Possible Chance Anywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaheelAnwar89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some constructive criticism on my application?

Current GPA

School 2 Cumulative GPA 3.920
Combined Cumulative GPA 3.630
Combined Retention GPA 3.730 includes retakes

Total Hours completed - 108

Extra Curricular Activities

Research Assistant at a Memory Lab under the Psychology Department for 2 semesters
Research Assistant at a Social Psychology Lab under the Psychology Department for 1 semester
Teaching Assistant at the Human Anatomy Lab with actual human cadavers for 1 semester
Volunteered at a hospital at the front information desk and the adult dialysis unit (saw cath lab procedures!!) for 1 year
Random Volunteering at places with my fraternity, we all at least complete 20 hours per semester

School 1
Chemistry 1 – B+
Chemistry 2 – A-
Organic Chemistry 1 – W
Organic Chemistry 1 lab – W
Ecology – C
Calculus 1 – F
History – D
English 1 – B+
Physics 1 – A+
Physics 1 Lab – A+

School 2
A in a lot of random classes
Organic Chemistry 1 – A
Organic Chemistry 2 – Fall ‘12
Organic Chemistry Lab – Fall ‘12
Physics 2 – Fall ‘12
Human Anatomy (Lab with human cadavers) - A
Teaching Assistant for the lab in Spring '12 (Getting 1 LOR from here, or more if necessary?)
Human Physiology – B (missed the A with 88.6% at the end of the class)
Calculus 1 – B
English 2 – A
Spanish 1 – A
Spanish 2 – A
Spanish 3 – Spring ‘13

My Major ‘s Coursework
HES1661( 1, 2012F, current, Fall, Beginning Racquetball )
HES2131( 1, 2011Sp, A, Spring, Intro-Health & Exercise Science )
HES2823( 3, 2010F, A, Fall, Introductory Nutrition )
HES2913( 3, 2011Sp, A, Spring, Personal Health )
HES3523( 3, 2011F, A, Fall, Human Sexuality )
HES3543( 3, 2011Su, A, Summer, lib, Health And Wellness Coaching )
HES3563( 3, 2012Su, A, Summer, Lifestyle Intervention )
HES3573( 3, 2011Sp, A, Spring, Obesity And Weight Management )
HES3813( 3, 2012Su, A, Summer, Principles Of Health & Fitness )
HES3873( 3, 2011Su, A, Summer, Principles-Personal Training )
HES4213( 3, 2011F, A, Fall, Management in Health & Exercise Science )
HES4853( 3, 2012F, current, Fall, Chronic Disease Intervention )

I'm debating on when I should take the MCAT

Is it possible for me to get into Yale or Johns Hopkins if I did great on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just posted in this forum and got a similar frustrating reply from someone who obviously didn't read my entire post. Anyway, depending on the MCAT I feel like you have a great shot at medical school. Not sure about Yale or Johns Hopkins, I don't know what they look for but I know that the best schools in Texas look for LOTS of research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the reputation of the schools will matter a bit here. If school 1 is quite notable and school 2 is less so, you could face some questions since you earned a D and took two Ws there. If school 2 is more notable than school 1, that bodes well. As for the rest of your credentials, you seem decently set. MCAT score will be a very important factor for you considering the tumultuous academic record and the fact that your GPA is being buoyed by a significant number of BCMP classes. Realistically, your shot at top schools is quite limited. By all means, apply to Yale and JHU since it's truly a crapshoot but be sure to invest most of your time, energy and money in state and at more reasonable academic matches.

Edit: Also, the retakes will factor into the GPA for MD programs just as the original ones will. If you do DO programs they will cover them but otherwise, count both towards your GPA not just the retake

school 1 - terrible tech school - not ranked at all
school 2 - big state university - ranked ~ 100 according to USNEWS

so its the latter in your post :)

Yeah, I was counting the 3.63 for MD and 3.73 for DO

Thanks Diet, I just want to go to either of those schools for my parents sake, since they worked so hard to get me where I am today, it would be the most rewarding for them to hear me say that I got accepted to either of those universities. However, just getting into Medical School would make them immensely proud, so I hope I can do that!