Possibly dumb question about calculating Last 45/36...

Started by EB73674
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EB73674

Ohio State c/o 2026, ECC Intern 2027
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Doing some quick calculations to see if i need to add another course to my fall roster to boost up my last 45 or 36 credits, and I'm trying to figure out a possibly obvious problem. My undergrad institution generally assigned 4 credits per class, and the average course load was 4 classes per semester. I know other schools have them generally be 3 credits a class, and 5 classes a semester. My current post-bacc institution has all science classes generally be 1 credit, and labs are usually 0.5 per semester, with combined lab-lecture combos as 1.5. How do I translate those 1 credit science courses (meet 2.5-3 hrs a week) into last 45 or 36 credits important to vet schools? I'm assuming they don't mean go all the way back to my junior year of undergrad when i've got almost a full 2 years of post-bacc work?

Sorry if this is an obvious question!
 
Hi all,

Doing some quick calculations to see if i need to add another course to my fall roster to boost up my last 45 or 36 credits, and I'm trying to figure out a possibly obvious problem. My undergrad institution generally assigned 4 credits per class, and the average course load was 4 classes per semester. I know other schools have them generally be 3 credits a class, and 5 classes a semester. My current post-bacc institution has all science classes generally be 1 credit, and labs are usually 0.5 per semester, with combined lab-lecture combos as 1.5. How do I translate those 1 credit science courses (meet 2.5-3 hrs a week) into last 45 or 36 credits important to vet schools? I'm assuming they don't mean go all the way back to my junior year of undergrad when i've got almost a full 2 years of post-bacc work?

Sorry if this is an obvious question!
Is your post-bacc a graduate program? Or just more undergrad level classes at a different school?
 
It depends on your school, but it will probably be either 4 credit hours or 3.33 credit hours per class.

I went to two different schools that did something like this. At my undergrad institution a 1 credit class = 4 credit hours at other schools. For my grad program 1 class = 3.33 credit hours.

You should be able to find this info in your school's academic handbook (try googling some combo of "credit hours conversion quarter semester" for your school name). One of my school's also included the conversion info in the fine print on the back of my official transcript, so you could try looking at that as well if you have one handy. If you can't find it you can always call your Registrar's office and ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is your post-bacc a graduate program? Or just more undergrad level classes at a different school?

They're undergrad science classes, it's just a slightly more structured pre-health curriculum. No grad school classes under my belt.
 
It depends on your school, but it will probably be either 4 credit hours or 3.33 credit hours per class.

I went to two different schools that did something like this. At my undergrad institution a 1 credit class = 4 credit hours at other schools. For my grad program 1 class = 3.33 credit hours.

You should be able to find this info in your school's academic handbook (try googling some combo of "credit hours conversion quarter semester" for your school name). One of my school's also included the conversion info in the fine print on the back of my official transcript, so you could try looking at that as well if you have one handy. If you can't find it you can always call your Registrar's office and ask.


Awesome idea, thank you! I looked and my school has it listed in an obscure handbook that I was never aware existed! 😀 Looks like generally I'll have 4 credits per 1 credit class here. Thanks again!