Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedStress

AMEX Black
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get into an MSTP with a 3.4-3.5 GPA from a hard ivy, pending an mcat score 30-34 and years of research with pubs?

I really want to get an MSTP in NYC. But I don't know if I should apply for it or just apply MD. My overall goal is to go to school in NYC

Should I apply to MSTP?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely apply. you have a good shot, particularly if you have good letters of rec and interview well. I don't think it really hurts you too much in terms of MD admissions to apply to MD/PhD. I got into a couple places MD only, but most of the places that didn't want me for MD/PhD also didn't want me for MD...generally for pretty similar reasons, as far as I could gather. Also, leave yourself open to programs in other places. You never know, you might totally fall in love with a place once you visit it.

Good luck,

Adam

Your numbers should be fine for a MD/PhD program. They will be looking mostly at your research background. (I heard that someone got into frickin' Harvard MSTP this year with a MCAT below 30.) NYC has 5 MSTPs so you have a lot to choose from. Contacting the programs this summer to talk about your interest in doing an MD/PhD might help them to remember you and grant an interview next winter.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys
I'm just praying that my mcat scores are good.... I scored a 31 on my last practice, but who knows.

BigRedStress:

Depending on how you score on the MCAT, you should be in decent shape. A 3.5 from Cornell is no small feat.

Another option you might consider is matriculating the "plain vanilla"-MD route to a school with an MSTP program, and then apply to the MSTP during your first year. Many MSTP programs often allow students to apply from within the school, especially if slots open up, eg., they had a lower yield than the previous year, somebody dropped out of the program, etc.

Cheers
-a.

Hey don't worry about it. Every school is different, instead of just saying that you want to attend any school in NYC..you should look at each one and the programs that they have to offer. While your doing that look at the demographics of past student applicants and there average GPA's and MCAT scores. Some school make exceptions if you have excellent other qualities..publications never hurt! Do some research.

hey all
thanks for the replies...
I have figured out my total GPA after just recieving my final grades... a 4.4468
now, i do not know what they round to so it's a 3.45 from cornell.
I hope this will be enough
I also hope my mcat scores are good! find out next week!

okay just to update.. i got a 8,11,Q,11 = 30
I'm not putting english as my second language which is the truth and one of my recommenders wrote that in their letter.
will I be good for some md-phd programs?
My ideal palce is einstein....

I don't want to sound discouraging but the VR-8 may be a little low. Your science scores are fine, I'm wondering if you are going to take the MCAT again. It is definitely possible, so far as I've known, to get into a good MSTP as long as you kick ass on your research projects. If you think your research is exceptional, forget about what i've said and apply. If i were you i'd probably retake the MCAT though. I'd also talk to the advisor. I've heard that Cornell has a good pre-med advising system.

BigRedStress:

Did you come to US in the recent past? If you did, then you should explain this. If you came when you were relatively young (10ish), then you're really fighting an uphill battle.

Also, it shows in your Undergraduate record--an 8 in MCAT verbal and say A's in tough English classes might mean something bad to the ADCOMs.

Also, which professor did you research with? Reason I ask is, I am going to be in Cornell, as an entering sophomore this Fall. I really want to get involved in research. I was hoping you could provide info on some good Professors to do research with? I had no previous experience, but am very good academically and interpersonally.

Thank you, and I hope the best of luck with your Med school endeavors.

You seem to be an excellent candidate to enter an M.D. program. Consider applying as an M.D., and then sign up for the PhD option later in your school career. Most (if not all) let you do this, I believe.

i'm not sure if this will be exactly helpful to you. i know someone with around 3.6 gpa from one of the top public univ, with 10V 11P 12B in the MCAT. at the time of application, he had about 3 yrs of research experience and has gone to national conferences to present papers, etc. he got accepted in MD/Phd programs in UPenn, Mayo, Columbia, NYU ( i don't remeber the rest) but i know that he at least interviewed with UCSF and Stanford. since your stats are just a tad lower i think you have a pretty goood chance in getting in einstein since it's below these schools in ranking. consequently, it's not too late or too much to bump your numbers up.