Positive/Negative Clinical intervention

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by rxforlife2004, Apr 16, 2007.

1. rxforlife2004

rxforlife2004 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I just went for a job interview last week and the pharm director asked me if i could explain in details about a positive/negative clinical intervention during hospital rotations...Boy, am i the only person here that hates these kinda questions? Or anyone knows how to handle such questions? Grr...i think i bombed it...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'd say you need to do some reading on outcomes management of clinical pharmacy interventions.

Just because you can get a dose to achieve a particular vancomycin trough does not necessarily mean you've done the pt any good - especially when you've not looked at the peak & kept that where it should be.

Sorry about the interview - but, this will give you something to work on for the next one.

4. golf299

golf299 Member
    10+ Year Member

Vanco is a time dependent drug, thus, time above MIC is what you need to worry about, not peak concentrations. Target a level of about 4-5x that of the MIC of the bug and keep it at that level for at least 50% of the time and you should be good.

5. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good job - but.....that was not the point.

The point was being able to discern a positive or negative clinical intervention. I just used vanco as an example of how it could be used either way.........

6. dumediat

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well, usually I'm a pretty good BSer, but those questions do throw me sometimes. For that particular question, though, I think it boils down to whether your intervention ultimately helped the patient in the long-run. If you ended up, say, giving a patient ampho B to treat sepsis, but the patient died 2 days later from ARF, then that's a negative clinical intervention. But, if you treated another patient with clindamycin for a life-threatening peritoneal B. fragillis infection, and you cured the infection but temporarily gave the patient CDAD, that would be a positive clinical intervention. Hopefully that helps a bit. :D