Possible C in Pre-Calculus (advice needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like I may make a C in Pre-calculus this semester, its still possible I could make a B but not likely. I'm currently in my first semester of Pre-Pharm. prerequisites and I'm doing well in all of my other classes.

Question: If you were in my position would you drop the class and re-take it, or not worry about it and continue with the course?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1 C isn't going to break you, either. Just try to get the B. It is the Calculus I class that matters in terms of pre-reqs anyway. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
1 C isn't going to break you, either. Just try to get the B. It is the Calculus I class that matters in terms of pre-reqs anyway. :)

I agree. It is still very early. Just work hard. Improve on the areas that you notice impede your success in the classroom (time management, study habits, etc.). Take it from someone who got ~6 C/C+'s throughout my early college career... but I showed significant upward trend, and got accepted!

I agree. It is still very early. Just work hard. Improve on the areas that you notice impede your success in the classroom (time management, study habits, etc.). Take it from someone who got ~6 C/C+'s throughout my early college career... but I showed significant upward trend, and got accepted!

I agree with this and Pre-Calc isn't really a 'core' class. To be honest, I struggled a bit with pre-calc namely because the class was rather unfocused as mine covered a TON of different areas of math.

You'll learn lessons after your first year of school and be a better student because of it. It would be beneficial for you to learn how to do a C into a B because it's a skill you'll need in your future studies.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ill stick with it, ill just have to do well on the remaining exams.

So it looks like I may make a C in Pre-calculus this semester, its still possible I could make a B but not likely. I'm currently in my first semester of Pre-Pharm. prerequisites and I'm doing well in all of my other classes.

Question: If you were in my position would you drop the class and re-take it, or not worry about it and continue with the course?

Thanks in advance.

Great advice from everyone.

The only thing I would add: after you get that hard-earned B, figure out where you went wrong. Set up a safety net for when you take Calc I to ensure that you can get at least a B. By "safety net" I mean a good textbook, engineers (enginerds? :laugh:), students who have already gotten A's in Calc I, etc. Figure out what the best prof is for the class and make sure you can sign up for that one.

We all have our struggles...it's being able to succeed in these cases that will make you a successful student. Good luck!

Thanks in advance.

If you have a hard time with math, go to community college and get your math done. I took calc at university and CC level, CC is much less demanding. I'm not sure how much this will effect you in the end,but I doubt deriving sinxcosx + arctan blah blah blah comes up much in pharma school.

I always thought Pre-cal was a lot harder than Calculus anyway.

It seemed to me that pre-calc was a lot more busy work and a conglomeration of math principles that you have learned up to that point. As long as your algebra and trig skills are good you should do fine in Calculus. Learn the rules for derivatives and integrals early though and the class should be cake.

If you have a hard time with math, go to community college and get your math done. I took calc at university and CC level, CC is much less demanding. I'm not sure how much this will effect you in the end,but I doubt deriving sinxcosx + arctan blah blah blah comes up much in pharma school.

That's going to depend completely on where you live, too.

Just like universities, not all CCs are created equal (can be very difficult or very easy).

@ OP: Stay with it. One C won't sink you... important for you to know WHY you're getting that C, though... and not let it happen too much more.