How to overcome low STEP scores to match into PCCM

Started by porkyqkr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

porkyqkr

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there, I'm a USMD from a mid-tier medical school, current PGY-1 at a large community center in the Midwest. Step 1/2 196/216, no failures or other red flags in my application. I write this post because I only had one interview for residency and so I'm pretty traumatized at the thought of going through ERAS again to pursue a PCCM fellowship.

In my head, I have a game plan to maximize my odds of matching but I wanted to know if there were any other things to consider:
- Ace STEP 3.
- Be an excellent resident to collect strong and personal letters of recommendation.
- Pump out quality case reports, QI projects and maybe an IRB and attempt to publish to the big PCCM conferences (CHEST, ATS, etc)
- Do away rotations at nearby academic centers and be a superstar and dazzle the PDs/staff.
- Participate in extracurriculars like POCUS, medical education, residency wellness committee, etc.
- Consider doing a chief year (??)

Realistically, is there anything else I can do? I'd love to go to a program like UIC, Rush or Loyola but in my experience, I will probably be screened out by these bigger academic centers by my low STEP scores alone.

Thank you!