possible reapplicant - gap year ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnie94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! It's looking as if I will probably have to be a reapplicant next year. I had one early MD interview and was rejected post-interview. I still haven't heard from many schools, but I was complete at most late July so it's not looking good. I know that my MCAT is my weak point so I'm planning to re-take in April. I was wondering what would be good in my possible gap year (I'm a senior now) if I have to reapply. I've heard from multiple people that I should get a masters, but I was thinking something more along the lines of getting a scribe job. Here's my stats/ECs so maybe there's something else besides my MCAT I can improve on. Thanks!

GPA: ~3.7
sGPA: ~3.6
MCAT: 505
~1000 hours CNA in nursing home
~250 hospital volunteering
~75 hours ESL tutoring
~2 years research, working on my own project
~1.5 years exec board of dance marathon on my campus (was on the exec board for the first and second year dance marathon was on campus so I helped get it started, get it chartered as an organization on campus)
~100 hours shadowing

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your shoes I'd lock down a scribe job over a masters for sure

Reactions: 1 users
I know that you already have some great leadership experience, but I am a fan of having a teaching experience as well to really flesh out your experiences. Perhaps you could get a part or full-time position as a TA or SIA with your undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were in your shoes I'd lock down a scribe job over a masters for sure
thanks! that's kind of what i was leaning towards, i think i'd want to do that more than a masters

I know that you already have some great leadership experience, but I am a fan of having a teaching experience as well to really flesh out your experiences. Perhaps you could get a part or full-time position as a TA or SIA with your undergrad?
thanks for the advice! the bio department head at my undergrad was telling me I could do a masters there and be a TA. at my school, for a masters, you can get tuition for free if you TA 3 classes. i feel like that could be great to round out my app since I already have a good amount of clinical experience

I think either choice could be reasonable, but it doesn't sound like you're all that interested in grad school. In that case, by all means, get out and work as a scribe for a year. It's good experience, and it will also help you get to know some physicians who can hopefully mentor you and maybe write you a strong LOR.

research is always a big plus. try to ge tinvolved with a nearby uni

I think either choice could be reasonable, but it doesn't sound like you're all that interested in grad school. In that case, by all means, get out and work as a scribe for a year. It's good experience, and it will also help you get to know some physicians who can hopefully mentor you and maybe write you a strong LOR.
thank you for your advice! i agree, I think i'm more passionate about becoming a scribe, so I think i'll stick with that

research is always a big plus. try to ge tinvolved with a nearby uni
i'll have about 2 years of research experience once I apply (doing my own project, have taught younger undergrads who are new to my lab, and also helped run a program for high school students in my lab). maybe i'll work as a scribe part time and try to get involved in clinical research. one of my local hospitals has a volunteer clinical research program and i've heard its a really great program!

Hi! It's looking as if I will probably have to be a reapplicant next year. I had one early MD interview and was rejected post-interview. I still haven't heard from many schools, but I was complete at most late July so it's not looking good. I know that my MCAT is my weak point so I'm planning to re-take in April. I was wondering what would be good in my possible gap year (I'm a senior now) if I have to reapply. I've heard from multiple people that I should get a masters, but I was thinking something more along the lines of getting a scribe job. Here's my stats/ECs so maybe there's something else besides my MCAT I can improve on. Thanks!

GPA: ~3.7
sGPA: ~3.6
MCAT: 505
~1000 hours CNA in nursing home
~250 hospital volunteering
~75 hours ESL tutoring
~2 years research, working on my own project
~1.5 years exec board of dance marathon on my campus (was on the exec board for the first and second year dance marathon was on campus so I helped get it started, get it chartered as an organization on campus)
~100 hours shadowing
Spend some time reviewing your PS and EC descrptions. You should have someone take a look at them, and see if you are telling a compelling story. Your MCAT is weak, but the rest of your app is solid. There may be something in your writing, and how you are presenting yourself and your experiences. During this break before the next cycle, I would highly recommend you have someone experienced with writing work with you, as you have to revise it anyway as a reapp. Good luck to you.

OP,

Your MCAT is fine. I got a 501. Our sci gpa is similar, but your overall is higher than mines. In addition, I submitted my Primary application September 29th, and was verified October 2nd. I was offered five interviews so far.
I am saying don't count yourself out until February :).
Try clinical research or like everyone mentioned above, scribe positions. It is pretty hard to get a scribe position, if you are in the metropolitan, but we have faith in you! :)

The above poster is a URM. 501 is fine for a URM. URM admission works far differently; a 501 won't come close to cutting it for a non URM.

The single best thing you can do to boost your app is add 5+ points to your MCAT score. Come back here in May/June with a 511+ to go with your resume and GPA and you will make yourself a much more viable candidate. Right now your MCAT is around the 10th percentile at many lower tier schools(if not lower). Your goal should be to work on getting that score closer to the median of lower tier schools(which will be around a 510-514).

What state are you a resident of also?

Spend some time reviewing your PS and EC descrptions. You should have someone take a look at them, and see if you are telling a compelling story. Your MCAT is weak, but the rest of your app is solid. There may be something in your writing, and how you are presenting yourself and your experiences. During this break before the next cycle, I would highly recommend you have someone experienced with writing work with you, as you have to revise it anyway as a reapp. Good luck to you.
Thank you! If I end up reapplying I will definitely look into my essays and PS. I didn't really think about improving my app from that angle so much so thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: 1 user
The above poster is a URM. 501 is fine for a URM. URM admission works far differently; a 501 won't come close to cutting it for a non URM.

The single best thing you can do to boost your app is add 5+ points to your MCAT score. Come back here in May/June with a 511+ to go with your resume and GPA and you will make yourself a much more viable candidate. Right now your MCAT is around the 10th percentile at many lower tier schools(if not lower). Your goal should be to work on getting that score closer to the median of lower tier schools(which will be around a 510-514).

What state are you a resident of also?
Thanks for the advice! I agree, my MCAT is definitely my weak point. I'm a NJ resident, I actually just got an II from one of my state schools today

Reactions: 2 users
OP,

Your MCAT is fine. I got a 501. Our sci gpa is similar, but your overall is higher than mines. In addition, I submitted my Primary application September 29th, and was verified October 2nd. I was offered five interviews so far.
I am saying don't count yourself out until February :).
Try clinical research or like everyone mentioned above, scribe positions. It is pretty hard to get a scribe position, if you are in the metropolitan, but we have faith in you! :)
Congrats on your interviews! I'm in the NYC/Northern NJ area, not too sure what the scribe market is like in my area. Thanks for the advice!

Congrats on your interviews! I'm in the NYC/Northern NJ area, not too sure what the scribe market is like in my area. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you! Scribe market is not the best. I've been searching for a side job for the longest and couldn't find one :(
Apply to research jobs at MSKCC, NYU, Columbia, Downstate, HSS and etc.

Don't just go "get a masters" $50,000 isn't worth it and it's not all that impressive unless you have a very specific reason to get it.

Don't just go "get a masters" $50,000 isn't worth it and it's not all that impressive unless you have a very specific reason to get it.
i was just wondering if it was a good thing to do, specifically because it would not cost much at all, my dad works at a nearby university and i would have to pay a few small fees, no tuition

You can always do AmeriCorps (a medical or non-medical related program) which is great experience but you the pay would suck so you can find a program close to home so you can take out the housing factor. You can take the Scribes job which would pay a little more than AmeriCorps. You can always work as a CNA for a year since that job is in demand. So basically what I am saying is the sky is the limit. It all depends what type of experience you want.

I personally wouldn't recommend doing a Masters program unless you A) have the money B) It would be useful to you in the future. And I wouldn't recommend doing a SMP just to use up your gap year since you do have the GPA for at least DO school.

You can always do AmeriCorps (a medical or non-medical related program) which is great experience but you the pay would suck so you can find a program close to home so you can take out the housing factor. You can take the Scribes job which would pay a little more than AmeriCorps. You can always work as a CNA for a year since that job is in demand. So basically what I am saying is the sky is the limit. It all depends what type of experience you want.

I personally wouldn't recommend doing a Masters program unless you A) have the money B) It would be useful to you in the future. And I wouldn't recommend doing a SMP just to use up your gap year since you do have the GPA for at least DO school.
thanks! i'll look into AmeriCorps, sounds like something that would be of interest to me!

thanks! i'll look into AmeriCorps, sounds like something that would be of interest to me!
If you have any questions about applying or what it is like to be an AmeriCorp member you can always dm me.