Doktor_dud3

Moderator Emeritus
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2017
North Carolina
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi all, I'm back, lol

So, I have a bit of a crisis on my hands. I really have been having a hard time since last Spring regarding my GPA. Basically the transition to online classes, a credit overload, and an OCD diagnosis have wrecked my Junior year.. I have contemplated just giving up at this point. I am still deciding between DO and AA school, but I am worried both will be out of the question due to a terrible GPA trend I have. Basically it goes:

Spring 2020:

Summer 2020:

Fall 2020:
~3.37 (worst case) - ~3.68 (best case) with likely a C in Biochemistry.

The above GPAs are strictly semester GPAs. My cGPA is around a 3.68 depending on the outcome of this semester and my sGPA is around a 3.5-3.57 depending on same.

I am so lost I have no idea what to do. I'm considering just graduating and getting some normal job because I don't know if I can hack it. I am studying for the GRE now and I feel so stupid studying that I just know I would never be able to take the MCAT and get a decent score if I am having trouble with the GRE.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Calizboosted76

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
While I am not an ADCOM, I feel if your apply to a broad spectrum of DO schools and score well on the MCAT you could garner an acceptance.

@Goro @Angus Avagadro

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
Hi all, I'm back, lol

So, I have a bit of a crisis on my hands. I really have been having a hard time since last Spring regarding my GPA. Basically the transition to online classes, a credit overload, and an OCD diagnosis have wrecked my Junior year.. I have contemplated just giving up at this point. I am still deciding between DO and AA school, but I am worried both will be out of the question due to a terrible GPA trend I have. Basically it goes:

Spring 2020:

Summer 2020:

Fall 2020:
~3.37 (worst case) - ~3.68 (best case) with likely a C in Biochemistry.

The above GPAs are strictly semester GPAs. My cGPA is around a 3.68 depending on the outcome of this semester and my sGPA is around a 3.5-3.57 depending on same.

I am so lost I have no idea what to do. I'm considering just graduating and getting some normal job because I don't know if I can hack it. I am studying for the GRE now and I feel so stupid studying that I just know I would never be able to take the MCAT and get a decent score if I am having trouble with the GRE.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
U-shaped GPA trends are common. If you are a JR, you have time to reinvent. IF you're a SR, then you'll likely need a year of reinvention.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Doktor_dud3

Moderator Emeritus
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2017
North Carolina
Status
U-shaped GPA trends are common. If you are a JR, you have time to reinvent. IF you're a SR, then you'll likely need a year of reinvention.
I have about 1 semester left in my senior year. I may go with the AA school then, and see if I get any interviews in a cycle or two. If not I will do a Postbacc and try for DO maybe. What sort of Postbacc should I be looking at? I still have a GPA of about 3.6 even after the downward trend so hopefully maybe only a semester or two to show an uptrend?

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
  1. Non-Student
I have about 1 semester left in my senior year. I may go with the AA school then, and see if I get any interviews in a cycle or two. If not I will do a Postbacc and try for DO maybe. What sort of Postbacc should I be looking at? I still have a GPA of about 3.6 even after the downward trend so hopefully maybe only a semester or two to show an uptrend?
Postbac should have upper level science courses.

What happened with the slide in grades?

Doktor_dud3

Moderator Emeritus
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2017
North Carolina
Status
Postbac should have upper level science courses.

What happened with the slide in grades?
OCD, transition to online classes, etc. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is. Do you think I would still be sonewhat competitive for a non-medical school program? I know your thing is DO but I'm not even sure if AA school will accept me

Angus Avagadro

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Wait. What? You have like a 3.4 average and you feel like you are lost? Have no shot? Seriously! Anesthesia is Assistant school might not take you? First, make sure you mental health issues are under good control. Things will look brighter. A decent MCAT and your are competetive for almost all DO schools. Definitely have a great shot for podiatry. Remember they get reimbursed the same as ortho. So maybe a medical leave or just some time off might make things look brighter. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 4 users

Doktor_dud3

Moderator Emeritus
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2017
North Carolina
Status
Wait. What? You have like a 3.4 average and you feel like you are lost? Have no shot? Seriously! Anesthesia is Assistant school might not take you? First, make sure you mental health issues are under good control. Things will look brighter. A decent MCAT and your are competetive for almost all DO schools. Definitely have a great shot for podiatry. Remember they get reimbursed the same as ortho. So maybe a medical leave or just some time off might make things look brighter. Good luck and best wishes!
Thank you so much! I would take podiatry at this point. I really love the OR atmosphere which is why I am so interested in CAA. I also like that CAAs are generally on good terms with Physicians. So do you think a post-bacc of some sort would be necessary? I have a 3.6 cGPA, 3.5sGPA but its just my semester GPA that is a 3.4 at worst.

Calizboosted76

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
I was accepted to two DO schools with a sub 3.0 cGPA and sub 3.0 sGPA and an upward trend. If you want DO and your mental health is under control, do a semester of post bacc classes if you dont feel confident for an application or ready for the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
  1. Non-Student
OCD, transition to online classes, etc. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is. Do you think I would still be sonewhat competitive for a non-medical school program? I know your thing is DO but I'm not even sure if AA school will accept me
It's not great, but it's not lethal. Without an MCAT score, any further speculation is useless

Reactions: 5 users
Aug 1, 2020
Status
  1. Medical Student
I had a downward trend with multiple failures and a withdrawal semester. I received several interviews and acceptances after I scored high on the MCAT. I also re-took every class I received a C or below. at my local CC.

TragicalDrFaust

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
Just n=1 but I was accepted with a downward trend. My last undergrad semester was a 2.25. Cumulative 3.52.

Nov 11, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
You're going to be fine. A friend of mine was in your exact same position at the beginning of Junior year, she even got a C in biochem the fall of her Junior year. Her GPAc at that time was 3.5. She really buckled down and pulled off higher semester GPAs the next three semesters. She was contemplating a postbacc but ended up getting 4.0s her last two semesters of college. I believe her GPAs was 3.33 and GPAc was 3.6 upon graduating. She applied to 6 DO schools and 20 MD schools. She also got a 517 on the MCAT. She's already gotten multiple As to both DO schools and at least one MD school that I know of.

My advice is, focus on your mental health first. I had a huge mental health scare at the end of Junior year that really affected my grades. Mental health can really tank everything, so get to a more comfortable place mentally first. Next, focus on improving your last three semesters of college. Really focus on getting your GPAs up. Be strategic with the classes you take. Really devote time to studying for the MCAT too. You can definitely get into DO schools with a decent MCAT.

All in all, you've got this. Best of luck! I have no doubt you'll make it!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads