Possible incorrect citizenship info on AADSAS application? I'm so confused !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dstu1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I wen't in to renew my drivers license and was redirected around for a bit with questions about my Resident Alien Card, but after the SoS called in to the state capitol and faxed a couple forms they confirmed that i was "eligible" (except ive already gotten it 4 years earlier already along with a state id and also passport......).

First time its ever happened...she accused me of being an illegal immigrant and all that random stuff becuase she didnt understand the laws and was rude and condescending before getting verification... but it was kinda good because coming online and doing a bit of research I found out I'm most likely a citizen through the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 anyways, something I never knew.

We came to the US in 1989 and I was like 12 or whatever in 2001 (so under 18) and my mother got naturalized around 1999, doesn't that make me automatically a US Citizen under this act. I was gonna go through naturalization soon anyways but this will save me like half a grand if true.

Now, for the application question, I marked permanent resident on my AADSAS application and not US citizen... would this affect me negatively in anyway if it turns out I really am a US citizen (gaining acceptance under false pretense or something lol?). How do I even go about asking if I am a citizen through that child citizenship act of 2000..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The only ones who might care if you are a citizen are state schools that receive funding from the government (even then I doubt it matters much for acceptance probably only for tuition purposes). Private schools probably don't care. I have no idea how you find out if you qualified for the thing in 2000, maybe ask a lawyer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I wen't in to renew my drivers license and was redirected around for a bit with questions about my Resident Alien Card, but after the SoS called in to the state capitol and faxed a couple forms they confirmed that i was "eligible" (except ive already gotten it 4 years earlier already along with a state id and also passport......).

First time its ever happened...she accused me of being an illegal immigrant and all that random stuff becuase she didnt understand the laws and was rude and condescending before getting verification... but it was kinda good because coming online and doing a bit of research I found out I'm most likely a citizen through the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 anyways, something I never knew.

We came to the US in 1989 and I was like 12 or whatever in 2001 (so under 18) and my mother got naturalized around 1999, doesn't that make me automatically a US Citizen under this act. I was gonna go through naturalization soon anyways but this will save me like half a grand if true.

Now, for the application question, I marked permanent resident on my AADSAS application and not US citizen... would this affect me negatively in anyway if it turns out I really am a US citizen (gaining acceptance under false pretense or something lol?). How do I even go about asking if I am a citizen through that child citizenship act of 2000..

I'm not going to sugarcoat this:

How the hell can you not know if you are a citizen or not?

Honestly, I've read some really interesting stuff on this forum in recent days, but I think this takes the cake. You're 20-21 years old, and you still don't know if you're a citizen or not? Based on what I'm reading, if you weren't born here, haven't been naturalized, and you're holding a Resident Alien Card, you are NOT a citizen. How can somebody be so ignorant? I'd like to answer your question, but I'd rather ask another:

How will a dental school look at a candidate who doesn't even know if he/she is a citizen?

KoughDai aka "Da Princess"

Last edited:

Honestly, I've read some really interesting stuff on this forum in recent days, but I think this takes the cake. You're 20-21 years old, and you still don't know if you're a citizen or not? Based on what I'm reading, if you weren't born here, and you're holding a Resident Alien Card, you are NOT a citizen. How can somebody be so ignorant? I'd like to answer your question, but I'd rather ask another:

How will a dental school look at a candidate who doesn't even know if he/she is a citizen?

What? How do you know he or she is not a citizen?? You are the one coming off really ignorant in the post above. before running off like that I think you shud have searched some stuff up.

I have a question, What kind of a person just e-rages all over the post without knowing anything?

I know op could have done some research, but instead of leaving crazy comments you shud just not post as it clearly is not helpful

OP
My Younger sister became a citizen when my mom did, she got an American passport but at 18 or after she would need to pay a fee and file papers in to get her naturalization certificate. I donno what happens when you dont, but I think all you have to do is get ur certificate and yeah oath is the big thing. You wont need an interview though.

It will cost money not $750 though that you pay filing individually as an adult.

Good luck

Honestly, I've read some really interesting stuff on this forum in recent days, but I think this takes the cake. You're 20-21 years old, and you still don't know if you're a citizen or not? Based on what I'm reading, if you weren't born here, haven't been naturalized, and you're holding a Resident Alien Card, you are NOT a citizen. How can somebody be so ignorant? I'd like to answer your question, but I'd rather ask another:

You're right, I wasn't born here, havn't been naturalized, and I'm holding a Resident Alien Card, but WAIT, turns out I AM a citizen through derivative citizenship. I thought you knew everything...why didn't I see that option in your list?

I hope you treat your patients better than with this arogant superioirty mentality of yours that youve showed here ms "da princess," especially when you are unsure of what you're talking about. "YOU'RE 40, HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW IF YOUR DENTAL INSURANCE COVERS AT LEAST 50% OF AN IMPACTED THIRD MOLAR EXTRACTION FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16 OR NOT? HOW CAN SOMEBODY BE SO IGNORANT? GET OUT! GET OUT!"

I was under the impression I had to be naturalized if I wasn't born here, hence my surprise when I found out I might already be a citizen. It turns out if I was under 18, both parents were naturalized, i am a lawful resident, and I was under their cutody, I automatically became a US Citizen at that point in time; no naturalization needed on my part. Researched around a bit and asked a lawyer friend and found out this is the most likely case. My parents didnt know this and neither did I, and since I was 12 at the time I dont think its something I was looking into much at that age. Now I just gotta send in copies of their naturalization forms to get my cirtificate of citizenship sent to me.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your citizenship status. Just ignore KoughDai. Da Princess has come across as ignorant in other posts also.