Possible to switch from CCM to PCCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrispyWonTon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current PGY-4 CCM fellow. One of our Pulmonary Fellows may transfer out. We have CCM, Pulm, and PCCM tracks at our institution. Is it possible to get credit for PGY-4 in CCM and still complete PCCM in a three year time span? Is it feasible without inconveniencing the GME? The last thing I want is to make someone else's life harder to facilitate this, if it's even possible. Looking forward to your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you can do so with the support of your program, I would strongly recommend it and push really hard to do so. And you should definitely be able to get credit for the critical care time. The job opportunities as PCCM are much broader and I advise everyone to take that path if it's open to them. I say this as someone who is finishing up my CCM fellowship and if I had to do it again, I would do PCCM.

Reactions: 1 user
Current PGY-4 CCM fellow. One of our Pulmonary Fellows may transfer out. We have CCM, Pulm, and PCCM tracks at our institution. Is it possible to get credit for PGY-4 in CCM and still complete PCCM in a three year time span? Is it feasible without inconveniencing the GME? The last thing I want is to make someone else's life harder to facilitate this, if it's even possible. Looking forward to your replies.
Only your PD can answer this and it is clearly contingent on that person actually leaving. Depending on how the program is structured you would likely need to make up clinic time to be compliant with ACGME requirements and the PD would have to be willing to make a custom schedule for you. This could result in holes in the schedule for next year from your absence as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only your PD can answer this and it is clearly contingent on that person actually leaving. Depending on how the program is structured you would likely need to make up clinic time to be compliant with ACGME requirements and the PD would have to be willing to make a custom schedule for you. This could result in holes in the schedule for next year from your absence as well.
Should I write to ABIM to check if they would let me sit for both boards? Initial idea was to have me complete critical care rotations by the end of the year and then start the two year pulm track but this isn't feasible as I don't have any prior fellowships, I guess I will ask my PD how willing he would be to help me achieve this. He is very supportive and the nicest person but I'm guessing GME can still quash it if they are unwilling.

Should I write to ABIM to check if they would let me sit for both boards? Initial idea was to have me complete critical care rotations by the end of the year and then start the two year pulm track but this isn't feasible as I don't have any prior fellowships, I guess I will ask my PD how willing he would be to help me achieve this. He is very supportive and the nicest person but I'm guessing GME can still quash it if they are unwilling.
Yea talk to your PD. They would have to slot you in to a 2 year pulm program (which can include CCM) to qualify you for the pulm boards which you would need to complete before the ccm ones.

do the 2 year pulm program first like others suggested, then finish off the rest of your ccm fellowship , if possible