Pos incident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since we sort of debating things that aren't "fair" in regards to supervising techs/pharmacists, according to a colleague in KY, there the PIC is always at fault for any control substance discrepancy. Even if they were on vacation and another pharmacist steals controls out of the safe the PIC "should have known". That seems crazy unfair to me. How on earth could a PIC prevent that?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There was a case in my pharmacy law class where the pharmacist was held liable for the cost of raising a child until 18 because he failed to adequately counsel the pt on an interaction between the mom's OC and another drug. So, yea...this case reminds me of that. Selling someone a PPI instead of her OC...I'd be stressed as hell too.

Reactions: 1 users
Since we sort of debating things that aren't "fair" in regards to supervising techs/pharmacists, according to a colleague in KY, there the PIC is always at fault for any control substance discrepancy. Even if they were on vacation and another pharmacist steals controls out of the safe the PIC "should have known". That seems crazy unfair to me. How on earth could a PIC prevent that?!

Same in my state. The disciplinary rulings against the PIC virtually always read: “failure to establish and maintain controls against the diversion of drugs and failure, as a manager, to be responsible for all aspects of the operations related to the practice of pharmacy including the safekeeping of pharmaceuticals.” The pharmacy and PIC virtually always are both fined.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same in my state. The disciplinary rulings against the PIC virtually always read: “failure to establish and maintain controls against the diversion of drugs and failure, as a manager, to be responsible for all aspects of the operations related to the practice of pharmacy including the safekeeping of pharmaceuticals.” The pharmacy and PIC virtually always are both fined.

I don't know if it is the same in FL, but I have been to multiple BOP meetings and never seen that. I want to think that the BOP here investigates and assigns liability a bit more judiciously. But who knows, perhaps it is the same here. Just glad I am not PIC anymore, lol

Oh the one that killed me was an example of a PIC in KY who detected the theft, fired the person responsible, and reported the incident to the board (in compliance with the law obviously). Maybe they had the person arrested, I don't recall that detail. The person was fined for falling to prevent it. Holy ****, you get fined/reprimanded for reporting that you successfully caught a thief and prevented future diversion?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Usually if the theft was going on for over a year and PIC finally caught it then yes PIC could be held liable for not preventing it. I have known some really lazy PIC who don't bother with control counts and delegated the May count to a floater.