Possible to see how much financial aid is offered before accepting an offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we just ask the school?

Members don't see this ad.

WonderY said:
Do we just ask the school?

What part of financial aid are you wondering about? Loans, scholarships, grants?.. In regards to loans you will qualify for the government (i.e. Stafford Loans) and what they don't cover you can make up with private ones. In order to qualify for need based aid you'll have to submit both your's and your parent's 2005 taxes (unless you are married). Based on that data the school will determine if you qualify for certain low-interest loans and grants. If there is any scholarship money or grants provided the school they should notify you of that, in addition to all that I have mentioned above, when the financial aid office contacts you. Some schools enclose the information in a packet along with your acceptance letter, while others send it a bit later. If you haven't heard from your school(s) yet you should shortly - and if you haven't check out their website for the information or give them a call.

Many of the well established schools have large endowments and scholarships available. Some are need based some are merit based for getting good grades or good board scores. You have to ask the financial aid office about it. There are also research grants that you can apply but once again you have to look into that more.

Before taking out the MAX amount of loans so you can live large, look at all your options and make a budget and a plan. Living like a student while in dental school might be easier than paying off an extra 100K WITH interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was confused about this, too. Let me make sure I understand:

1. If the school wants to give any gifts or merit scholarships or the like, they'll notify you around when they accept you

2. In order to apply for any SCHOOL financial aid, you need to fill out FAFSA and send in your and your parents' tax forms. Therefore, it may be best to send in your deposits for now to hold you place while all of that goes through, right? Most schools say that the financial aid office doesn't contact you until April!

3. Once you hear about #1 and #2, you can apply for the government loans/grants (Stafford, Health Professional, etc.). At this point you'll know how much you need to borrow

4. If you exceed gov't money, then you start looking for private (bank) loans.

Is this all correct? So am I on a roll if I fill out FAFSA next week and just send in the deposits to the schools I'm thinking of? (I figure I'll shell out a few more hundred to avoid losing many thousands by choosing the wrong school)

I'mFillingFine said:
1. If the school wants to give any gifts or merit scholarships or the like, they'll notify you around when they accept you

2. In order to apply for any SCHOOL financial aid, you need to fill out FAFSA and send in your and your parents' tax forms. Therefore, it may be best to send in your deposits for now to hold you place while all of that goes through, right? Most schools say that the financial aid office doesn't contact you until April!

3. Once you hear about #1 and #2, you can apply for the government loans/grants (Stafford, Health Professional, etc.). At this point you'll know how much you need to borrow

4. If you exceed gov't money, then you start looking for private (bank) loans.

Is this all correct? So am I on a roll if I fill out FAFSA next week and just send in the deposits to the schools I'm thinking of? (I figure I'll shell out a few more hundred to avoid losing many thousands by choosing the wrong school)

1. Correct.

2. You fill out the FAFSA. Tax forms aren't required, unless your specific school has some requirement of that sort, but I've never heard of that. You will need to reference the tax forms to input information on the FAFSA form, but you don't physically mail the tax forms anywhere. Also, paying deposits has nothing to do with financial aid and everything to do with securing yourself a seat. If you can't make up your mind, then pay multiple schools and choose those schools on the FAFSA school section. It doesn't matter if you list a school that you never attend (for example, you list dental school X and dental school Y on FAFSA, but only attend X).

3. Your school will contact you with this information. Filling out the FAFSA is the key part, then your school will process most of the information for you. What they will do is tell you how much you qualify for, and ask you how much you want to take out. For example, they'll say you qualify for X amount Stafford Sub and Y amount Stafford Unsub, as well as Z amount private loans. How much of each of those do you want to borrow?

4. You don't look for private loans at most schools. Most schools will give you names of companies that students have used in the past--typically companies that specialize in dental student loans. Or, in the case of my school, we run nearly all private loans through Access Group by default unless the borrower wants to choose something different.

So essentially you need to pay deposits at schools where you want to go (or pay one deposit and choose that one school!) and then fill out the FAFSA form. You'll renew that FAFSA form each year you are in school. After that, just sit back and wait. It is NOT as difficult as you may think it is.

ItsGavinC said:
1. Correct.

2. You fill out the FAFSA. Tax forms aren't required, unless your specific school has some requirement of that sort, but I've never heard of that. You will need to reference the tax forms to input information on the FAFSA form, but you don't physically mail the tax forms anywhere. Also, paying deposits has nothing to do with financial aid and everything to do with securing yourself a seat. If you can't make up your mind, then pay multiple schools and choose those schools on the FAFSA school section. It doesn't matter if you list a school that you never attend (for example, you list dental school X and dental school Y on FAFSA, but only attend X).

3. Your school will contact you with this information. Filling out the FAFSA is the key part, then your school will process most of the information for you. What they will do is tell you how much you qualify for, and ask you how much you want to take out. For example, they'll say you qualify for X amount Stafford Sub and Y amount Stafford Unsub, as well as Z amount private loans. How much of each of those do you want to borrow?

4. You don't look for private loans at most schools. Most schools will give you names of companies that students have used in the past--typically companies that specialize in dental student loans. Or, in the case of my school, we run nearly all private loans through Access Group by default unless the borrower wants to choose something different.

So essentially you need to pay deposits at schools where you want to go (or pay one deposit and choose that one school!) and then fill out the FAFSA form. You'll renew that FAFSA form each year you are in school. After that, just sit back and wait. It is NOT as difficult as you may think it is.

Thank you SOOOOOOO much! This helps a ton! :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Though I wish I could do FAFSA while I'm still at home visiting the 'rents! Ah well. Time to buy those extra cell phone minutes :rolleyes:

oh wait, one quick confirmation: So it's all right to keep your deposits in a few schools until both contact you about financial aid? I imagine it's common to wait until April or so to make your final decision.....