Possible Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefkeef

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am currently in my third year of undergrad at University of Toronto Mississauga, and I am very interested in applying to optometry in Waterloo. I was wondering if a Master's in a related field, such as vision science (which is offered in Waterloo) would help out in my application in the future? I don't have any volunteering or shadowing experience yet, and my cGPA by the end of my 4 years is probably going to be around 3.5, with my last 2 years being very high. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if Waterloo looks for different things than other optometry schools, being that it's canadian. I think if you're just trying to improve your application, there's no need to do a master's degree. 3.5 GPA is probably plenty high, especially if you get a decent OAT score. I would say your time is better spent doing shadowing than a master's.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

I am currently in my third year of undergrad at University of Toronto Mississauga, and I am very interested in applying to optometry in Waterloo. I was wondering if a Master's in a related field, such as vision science (which is offered in Waterloo) would help out in my application in the future? I don't have any volunteering or shadowing experience yet, and my cGPA by the end of my 4 years is probably going to be around 3.5, with my last 2 years being very high. Thank you!

No need to do Masters with a 3.5. What's your sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting accepted into Waterloo is not the same as getting accepted into the states. Your GPA is very high for schools in the states. What is your average percentage? Waterloo looks at percentage, not GPA on the 4.0 scale. The range of the average percentages accepted is 79%-95% at Waterloo

No need to do Masters with a 3.5. What's your sGPA?

Disagree...catsomgcats beat me to it.
Waterloo is extremely selective, I'm guessing 3.5 is below average for their applicant pool.
Let's put it this way: all of English speaking Canada is fighting for 90 spots at a singular school.

You should speak with an admissions counselor at Waterloo (they like it when you show initiative and early interest!) to see what their advice would be.

Get a few volunteer and shadowing experiences under your belt at the least even if you feel overwhelmed with coursework right now.

Last edited:
Disagree...catsomgcats beat me to it.
Waterloo is extremely selective, I'm guessing 3.5 is below average for their applicant pool.
Let's put it this way: all of English speaking Canada is fighting for 90 spots at a singular school.

You should speak with an admissions counselor at Waterloo (they like it when you show initiative and early interest!) to see what their advice would be.

Get a few volunteer and shadowing experiences under your belt at the least even if you feel overwhelmed with coursework right now.

I see. Assumed OP was applying U.S.

My mistake.