Are there no jobs available for CCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

critcareMD

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I will be graduating next year (2026), and have been looking for jobs. However, it looks like there are no jobs available in desirable areas at all. 😔
 
Yeah, the fulltime and locums markets seemed to contract a few years ago. I used to be able to go on practice link and find several opportunities in my state, and get recruiter calls/texts/emails for locums coverage. Now, the people at my new job complain about how there are too many of us and not enough ICU time to go around, practice link has only two or three horrible HCA/ICC jobs posted, and I haven't heard from an ICU locums recruiter in months.

I don't know if the covid-era displaced docs all found places and settled down, hospital systems consolidated and closed some ICUs, supply increased to meet demand (doubtful), or staffing models changed to require fewer physicians (the ICC jobs now all look like "you'll cover 30-40 patients per day with two APPs").
 
I’ve been working for ICC/HCA for a couple of years now. We run an average 20 patient census with 1 doc/1 app daytime and 1 doc night tim . We also have Epic, which is unusual. I have heard all the horror stories and joined as PRN initially but I am actually really happy here.

To OP, “desirable” areas will not have perpetually vacant jobs. Reach out to the medical directors and allow time for movement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve been working for ICC/HCA for a couple of years now. We run an average 20 patient census with 1 doc/1 app daytime and 1 doc night tim . We also have Epic, which is unusual. I have heard all the horror stories and joined as PRN initially but I am actually really happy here.

To OP, “desirable” areas will not have perpetually vacant jobs. Reach out to the medical directors and allow time for movement.
Curious how your workload is for a job like this. I’ve been eyeing a similar position. Of the places I’ve worked as an attending There seems to be quite a bit of variation and how heavily the nurses rely on the intensivist for small decisions that mess up the flow, which I imagine would be very important to see a census that size.

If it’s a place where you can give verbal orders and nurses put it in, and you aren’t constantly being hounded to put in orders for restraints and Tylenol, and don’t need to do a lot of corralling to get consultants to come and see patients. I could see it being very reasonable.

One of the sites I work at now is like that and it’s lovely. The other site it’s nearly impossible to get a consultant on the phone orHospitalist to accept downgrades, to the point that I end up just discharging quite a few people to rehab or home myself, which is maddening.
 
Curious how your workload is for a job like this. I’ve been eyeing a similar position. Of the places I’ve worked as an attending There seems to be quite a bit of variation and how heavily the nurses rely on the intensivist for small decisions that mess up the flow, which I imagine would be very important to see a census that size.

If it’s a place where you can give verbal orders and nurses put it in, and you aren’t constantly being hounded to put in orders for restraints and Tylenol, and don’t need to do a lot of corralling to get consultants to come and see patients. I could see it being very reasonable.

One of the sites I work at now is like that and it’s lovely. The other site it’s nearly impossible to get a consultant on the phone orHospitalist to accept downgrades, to the point that I end up just discharging quite a few people to rehab or home myself, which is maddening.

There is minimal pushback to verbal orders except when it comes to renewing restraints, the initial order can be entered by nurses. Medication orders during rounds are entered by the pharmacist, I typically enter others myself on my computer on wheels, some other folks elect to have the NP enter them. Downgrading is easy with either a text or phone call to the triage hospitalist. Discharges to LTAC are our responsibility but process is straightforward thanks to Epic. I don’t see myself discharging any other times except to GIP hospice or at the time of death which just requires a discharge summary. I like it here a lot, the workload is very manageable and more than that, the people I work with and the general culture of the place is great. Also pays very well, which is nice.

This is a contrasting opinion to the general negativity towards ICC/HCA jobs. I’m sure there are many bad gigs out there, but it’s probably not a good idea to totally write off a position from the get go because it’s at an HCA hospital. There is probably significant variation from hospital to hospital and culture is always local.
 
Last edited:
There is minimal pushback to verbal orders except when it comes to renewing restraints, the initial order can be entered by nurses. Medication orders during rounds are entered by the pharmacist, I typically enter others myself on my computer on wheels, some other folks elect to have the NP enter them. Downgrading is easy with either a text or phone call to the triage hospitalist. Discharges to LTAC are our responsibility but process is straightforward thanks to Epic. I don’t see myself discharging any other times except to GIP hospice or at the time of death which just requires a discharge summary. I like it here a lot, the workload is very manageable and more than that, the people I work with and the general culture of the place is great. Also pays very well, which is nice.

This is a contrasting opinion to the general negativity towards ICC/HCA jobs. I’m sure there are many bad gigs out there, but it’s probably not a good idea to totally write off a position from the get go because it’s at an HCA hospital. There is probably significant variation from hospital to hospital and culture is always local.
Wow. Not at all my experience with HCA/ICC. Which state is this?