Possible to take the Mcat in time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgirl92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physics, semester one = summer 2012
Bio, chem = fall/spring 2012
Organic chemistry = winter 2013
2nd semester of Physics = summer 2013
Molecular/Cell biology, Genetics, maybe Biochem = fall/spring 2013 (junior year)
MCAT = summer of junior year

Is this a good plan? Is it too much crammed in? I'm debating whether I should take an extra year or just do it like this, any input is really appreciated guys

Members don't see this ad.

I hope so. I was just worried since taking the extra year or not determines whether I end up taking the new mcat or the old one, so I need to know what my game plan is

Members don't see this ad :)
you should take the mcat the summer after junior year AND take a year off. you should not underestimate the weight or difficulty of the mcat. it's a hard test for a lot of people, and it's 33% of your application basically. you should take that full summer to study and take it in august/september or whenever your summer ends.

did you intend to apply the same summer you are taking the mcat? that doesn't make sense.

I'm taking the MCAT May 24th and applying at the beginning of the cycle. I don't see how that doesn't make sense (@ReptarBar).

that's similar to what i did except i took physics freshman year. it's doable but i would try to avoid summer classes if possible. it's debatable but if math isn't your strong suit, cramming all of that information into a few weeks is a rather difficult proposition. if you're good at calculus, go for it.

you should take the mcat the summer after junior year AND take a year off. you should not underestimate the weight or difficulty of the mcat. it's a hard test for a lot of people, and it's 33% of your application basically. you should take that full summer to study and take it in august/september or whenever your summer ends.

did you intend to apply the same summer you are taking the mcat? that doesn't make sense.

What are you talking about.. what doesn't make sense about it? Don't students generally take the MCAT around summer of junior year and then apply.......

that's similar to what i did except i took physics freshman year. it's doable but i would try to avoid summer classes if possible. it's debatable but if math isn't your strong suit, cramming all of that information into a few weeks is a rather difficult proposition. if you're good at calculus, go for it.

There are 14 week winter classes, I bet that would be better :confused: Do you think its a good idea to take bio / chem and physics in the same semesters? If that is do-able, AWESOME

oh well i didn't know you meant to take it in may. that is fine. i am on quarter system so when you say "summer" i think it means June-Sept. may is fine since you can still get your application in by june, but anything june and onward would be too late imo for the cycle.

most students at my school take the mcat at the end of summer following their sophomore year because they do all of their pre-reqs the first 2 years. end of that summer and january/april of junior year seems to be the most popular.

yeah may seems to be a good time. my plan is set!