possible to do PhD in 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all -
is it possible at most places to get through the PhD portion of the MD/PhD combo in 2 years if you already have a research project going? Does it help if a lof of the coursework overlaps with the MD portion (i.e.-pharmacology)?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Adcadet
hey all -
is it possible at most places to get through the PhD portion of the MD/PhD combo in 2 years if you already have a research project going? Does it help if a lof of the coursework overlaps with the MD portion (i.e.-pharmacology)?

Coursework won't make much of a difference; increasing lab time is probably the only way to speed up your research project.

I previously worked with a guy here at UAB and have a research project with him should I decide to go back; however, it would be very difficult even so to accomplish a PhD in 2 years. Basically you'd have to spend every rotation with him/her or declare early you're going into thesis research; this gives you ~120 weeks to get your research done. Essentially, you'd like to publish 3 first author papers in quality journals while you're there; that gives you about 40 weeks per paper; very, very difficult, but it can be done.

Of course, if your goal is Cell/Science/Nature, then probably it'll be best to work longer.

:laugh:

Yours,

Jason