Possible Interview Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm Native Hawaiian, among other things (asian and caucasian). Is it appropriate for interviewers to ask about your ethnicities? I don't have a Hawaiian last name and people have told me that I look like anything from indian/asian to hispanic, so I wouldn't be surprised if it came up during an interview.

Since my stats are low, the URM status is going to help me quite a bit, but will admitting that I am part asian automatically disqualify my URM status even if I am legitimately part URM as well?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to answer if it does come up in an interview. Is it even allowed for them to ask?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm Native Hawaiian, among other things (asian and caucasian). Is it appropriate for interviewers to ask about your ethnicities? I don't have a Hawaiian last name and people have told me that I look like anything from indian/asian to hispanic, so I wouldn't be surprised if it came up during an interview.

Since my stats are low, the URM status is going to help me quite a bit, but will admitting that I am part asian automatically disqualify my URM status even if I am legitimately part URM as well?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to answer if it does come up in an interview. Is it even allowed for them to ask?

They normally don't and most importantly, it won't affect their decision unless you are underprivileged/disadvantaged.

Last edited:
Yes, of course it is allowed to be asked. If it is on your application, it is fair game for questioning. However, it does not always come up. It is really up to the interviewer on whether or not to pursue that route of questioning. Although I do not look Hispanic necessarily, my last name is Hispanic. The most I was asked about my ethnicity was to explain my mother's and father's heritage.

I did not apply as URM, as I do not feel as though I have been disadvantaged at any point in my life. I simply applied as Hispanic and Caucasian.

Not sure about your URM-specific question. Perhaps someone could chime in on their similar experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they would ask about your ethnicity as there are a lot of other questions with more relevance to ask.

Is it appropriate for interviewers to ask about your ethnicities?

Not at our school. We might ask we're you're from. But if someone does bring it up, just tell the truth and you'll be fine. I could easily see an interviewer seguing into a Barak Obama question (since he's also multi-ethnic/cultural and from HI.

No

Yes, of course it is allowed to be asked. If it is on your application, it is fair game for questioning. However, it does not always come up. It is really up to the interviewer on whether or not to pursue that route of questioning. Although I do not look Hispanic necessarily, my last name is Hispanic. The most I was asked about my ethnicity was to explain my mother's and father's heritage.

I did not apply as URM, as I do not feel as though I have been disadvantaged at any point in my life. I simply applied as Hispanic and Caucasian.

Not sure about your URM-specific question. Perhaps someone could chime in on their similar experience.

Well I'm glad to share my background, but I really can't afford to be held to the asian standard. As a URM I have a slim chance to get into an MD program. Impossible if I am counted as an asian.

Is it appropriate for interviewers to ask about your ethnicities?

Not at our school. We might ask we're you're from. But if someone does bring it up, just tell the truth and you'll be fine. I could easily see an interviewer seguing into a Barak Obama question (since he's also multi-ethnic/cultural and from HI.

No

Thanks. I didn't think about the Obama thing!