/honors for PDs who are interested. I usually inform them of new additions verbally and ask if they want a copy of new CV. Some say yes some say no.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I was wondering if there is any point in bringing anything to the interview in terms of portfolio content? I don't have much EC's in med school as I pretty much spent all my time doing studying. My MSPE is good and all my minimal acitivies were already on ERAS.

Should I just come empty handed without a portfolio, how bad will it look?

I'm just focusing on trying to appear confident, and well-dressed. Don't know if I need to bring much else.

I would ask in the neuro/psych boards about this if you're concerned (looks like you are going into one of those 2 fields based on your post history). That said, I didn't bring anything with me into any of my EM interviews and it was a complete non-issue. I don't actually know what you would want to bring with you anyway.

I took my portfolio to all my interviews. For me, a PCCM fellowship applicant, almost every interviewer asked about my case reports and research projects. It was very useful to pull out my case report summary that contains cool images. That sparked more interest in my personal experience.

thanks guys, i'm pretty non-impressive numbers wise and didn't do anything to write home about so i guess it would be futile for me. gosh i don't have to scramble lol

thanks guys, i'm pretty non-impressive numbers wise and didn't do anything to write home about so i guess it would be futile for me. gosh i don't have to scramble lol

Don't psych yourself out!

Flip your perspective on the purpose of interviews and you will be vastly more successful than the folks carrying around extra papers in their bags. It's almost impossible to out-compete if everyone is doing the same thing. But, fortunately for you, that same thing isn't very effective. Because. . . .

Nobody cares about you.

The purpose of interviews for residency is to convince the residency director/faculty that YOU can fill their needs (and that you're not a serial killer, natch). It is not for you to reiterate the accomplishments that they've already read about in your ERAS app. That's the stuff that gets you the interview, but it's not what gets you ranked higher. Understanding what the program needs and convincing them that you fill that need is what gets you ranked higher.

So, what do program directors want? Certainly, they want residents who are good team-players because one of their biggest headaches is when they have residents who aren't. They want people who will get along well with the nurses, other specialties, etc so they won't have to deal with anything. They want residents who are going to pick up extra slack in the program - this is good pre- and during-interview research about the program - such as residents to lead morning report or serve on the admission committee. I'm in a different field, so I'm not sure if there's an academic expectation for you but, if so, they want residents who can complete an academic project within the short timeline of residency. Some ideas, but this should get you started.

Instead of a portfolio that's more info about YOU, put together 3 talking points that emphasize how you have the characteristics that will help the residency. For instance, "I'm a strong team-player. In medical school, [anecdote]..." Or, "I really enjoy the sense of accomplishment from completing projects. In medical school, I completed a project on X in X time despite the challenges of [fill in challenges]". Find ways to answer questions with these points in all your interviews.

Good luck!