Post-Acceptance Motivation (or lack thereof)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liebensaft

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, ever since I got my acceptance letter a couple weeks ago, I think I've pretty much checked-out. I like a few of my classes and am still getting A's and B's in all of them, but seriously feel like Peter Gibbons in Office Space. There's little to no motivation to go to classes when I know this is my last semester and my undergrad career is going to be behind me. I was wondering how many other people are in the same situation. The beautiful weather doesn't make it any better.

So, how many of you have started skipping a lot of classes and generally given up? Maybe not a complete lack of caring, but just enough to get B's? To those of you who got accepted a few months ago, does this still apply? It's a lot harder to slack for a full semester or more.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, ever since I got my acceptance letter a couple weeks ago, I think I've pretty much checked-out. I like a few of my classes and am still getting A's and B's in all of them, but seriously feel like Peter Gibbons in Office Space. There's little to no motivation to go to classes when I know this is my last semester and my undergrad career is going to be behind me. I was wondering how many other people are in the same situation. The beautiful weather doesn't make it any better.

So, how many of you have started skipping a lot of classes and generally given up? Maybe not a complete lack of caring, but just enough to get B's? To those of you who got accepted a few months ago, does this still apply? It's a lot harder to slack for a full semester or more.

Be careful. Most of the time, you're CONDITIONALLY accepted. I too have lost all motivation to attend class, and blatantly asked my school if this last semester has any weight on matriculation. They said no, so I'm appealing to withdraw from all my classes. I'd rather just work full time.

Be careful. Most of the time, you're CONDITIONALLY accepted. I too have lost all motivation to attend class, and blatantly asked my school if this last semester has any weight on matriculation. They said no, so I'm appealing to withdraw from all my classes. I'd rather just work full time.

Yeah, I made sure to carefully read the letter. All I have to do is achieve C's or better. Only ever gotten one C and don't see myself getting any D's, so we're looking like smooth sailing from now on. I already sent in my deposit and stuff too, so unless I skip on test day, I'm golden. Though I wish I could take your route. I'm pretty broke by this point. I'm taking 19 units right now too, so wish I even had time for a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I made sure to carefully read the letter. All I have to do is achieve C's or better. Only ever gotten one C and don't see myself getting any D's, so we're looking like smooth sailing from now on. I already sent in my deposit and stuff too, so unless I skip on test day, I'm golden. Though I wish I could take your route. I'm pretty broke by this point. I'm taking 19 units right now too, so wish I even had time for a job.

Once you start pharmacy school, you'll start being busy again. If you relax too much here and then try to get into gear, it'll be a huge adjustment.

Dude, I checked out since November last yr.:( Right now I am pulling all Bs in my classes but at this point I am satisfied with that. I went to school throughout the summer last yr and my brain needs a break. I can't wait for summer this yr because I need to rest desperately. Most of my classes are pretty easy this semester but I have total lack of motivation to pull anything other than Bs.

PS. Like someone said, as long as you receive Cs or higher in your remaining pre-reqs, you should be OK.

I am feeling the same way so don't feel all alone! The good news is that it is almost over. I have A's in all of my classes so if I slack off I will still be okay but I am too much of an overachiever, meaning when I am a slacker, I feel guilty about it... that can be good or bad :/

My problem is all the anxiety I seem to have since getting my acceptance letter. I have a million things to do. I am trying to mentally prepare for what is ahead and get things in order for me and my family to move. It seems overwhelming sometimes so I have to stop thinking about it and just do it.
I think it is my excitement getting the best of me!:idea:

I'm in the same situation! But problem is I already graduated last fall! I'm only taking one class right now to finish the pre-reqs (public speaking) and other than that I'm just working. Yeah...I requested to work full time and am currently working 40hrs /week...and I still feel that isn't enough to keep me busy D: ...when I have my days off...I spend with my gf...but most of the time...I feel academically unproductive. What to do...:sleep:

I'm in the same boat except for me it's been since January. I didn't know I was accepted until a week ago but I have mostly all electives left for my pre-reqs and I've always hated electives. I'm taking elementary Spanish, jazz history, and intro to U.S. history lol. All classes you don't have to study for:thumbup:

I still have immunology and micro, but micro is kind of easy and immunology is just really interesting. I think I'm getting 4 B's and an A in history.

haha Same here, guys. I'm catching up on all the fun stuff I wanted to do earlier on in my college career. Somehow I'm still doing well in all my classes. And wow... Posting this somehow kicked off my trip. Well going to class. Cya guys.

Kinda nice to just relax and earn some extra money before depending totally on financial aid. At 1 of my interviews there was an advice not to do something stupid because you still need to make sure your background check comes back clean :laugh:

Dude, I checked out since November last yr.:( Right now I am pulling all Bs in my classes but at this point I am satisfied with that. I went to school throughout the summer last yr and my brain needs a break. I can't wait for summer this yr because I need to rest desperately. Most of my classes are pretty easy this semester but I have total lack of motivation to pull anything other than Bs.

PS. Like someone said, as long as you receive Cs or higher in your remaining pre-reqs, you should be OK.

Dude. Same here :cool:

Well I'm glad to get some reassurance from the rest of the crowd. I'm sure I'd be a little more into school if I was actually getting a degree, but I can't really bring myself to care very much. I can't remember the last day that I went to all of my classes, including Mondays and Fridays, days on which I only have two classes and am done at noon.

Members don't see this ad :)
You always worry most about dropping your eggs when you're almost home.

It's the dread Spring Sickness! :yawn:

What's truly hilarious is when I consider that only 1 of my classes is an actual pre-req - before I was accepted, I thought it might help my chances if I were to take a full load of upper-level science classes. Now, I think about how I really only needed to take 4 hours this term.. and it makes me sad.

Just enough to get C's. That was my conditional acceptance (C or above in remaining pre-reqs).

I pretty much stopped going to class at that point

Oh yeah...I barely can drag myself to class anymore. If it wasn't for my Honors requirement and finishing up my Minor, I would be completely checked out. As it stands, I need to keep a 3.5. Meh.

Dude. Same here :cool:

Yea I remember we were both taking OChem II in the summer. So glad that is over with now.:D

Oh yeah...I barely can drag myself to class anymore. If it wasn't for my Honors requirement and finishing up my Minor, I would be completely checked out. As it stands, I need to keep a 3.5. Meh.

Even with all the Bs I will be getting this semester, my GPA is gonna be around 3.7 so I think I am golden.:cool:

My winter break never ended...

I Went from 17 credits of upper division electives last semester to one upper division elective and a pre-req at a community college this semester. I've waited 4 and 1/2 years to live like a liberal arts major :cool:

My winter break never ended...

I Went from 17 credits of upper division electives last semester to one upper division elective and a pre-req at a community college this semester. I've waited 4 and 1/2 years to live like a liberal arts major :cool:

Don't you love how non-science majors complain about how we complain about their easy rode.

"OMG, but we have to write soooooo many papers!!"

And then they get silent.

My only worry is that I don't become an alcoholic by the end of this term. I have one class MWF at two, I wake up around one every day and I don't show up to human phys T/Th (too early, 9:40) except for quizzes/tests, where I'm pulling a B+. I worked hard for four years, I'm gonna enjoy the last few moments of Senior year.

Living it up, b/c next year is gonna be a b!@0ch!

My only worry is that I don't become an alcoholic by the end of this term. I have one class MWF at two, I wake up around one every day and I don't show up to human phys T/Th (too early, 9:40) except for quizzes/tests, where I'm pulling a B+. I worked hard for four years, I'm gonna enjoy the last few moments of Senior year.

Living it up, b/c next year is gonna be a b!@0ch!

As soon as I get the OK from my doc, I will be having a drinking fest.:D

I've been slacking... but I only have two easy classes (A & P 2 and my "capstone" course - basically a lovefest and reflection on my liberal arts education). I'm still getting As - I really want to graduate with a 4.0 (from this school, anyway).

I have three kids, so slacking for me probably involves a different lifestyle than you lucky 22 year-olds, though! The baby wakes me up at 6:00 am.

This is probably the same story for everyone who got accepted for the fall. We all know it's nearly impossible to put forth as much effort towards something when your gonna be in pharm school next whether you get an A or a C. I should of got accepted last year but i took my classes in the wrong order so all I've had to take this year were humanities. This means I've basically been partying it up for 8 months straight and just showing up for tests and let me tell you this is the way college should be! I might be having too much fun for my own good but who cares I'm 20 years old thats what everyone is doing. Plus I'm good at turning the switch on/off whenever I need so I'm not too worried about the fall and I've heard P1 year is the easiest at my school. Lets all enjoy our last 4 months of this!

I was very much in this boat last term. I hated my courses (well most of them) and just wanted it to be done. This term I am only taking one class to finish my undergrad and them I am done. Not quite so bad when you only go to one class twice a week in the evenings. I am too much of an overachiever to not want an A and feel guilty if I don't try as hard as possible to get one but I only need a C and its not even a pre-req course...haha! Oh well...I will say, I am taking a week long vacation to Cabo in the middle of the term and missing an exam...good thing she drops one test! Luckily my term ends first week of June and Pharm school doesn't start til the last week of September so I will get 4 months of no school and just work and fun!!!!

This is probably the same story for everyone who got accepted for the fall. We all know it's nearly impossible to put forth as much effort towards something when your gonna be in pharm school next whether you get an A or a C. I should of got accepted last year but i took my classes in the wrong order so all I've had to take this year were humanities. This means I've basically been partying it up for 8 months straight and just showing up for tests and let me tell you this is the way college should be! I might be having too much fun for my own good but who cares I'm 20 years old thats what everyone is doing. Plus I'm good at turning the switch on/off whenever I need so I'm not too worried about the fall and I've heard P1 year is the easiest at my school. Lets all enjoy our last 4 months of this!

:highfive:

Accepted in January

Haven't been to class since!

It's fine I will still get B's and C's, I just show up for tests/quizzes/labs.

Best semester EVER!

A nice break is needed before 4 years of graduate level courses. :)

I have all A's and B's right now... But I think I will just take zeros on the finals and take C's.

It really doesn't matter what grades you get as long as you pass once your accepted.

My friends who are want to go to med school are studying 6hours a day for A's and I just sleep, they hate me right now.

You always worry most about dropping your eggs when you're almost home.

It's the dread Spring Sickness! :yawn:

What's truly hilarious is when I consider that only 1 of my classes is an actual pre-req - before I was accepted, I thought it might help my chances if I were to take a full load of upper-level science classes. Now, I think about how I really only needed to take 4 hours this term.. and it makes me sad.

I am in exactly the same boat. I took physiology to be ahead of the curve in the fall, despite the warnings of my girlfriend. It's a 5 credit hour class.

I'm going to have to do well on all my finals, which... meh.

Latest DGAF update: skipped a week of biochemistry cause 10 am is way too early.

Lmao, I've missed idk how many classes these past 2 weeks. I'm still aiming for A's but I'm just totally slacking. Today I went to my organic II lab in basketball shorts and a tanktop lol. Can't wait to have fun this summer before the craziness starts.

Okay. My school denied my withdrawal, but I'm still not finishing off this semester.... screw it. I'll take irrelevant F's.

I'm guessing the absences will cause the F's?

Correct sir. I got the OK from the front office that I don't have to finish off the semester. I've sent in my transcripts and the SOP has already sent my name to the financial aid office.

Correct sir. I got the OK from the front office that I don't have to finish off the semester. I've sent in my transcripts and the SOP has already sent my name to the financial aid office.

The SOP told you it's ok to get the Fs? I'm sure those classes are not required but that is such a risk. Well, if they said OK, then I guess it's OK.:thumbup:

The SOP told you it's ok to get the Fs? I'm sure those classes are not required but that is such a risk. Well, if they said OK, then I guess it's OK.:thumbup:

All prereqs done and already got my degree. They didn't say it's okay to get F's, but they said the choice is mine if I want to continue with my coursework.

Honestly... this feels sooo weird. I'm officially a college dropout. :confused: But I really need some money for when I move out of state. I'm leaving everything behind besides my clothing and macbook.

All prereqs done and already got my degree. They didn't say it's okay to get F's, but they said the choice is mine if I want to continue with my coursework.

Honestly... this feels sooo weird. I'm officially a college dropout. :confused: But I really need some money for when I move out of state. I'm leaving everything behind besides my clothing and macbook.

You can't drop the courses? And you would get a refund for those courses if you get F's?? I'm confused.

Psych test tomorrow.....didn't study. Played video games all weekend.

And, for once in 4 years, I'm not freaking out. I don't care. I don't have to care. Wow, is this how humanities majors feel all the time? Damn, I am jelly.

You can't drop the courses? And you would get a refund for those courses if you get F's?? I'm confused.

I can't withdraw anymore as the deadline passed. The only way would be to appeal to the L&S committee. I did and they said no, so I'm just not going to class anymore.

Why not just finish out the semester then? When would you be out of school for Spring? You have the entire summer to make some money, plus you don't look like you're hurting in that department anways. When will you be moving to WA?

Psych test tomorrow.....didn't study. Played video games all weekend.

And, for once in 4 years, I'm not freaking out. I don't care. I don't have to care. Wow, is this how humanities majors feel all the time? Damn, I am jelly.

Damn, I still have to study for my finals and sh**.

I can't withdraw anymore as the deadline passed. The only way would be to appeal to the L&S committee. I did and they said no, so I'm just not going to class anymore.

How in the hell is yalls deadline so early?:confused: Mine ain't for another week and finals right after then.