Possibility of working in the USA---studying in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it easy for International graduates to work in the US?

• Very easy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easy

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Dont waste your time

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Impossible

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guyton Killah

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
account deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Guys. I am a 4th yr medical student in a prestigious European uni. my intention is to study in the US after graduation.

But I m not sure about the procedure. I know, u gotta do USMLEs, which I haven't yet tried. Any International student out there with the same mission? If yes how about if we team up in this process, step by step?

Check out the International Forum and its Europe sub-forum:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=85

On your poll, I'd have answered "Difficult, but possible," however, you didn't have that as an option. I've had contact with a few international medical graduates who did their residencies in the US, and they all said they scored 95+ on the USMLE Step I (n=3, so not a good sample). Getting the correct visa is another issue, if you aren't a US citizen or permanent resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's not an option "Difficult but definitely possible" because that's what I will pick. You should post in the residency forum, perhaps you will get more replies there. I think in order for foreign medical graduates to practice in the US, you have to score very well on USMLE Step I and Step II, get certified by the ECFMG (search google for this), and get some kind of US clinical experience to apply for US residency. It's tough but definitely possible since almost half of primary care positions are filled by foreign medical graduates. Good luck.

there is no reason people should have replied don't waste your time. They have no clue what they are talking about. My uncle studied in England and my preceptor is South African. I have met numerous doctors in numerous specialties that studied in countries from all over the world. Getting a residency may be a bit more difficult, but you will be able to practice here if you are competent and can pass US licensing exams.

there is no reason people should have replied don't waste your time. They have no clue what they are talking about. My uncle studied in England and my preceptor is South African. I have met numerous doctors in numerous specialties that studied in countries from all over the world. Getting a residency may be a bit more difficult, but you will be able to practice here if you are competent and can pass US licensing exams.

Thanx hey! Quite encouraging :nod:.

Hi Guys. I am a 4th yr medical student

Are you in a 4/5/6 year program? Where do you study?
I am asking because there are always exchange deals (between schools, informal possibilities between labs)... Getting reference letters from US schools will definitively help you with your residency application...

Good luck! :luck:

Are you in a 4/5/6 year program?
Good luck! :luck:

I'm in a 6yr course, so about 2 more years to sort this thing
out :(n time is ticking :confused:out for me!

I would really appreciate it if somebody could outline all the steps I should follow :thumbup: residency in the US. Just beginning with the USMLE until I get acceptance there. Step by step please.

I know few MD:s, who are practicing medicine in US eventhough they have got their degree in european countries. Its diffucult to compare school system between us an Europe, because your med school takes 4 years, but you first go to college. In many countries "high school" means same as US college. So in many countries you go through 3 years on of highschool(but you dont have to go highschool to get in medschool.) and six years on medschool.

But the result (MD) is same. Althought the MD means in europe same as Licentiate of Medicine.

Last edited:
for the past few months, i've worked at memorial sloan-kettering cancer center in NYC and i've noticed a significant number attendings who've earned their medical degrees in foreign countries. i'm not sure how the process works, but it's clearly possible. out of the 17 attendings in urology, 6 were educated in foreign countries (France, Ireland, Italy, Canada, India and Morocco).

for the past few months, i've worked at memorial sloan-kettering cancer center in NYC and i've noticed a significant number attendings who've earned their medical degrees in foreign countries. i'm not sure how the process works, but it's clearly possible. out of the 17 attendings in urology, 6 were educated in foreign countries (France, Ireland, Italy, Canada, India and Morocco).

Yep, it can be done, but each year it gets harder and harder since they are building new american medical schools and not increasing residency spots.

you know guys... your posts don't encourage at all.
I have a dream of taking my speciality in US and work there, of course after passing the USMLE exams.

Yep, it can be done, but each year it gets harder and harder since they are building new american medical schools and not increasing residency spots.

this post is logical somehow, and really made me feel hopeless.
But I still need another 3 years to finish my GP degree here in my country, so I won't be deppressed so early :p.

thanks for your posts guys.