Post Acceptance Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mobhad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had a quick question, and before I get hate for it, I know its a dumb question. I recently got an acceptance letter (Baylor), and it says to maintain "academic excellence". What exactly does that mean. I'm not trying nearly as hard in my classes as I did before I got accepted, and lets just say that I party a lot more now, so my GPA will undoubtedly drop. To elaborate, I'll probably have 3.2 or 3.3 GPA for the semester, and my current GPA to date is a 3.96. Will that affect my admission status?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just had a quick question, and before I get hate for it, I know its a dumb question. I recently got an acceptance letter (Baylor), and it says to maintain "academic excellence". What exactly does that mean. I'm not trying nearly as hard in my classes as I did before I got accepted, and lets just say that I party a lot more now, so my GPA will undoubtedly drop. To elaborate, I'll probably have 3.2 or 3.3 GPA for the semester, and my current GPA to date is a 3.96. Will that affect my admission status?

It's not a dumb question so much as one that probably no-one on here will be able to definitively answer. The school has to balance your decline in academic performance against the other strengths of you application. That equation is different for every applicant and every school. My advice is to spend the next month studying like crazy to do as well as you possibly can on your finals. If you can drop your lowest graded class, you might consider that as well. After that, it's up to Baylor whether or not your acceptance will stand (and I honestly don't know enough about it to even conjecture whether a 3.2 or 3.3 would cause a problem or not).

I think you'll be fine, as long as that 3.2-3.3 does not involve Cs or lower. A few B's aren't going to hurt, and just do your best to finish up the semester strong. One semester of a 3.3 is hardly going to kill your GPA, or alarm a committee enough to consider revoking your admission. Congrats on that acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
troll.jpg

All I have is anecdotal evidence but my friend had a 4.0 and then pulled two C's her last semester post acceptance and the dean of the med school called her and made her explain why they shouldn't take away her acceptance and then they put her on academic probation the first term. Obviously that was a pretty extreme reaction but I second Catalysik call and ask.

Why not go for summa cum laude? I think a 3.96 GPA is awesome. You have a great opportunity to achieve those academic awards. Don't waste it just because you got into medical school (which is still awesome by the way haha).

Seriously? People call "troll" way too much around here. Just because someone's question involves them stating they have a high GPA MCAT does not mean their trolling. Its a perfectly valid question the OP has...

Why not go for summa cum laude? I think a 3.96 GPA is awesome. You have a great opportunity to achieve those academic awards. Don't waste it just because you got into medical school (which is still awesome by the way haha).

Since getting the words " summa cum laude" on your degree is totally way better than partying a lot :scared:

hey,
i got into a med school, too (Medical College of Ga). I'm in physical chemistry with lab, and its killing me just to pass. I'm LUCKY if I get the C. But As/Bs in my other classes. Will this cause any alarm to the med school?

some schools are vague about post-acceptance grades and some are specific. the gist is that they don't want you to slack off after acceptance and don't want you to get any C's or lower. as part of my acceptance stuff at uva, i was told i'd have to explain any post-acceptance C's, and any D's would cause an automatic reconsideration of my acceptance.

Congrats on the acceptance! I think all As and Bs should be good for most schools. My GPA is going to probably fall a little bit this semester too, but that's largely due to time spent at interviews and a new internship this semester.

Most med schools are probably pretty understanding, but I think it really just varies school to school. UVA said that any Cs must be explained in writing and any Ds would cause automatic re-evaluation of my application. None of the other schools I've heard from have given concrete requirements (outside of completing my degree). But if you do call Baylor, give us an update about what they say if you don't mind.

Why not call the school and ask (anonymously). A 3.2 isn't quite as excellent as a 3.96, but I doubt they'd take back your acceptance because of it. You'd be better knowing exactly how much wiggle room you really have, though, as rescissions do occur.

I know I am bumping an old thread, didn't want to start a new one...

Who exactly do you call to inquire about this? Registrar? Admissions office? I am taking graduate level courses and struggling because I missed a lot of time due to interviews...

I know I am bumping an old thread, didn't want to start a new one...
Thank you for searching first. :)

Who exactly do you call to inquire about this? Registrar? Admissions office? I am taking graduate level courses and struggling because I missed a lot of time due to interviews...
You could try shooting a 'to whom it may concern' email to the admissions office and they can forward it to the appropriate person.

Call the admissions office.

Call the admissions office.

Thats the one! Just called and worries are alleviated. Thanks for help.

UCSD said that all that is required is C or better for every class

Last edited: