POST - 911

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamilitary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been getting contradictory information regarding the Post-911 bill and was hoping to get some information from someone that has received HPSP / HCSP, completed their full obligation, and then separated and utilized their GI/Post 911 Bill.

So while one is paying back their HPSP, do they become eligible for full Post 911 Benefits after 3 years? Or must they complete their entire HPSP payback, then serve 3 additional years before receiving full benefits?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link, I've read it multiple times before posting my question. The information outlined seems pretty straight forward and suggests that HPSP/HCSP has no bearing on Post-911 eligibility which has always been my understanding.

It's just confusing and frustrating when a VA REP states that "for officers to qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill you have to finish your initial pay back THEN serve at least 90 days to obtain 40% reimbursement for school. Each month it increases until you've served 3 years post pay back and get 100% tuition reimbursement."

I'll just chalk that up to one person having poor information.

I'm getting 90% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill for my civilian residency. Where they got 90% beats me. I've served over 3 years. The civilians that work @ the VA office on-post said I couldn't get any of the VA educational benefits because of HPSP however, I still applied and got the 90%.

Thanks for the link, I've read it multiple times before posting my question. The information outlined seems pretty straight forward and suggests that HPSP/HCSP has no bearing on Post-911 eligibility which has always been my understanding.

It's just confusing and frustrating when a VA REP states that "for officers to qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill you have to finish your initial pay back THEN serve at least 90 days to obtain 40% reimbursement for school. Each month it increases until you've served 3 years post pay back and get 100% tuition reimbursement."

I'll just chalk that up to one person having poor information.

Yes please tell me that's not true...

I'm getting 90% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill for my civilian residency. Where they got 90% beats me. I've served over 3 years. The civilians that work @ the VA office on-post said I couldn't get any of the VA educational benefits because of HPSP however, I still applied and got the 90%.

Do they actually pay up to 100% of in-state costs if you go to a public institution, OR a max. of 25K if you go private? So it's basically a "free" HPSP for specialty?

Are you at a private or public program?

Do they actually pay up to 100% of in-state costs if you go to a public institution, OR a max. of 25K if you go private? So it's basically a "free" HPSP for specialty?

Yes, they pay up to 100% in-state costs and about 21k max for private schools per year. Effective 01 Jan 2016, states must give Veterans automatic in-state tuition. For example, you could be a resident of California and have a residency in New York and get NY in-state costs for your residency. You'll get E-5 BAH w/ dependents for zip code of the school as well. The BAH is also based off what percentage the VA decides to give you. I'm going to a public residency so I'll get 90% of the in-state tuition costs + 90% of the BAH for the area paid to me. I found the error in my paperwork revolves around the date of rank the VA used to give me my percentage. They've cut almost a year off my Active duty time thus leaving me time that is equivalent to 90% coverage. I could dispute the matter however, I'll being pay very little out of pocket for a speciality and I'm ok with it.

Yes, they pay up to 100% in-state costs and about 21k max for private schools per year. Effective 01 Jan 2016, states must give Veterans automatic in-state tuition. For example, you could be a resident of California and have a residency in New York and get NY in-state costs for your residency. You'll get E-5 BAH w/ dependents for zip code of the school as well. The BAH is also based off what percentage the VA decides to give you. I'm going to a public residency so I'll get 90% of the in-state tuition costs + 90% of the BAH for the area paid to me. I found the error in my paperwork revolves around the date of rank the VA used to give me my percentage. They've cut almost a year off my Active duty time thus leaving me time that is equivalent to 90% coverage. I could dispute the matter however, I'll being pay very little out of pocket for a speciality and I'm ok with it. .

So, hypothetically, if the in-state tuition costs $50K, they'll pay full 50K, even though they'd give private only 21K?

This is awesome! I mean, it'd be amazing to do a residency in the military, and I don't doubt the programs are among the best in the world. But if it's so hard to get in at a military residency, then this benefit really is a great deal. Why did they cut 10%? Don't you only need 3 years of active duty to get the full benefit? How many years of active duty did the VA give you credit for?

So, hypothetically, if the in-state tuition costs $50K, they'll pay full 50K, even though they'd give private only 21K?

This is awesome! I mean, it'd be amazing to do a residency in the military, and I don't doubt the programs are among the best in the world. But if it's so hard to get in at a military residency, then this benefit really is a great deal. Why did they cut 10%? Don't you only need 3 years of active duty to get the full benefit? How many years of active duty did the VA give you credit for?

Yes, you're absolutely right. They'll cover the entire tuition cost for in-state schools regardless of price. Essentially they started counting my days on active duty when I PCS'd to my first duty station. They didn't count my time @ BOLC or my current deployment time for some reason. I could argue however, at this point I don't care. I think being able to use the VA education benefits for a specialty program like this is amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
I think being able to use the VA education benefits for a specialty program like this is amazing.

I agree! Thank you for sharing this information with me and for patiently answering all these questions.