Possible to transfer from pharmacy school to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigsportsguy

Reaction score
To provide background, I'm about 2 months into pharmacy school and I fear I made a big mistake choosing pharmacy. The main concern is unemployment after graduation. Just hop on over to the pharmacy forum and scroll about one swipe down the page and you will surely find out what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the move from pharmacy school to dental school is possible, as in, has anyone heard of someone successfully doing this? I want to go to the dental school admissions office directly and find out more but I'm also worried that my pharmacy school administration would catch wind of this, which could tarnish my reputation at the school.

Does anyone have any insight/advice on what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

You’d have to apply to dental school like anyone else

Reactions: 2 users
Drop out of pharmacy school asap. Take the DAT. Apply next cycle

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Although you may have a dental school under the same University as your pharmacy school, they are completely separate programs. Transferring is not an option in any manner. Above stated options are your only ones.

Or just be confident in your decions and stand out sufficiently that you will be able to find a job. There is unemployment for recently graduated dentists as well (not to the same extent) but don't live under the assumption that the grass is greener on the other side.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacy and dental schools have very little interactions with each other, so it's highly unlikely that they will allow you to transfer because of the difference in admissions requirements.

I was in a PhD program and withdrew due to the job prospects before completing it. I was almost 2 years in.
I then took the DAT and applied to dental school. They required transcripts from every college you attended, so hiding it is not a good idea.
Depending on when you are planning on taking the DAT, you may be too late for this cycle, but you may apply for next cycle.
Find out what you really want to do, and stick with it. Sometimes it's hard to make the leap of faith, but if you believe you will be a competitive applicant, then do what you need to do to make yourself happy.

To provide background, I'm about 2 months into pharmacy school and I fear I made a big mistake choosing pharmacy. The main concern is unemployment after graduation. Just hop on over to the pharmacy forum and scroll about one swipe down the page and you will surely find out what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the move from pharmacy school to dental school is possible, as in, has anyone heard of someone successfully doing this? I want to go to the dental school admissions office directly and find out more but I'm also worried that my pharmacy school administration would catch wind of this, which could tarnish my reputation at the school.

You'll be fine, pharmacy students find jobs while finishing up school. Save yourself the extra 400-600K price tag for the dental diploma and stay with pharm.

Reactions: 1 users

If dental is what you want, then drop out pharmacy then take DAT. If pharmacy is what you want, then stay. Follow your dream and don't let YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS. JUST DO IT

As someone whose wife is in pharmacy, I can tell you that dentistry isn't the answer.

When I graduated in 2015, my classmates and I sort of looked around at each other and said where our are jobs? Most people went GPR, pulled some part time days at private practice or went corporate. According to the misses, we were where pharmacy was 2008....10 years later pharmacy is still getting worse and trust me by 2025 I expect dentistry to be there.

I wouldn't do dentistry unless you're passionate about dentistry. I seriously mean that. I might make more than my wife, but by the time student loans get added into the mix we break about even.

Reactions: 2 users