"Portion of results published in..." carry any clout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Five years ago I did some undergrad research, and the work I was instructed to do by my advisor in large part led to the department publishing a paper in Science. Throughout the process of the paper getting written, I was assured my work would be recognized in the form of authorship. Sure enough though, when I checked back with the group about a year later, the paper had already been published an my name wasn't on it :mad: Why give a junior at university that kind of recognition, right? Anyways, they tried to comfort me with, "your work will always be appreciated" and "if you ever need anything from us in the future", blah blah...

So here's my question...I'm writing my CV and my research advisor told me to list the Science publication, with the disclaimer that "a portion of my results were published in...name of article". Does this hold any clout in the eyes of residency directors? Any clout in the research world? Will I ever get any credit for this :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Five years ago I did some undergrad research, and the work I was instructed to do by my advisor in large part led to the department publishing a paper in Science. Throughout the process of the paper getting written, I was assured my work would be recognized in the form of authorship. Sure enough though, when I checked back with the group about a year later, the paper had already been published an my name wasn't on it :mad: Why give a junior at university that kind of recognition, right? Anyways, they tried to comfort me with, "your work will always be appreciated" and "if you ever need anything from us in the future", blah blah...

So here's my question...I'm writing my CV and my research advisor told me to list the Science publication, with the disclaimer that "a portion of my results were published in...name of article". Does this hold any clout in the eyes of residency directors? Any clout in the research world? Will I ever get any credit for this :(

No is the simple answer as there is no way for residency directors to know if what you are saying is actually true. If you were an author on the paper, that could easily be proven by doing a medline search; however, stating that you contributed without actually documentation is no enough.

No is the simple answer as there is no way for residency directors to know if what you are saying is actually true. If you were an author on the paper, that could easily be proven by doing a medline search; however, stating that you contributed without actually documentation is no enough.

It might help if you are listed in the acknowledgment section of the article. This would give evidence of your contribution. If you were not an author, nor acknowledged, then I would be tempted not to believe you if i were an adcomm.