Possible to Recover from Downward Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm back, lol

So, I have a bit of a crisis on my hands. I really have been having a hard time since last Spring regarding my GPA. Basically the transition to online classes, a credit overload, and an OCD diagnosis have wrecked my Junior year.. I have contemplated just giving up at this point. I am still deciding between DO and AA school, but I am worried both will be out of the question due to a terrible GPA trend I have. Basically it goes:

Spring 2020:

Summer 2020:

Fall 2020:
~3.37 (worst case) - ~3.68 (best case) with likely a C in Biochemistry.

The above GPAs are strictly semester GPAs. My cGPA is around a 3.68 depending on the outcome of this semester and my sGPA is around a 3.5-3.57 depending on same.

I am so lost I have no idea what to do. I'm considering just graduating and getting some normal job because I don't know if I can hack it. I am studying for the GRE now and I feel so stupid studying that I just know I would never be able to take the MCAT and get a decent score if I am having trouble with the GRE.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
While I am not an ADCOM, I feel if your apply to a broad spectrum of DO schools and score well on the MCAT you could garner an acceptance.

@Goro @Angus Avagadro

Hi all, I'm back, lol

So, I have a bit of a crisis on my hands. I really have been having a hard time since last Spring regarding my GPA. Basically the transition to online classes, a credit overload, and an OCD diagnosis have wrecked my Junior year.. I have contemplated just giving up at this point. I am still deciding between DO and AA school, but I am worried both will be out of the question due to a terrible GPA trend I have. Basically it goes:

Spring 2020:

Summer 2020:

Fall 2020:
~3.37 (worst case) - ~3.68 (best case) with likely a C in Biochemistry.

The above GPAs are strictly semester GPAs. My cGPA is around a 3.68 depending on the outcome of this semester and my sGPA is around a 3.5-3.57 depending on same.

I am so lost I have no idea what to do. I'm considering just graduating and getting some normal job because I don't know if I can hack it. I am studying for the GRE now and I feel so stupid studying that I just know I would never be able to take the MCAT and get a decent score if I am having trouble with the GRE.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
U-shaped GPA trends are common. If you are a JR, you have time to reinvent. IF you're a SR, then you'll likely need a year of reinvention.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
U-shaped GPA trends are common. If you are a JR, you have time to reinvent. IF you're a SR, then you'll likely need a year of reinvention.
I have about 1 semester left in my senior year. I may go with the AA school then, and see if I get any interviews in a cycle or two. If not I will do a Postbacc and try for DO maybe. What sort of Postbacc should I be looking at? I still have a GPA of about 3.6 even after the downward trend so hopefully maybe only a semester or two to show an uptrend?

I have about 1 semester left in my senior year. I may go with the AA school then, and see if I get any interviews in a cycle or two. If not I will do a Postbacc and try for DO maybe. What sort of Postbacc should I be looking at? I still have a GPA of about 3.6 even after the downward trend so hopefully maybe only a semester or two to show an uptrend?
Postbac should have upper level science courses.

What happened with the slide in grades?

Postbac should have upper level science courses.

What happened with the slide in grades?
OCD, transition to online classes, etc. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is. Do you think I would still be sonewhat competitive for a non-medical school program? I know your thing is DO but I'm not even sure if AA school will accept me

Wait. What? You have like a 3.4 average and you feel like you are lost? Have no shot? Seriously! Anesthesia is Assistant school might not take you? First, make sure you mental health issues are under good control. Things will look brighter. A decent MCAT and your are competetive for almost all DO schools. Definitely have a great shot for podiatry. Remember they get reimbursed the same as ortho. So maybe a medical leave or just some time off might make things look brighter. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 4 users
Wait. What? You have like a 3.4 average and you feel like you are lost? Have no shot? Seriously! Anesthesia is Assistant school might not take you? First, make sure you mental health issues are under good control. Things will look brighter. A decent MCAT and your are competetive for almost all DO schools. Definitely have a great shot for podiatry. Remember they get reimbursed the same as ortho. So maybe a medical leave or just some time off might make things look brighter. Good luck and best wishes!
Thank you so much! I would take podiatry at this point. I really love the OR atmosphere which is why I am so interested in CAA. I also like that CAAs are generally on good terms with Physicians. So do you think a post-bacc of some sort would be necessary? I have a 3.6 cGPA, 3.5sGPA but its just my semester GPA that is a 3.4 at worst.

I was accepted to two DO schools with a sub 3.0 cGPA and sub 3.0 sGPA and an upward trend. If you want DO and your mental health is under control, do a semester of post bacc classes if you dont feel confident for an application or ready for the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
OCD, transition to online classes, etc. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is. Do you think I would still be sonewhat competitive for a non-medical school program? I know your thing is DO but I'm not even sure if AA school will accept me
It's not great, but it's not lethal. Without an MCAT score, any further speculation is useless

Reactions: 5 users
I had a downward trend with multiple failures and a withdrawal semester. I received several interviews and acceptances after I scored high on the MCAT. I also re-took every class I received a C or below. at my local CC.

Just n=1 but I was accepted with a downward trend. My last undergrad semester was a 2.25. Cumulative 3.52.