Post-Acceptance Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklynyc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd be feeling so relieved after receiving my acceptances but I'm not. I am pretty nervous about this upcoming summer. Does anyone else feel the same?

To be clear, I am grateful to have received acceptances and to be enrolled in a program that I wanted. It's just . . . I thought I'd be much happier. Maybe it's because I felt the goal initially felt so within reach but now that PT school is real and looming it feels like I have so many more challenges ahead of me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I thought I'd be feeling so relieved after receiving my acceptances but I'm not. I am pretty nervous about this upcoming summer. Does anyone else feel the same?

To be clear, I am grateful to have received acceptances and to be enrolled in a program that I wanted. It's just . . . I thought I'd be much happier. Maybe it's because I felt the goal initially felt so within reach but now that PT school is real and looming it feels like I have so many more challenges ahead of me.

After visiting my school this week I realized that its an actual reality not a prospect. When that hit me I saw all the expenses I was going to have over the next few months. Its now a weight on my shoulders. But- its way better than going through the application process and not knowing where you stand. At least now your life is headed in a great direction. You're going to meet all of your classmates, study material for your career and embark on a new adventure. This will be exciting once things slow down, but right now it is overwhelming. Breathe. Take it one thing at a time. It'll all come full circle after you iron out a few wrinkles :)

Reactions: 11 users
I go through waves of feeling ecstatic and feeling extremely overwhelmed. I get really excited knowing that I'm finally making forward progress in changing careers and doing something that I really want to do, and I feel fortunate to be able to do it. Then I start thinking about going from making a comfortable salary to not making income for 3 years and likely being in 6-figure debt since I'm going to a private school. Then there's the stress of wondering how well I'll do once classes start in the fall, especially since I haven't been a full-time student in 5 years, which then makes me wonder if I should just suck it up and be in a career I don't care much for (the answer is definitely NO). Talk about an emotional roller coaster, but I know that I'll be just fine once school rolls around, and I'm sure you will be, too. Everyone is going to be really overwhelmed the first few weeks as we all adapt to drinking knowledge from the proverbial fire hose, but we'll all find a groove.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there! DPT'17 here and so far the first year has been one hell of a ride, but you'll enjoy every single moment of it :nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: 3 users
Sometimes I feel nervous too...but then I remember how fun it is going to be to go to PT school in a new environment while being amongst students who are trying to achieve the same goal. Plus, we are going to be learning material that interests us and that we can apply to our careers, not boring chemistry and physics! I also think about how great my life will be once I'm a traveling PT, going to fun places like Hawaii, Alaska, and Vegas while getting paid a 6 figure salary, doing something I love:soexcited:. It is going to be much better than my current 9-5 job where I sit in a cubicle all day assembling folders!!!

Also, it is comforting to know that my school has a graduation and 1st time NPTE pass rate of 95%, so I'm not to worried about not passing the program.

Reactions: 4 users
I want to be a traveling PT too!!!! :highfive::soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine won a full ride to Syracuse for her grad program but still feels uneasy. We had a long talk about this a while ago. She called it "Imposter Syndrome." Basically both of us know we have earned where we are at and are totally capable of what comes next, but still can't shake the feeling of being unworthy or in over our heads.

That being said, I'm incredibly excited. Like some of you said, I have varying waves of emotion depending on the day: excitement, fear, anxiety, happiness...etc. But it will be better once we get going. I graduated early and am home working a crap job just killin time. But I'm in touch with my whole class on fb and talk to my future quadmates every day in a group text. I feel good about everything that is a "known."

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I'd sure as heck rather be in PT school than do undergrad again.

And I'd sure as heck rather be a PT student than do pre-PT again.

I have done very few things in my life that I would like to repeat less than the PT school admissions process.

Let heaven be thanked for all of us that it's finally over.

Reactions: 12 users
I completely understand. It's difficult to know what challenges and struggles are ahead of us in school. It's so hard because I got into two schools: one school is about thirty minutes from my hometown while the other school is the farthest possible school I applied to. I still haven't decided which to attend and both programs have their pros/cons. But either way, it's important to keep perspective and remember that we're blessed to be accepted. All of the hard work regarding the 'Pre-PT' process has paid off!

Reactions: 2 users
I think we are all on an emotional rollercoaster to some extent. I always worry about flunking out. I'm scared to death, excited, and eagar all at the same time. This is why I drink LOL. The rational part of my brain that rarely speaks to me these days tells me that if you're worried you'll be just fine because you'll be taking your education seriously.

Reactions: 4 users
OMG!!! I am so grateful that this thread was posted and I am so happy all of you responded. I feel all of this every day and I am so happy to know I am not the only one. I try to explain it to the people around me, but they just don't understand. They keep saying you earned it and you will do great. I appreciate their kind words, but I can't shake the nervousness and all these other emotions.

OMG!!! I am so grateful that this thread was posted and I am so happy all of you responded. I feel all of this every day and I am so happy to know I am not the only one. I try to explain it to the people around me, but they just don't understand. They keep saying you earned it and you will do great. I appreciate their kind words, but I can't shake the nervousness and all these other emotions.
LOL I know just how you feel. Everyone around me, including professors, has complete confidence that I will do great in PT school. I wish I had that confidence. I worry that maybe I won't be smart enough. I got A's in undergrad, but I had to work my butt off for them. I would love for current PT students to tell us when that moment occurred when they said to themselves, "I got this" and knew they'd be okay and graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
y'all are going to be fine! Stop freaking out and enjoy your last few weeks/months of freedom. It's easy to say this as I'm about to graduate, but it's true!

In all honesty, I'm a non-traditional student who forgot how to study when I went to PT school so I struggled in the beginning because I was so overwhelmed. BUT I made it through. Not without a few tears, crazy phone calls to my mom, and pulling a few all-nighters. And at about the midway point through my second semester, elbow deep in neuro, I had my "I got this" moment and it wasn't because I was blowing my grades out of the water or anything spectacular like that (I was, but that's not WHY ;-) ), it's because I realized that I REALLY loved neuro...everything about it. And everything just clicked from there. And here I am now, about to graduate and start my dream job in outpatient neuro.

Sooooo I guess the moral of the story is, stop stressing out. It will click for you, you will be fine. Everyone will be fine! And in the hard times, just realize that thousands of students have been where you are and have made it through, and you are doing all this crazy crap because at the other end of the tunnel is a career YOU chose to love. PT school is only going to make you love it more. Trust me, in the grand scheme of things, you know nothing about PT now. Just wait! There is so much to soak in and you are going to enjoy (almost) every second of it no matter how difficult it may be at times. And you're going to make some lifelong, amazing, smart, like-minded friends while you're doing it.

So, relax! Y'all are going to be great!!! :D

Reactions: 10 users
I think I'm actually more nervous about living in a new location for the first time in 28 years than passing PT school haha...maybe its cuz my program is as far away from my home as possible lol...but there's also a lot of excitement to that anxiety:nailbiting::D...I think one of the advantages of being a non-trad is that I have that "I'm gonna pass or die trying" mentality cuz I know that this is what I want in life, and I'm not going to do anything else!!!!

Well, unless somebody wants to sign me to a multi-million dollar rap and/or baseball contract ;)

I think I'm actually more nervous about living in a new location for the first time in 28 years than passing PT school haha...maybe its cuz my program is as far away from my home as possible lol...but there's also a lot of excitement to that anxiety:nailbiting::D...I think one of the advantages of being a non-trad is that I have that "I'm gonna pass or die trying" mentality cuz I know that this is what I want in life, and I'm not going to do anything else!!!!

Well, unless somebody wants to sign me to a multi-million dollar rap and/or baseball contract ;)

I was in a similar situation to you - I too was required to move out for PT school, but now reflecting upon it being ~8 months into my 1st year, living away from home will truly give you a chance to settle down, and focus.

I was in a similar situation to you - I too was required to move out for PT school, but now reflecting upon it being ~8 months into my 1st year, living away from home will truly give you a chance to settle down, and focus.
Yeah I'm looking forward to living in a brand new environment... I think it will help me grow and I believe school is a great way to live in a new area since u will have plenty of social support :)

Winter in Maine will take some time to get used to though, especially from a kid born and raised in Southern Cali lol

hahah I am glad that I am not the only one apprehensive about PT school.

Just like Biff said, I feel that "imposter syndrome" too. I know objectively that I earned good grades as a postbacc and earned my way into PT school but I can't help but feel like I will fail! I think this comes from my undergrad experience where I was a terrible student. This lack of confidence is annoying. I know I can be successful and I have proven it as well! Ugh.

SammyPT, LovesofPraying . . . I tooootally understand. Thank you all for sharing! I hope these nerves will be squelched soon!

Be excited, not nervous. Having a little bit of that anxiety is healthy imo shows that your going to make a great student.

I havnt started school yet, but know many current and former PT students, all which love what they are doing and have never once mentioned, "I'm sooo jealous your applying for PT school while I'm in it.. How I wish I could just be applying again!"

The way I look at it, the odds of you getting into PT school are way more against you than the odds of you succeeding in PT school.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride

Isn't this all part of the PT student experience....I say relish in the moment because at the end of it all, we are all going to be PTs. No one ever said it was going to be easy. But if it was, then EVERYONE would be doing it. We are a handful of selected, intelligent, and passionate individuals that were selected to learn and immerse ourselves into the PT community. All these feelings we have are all just part of the process. When it's all said and done, we'll be much more intelligent, skilled, and comfortable with our new career. So Good Luck to ALL, we've all deserved this opportunity.

"I'm sooo jealous your applying for PT school while I'm in it.. How I wish I could just be applying again!"

Said no one ever...exactly my initial point

Thousands of people fail each year at getting into PT school. Do thousands of people fail out of PT schools every year? No.

She called it "Imposter Syndrome."
Was just talking about this with someone today. I've been through this in the past and still experience it a little. I hate the feeling...but it always turns out fine.

This is why I drink LOL
Dido lol

I feel all of this every day and I am so happy to know I am not the only one.
Misery loves company ;)

I say relish in the moment
THIS. I'm feeling the same way as everyone else here...but I know I'll look back on this like I look back on Boot Camp/Tech School/Undergrad. Super stressful at first (and during) but now it's very nostalgic feeling.

I thought I would feel a huge weight lifted after I got accepted, but nope. Now worrying about moving across the country, cost, how I will do in my classes... I've pretty much read every student PT's blog trying to calm my nerves and prepare myself for what's coming haha.

Maybe that moment of relief will come after we graduate... and pass the NPTE... and find a job... and pay off loans lol

I've been so relieved to be done with the application process that I haven't even thought much about starting school in the fall. Actually, I've had a hard time turning my brain off from "application mode". I find myself compulsively opening my various spreadsheets, or subconsciously stressing about application minutiae.

I do have concerns about succeeding in school, but I'm mostly excited to be one step closer to being a PT. I'm also way excited about a summer free of physics and other prerequisites before getting started in the fall :)

I find myself compulsively opening my various spreadsheets, or subconsciously stressing about application minutiae.

Haha this reminds me of me. Shout out to a fellow spreadsheet maker! :hello:

Thousands of people fail each year at getting into PT school. Do thousands of people fail out of PT schools every year? No.

Exactly. A friend observing this process from the outside said to me, "So basically, these adcoms are deciding who will and who won't become PTs."

If you're in, it's because you'll succeed.

Exactly. A friend observing this process from the outside said to me, "So basically, these adcoms are deciding who will and who won't become PTs."

If you're in, it's because you'll succeed.
Great way to put it...now I feel even more proud of myself lol...I hung my acceptance letter on my fridge, and smile every time I read it knowing I beat out thousands of applicants :clap:

LOL I know just how you feel. Everyone around me, including professors, has complete confidence that I will do great in PT school. I wish I had that confidence. I worry that maybe I won't be smart enough.

lol oh man this is exactly something i would post. totally how i feel.

y'all are going to be fine! Stop freaking out and enjoy your last few weeks/months of freedom. It's easy to say this as I'm about to graduate, but it's true!

In all honesty, I'm a non-traditional student who forgot how to study when I went to PT school so I struggled in the beginning because I was so overwhelmed. BUT I made it through. Not without a few tears, crazy phone calls to my mom, and pulling a few all-nighters. And at about the midway point through my second semester, elbow deep in neuro, I had my "I got this" moment and it wasn't because I was blowing my grades out of the water or anything spectacular like that (I was, but that's not WHY ;-) ), it's because I realized that I REALLY loved neuro...everything about it. And everything just clicked from there. And here I am now, about to graduate and start my dream job in outpatient neuro.

thank you for sharing your awesome "i got this" moment story. this really made me feel better! (i'm a 31yo career switcher!)

This thread was sent from directly God himself! I'm sooooo thankful I'm not the only one who feels this way. Thinking of going into 6 figure dept, to being uneasy about the curriculum and wondering if I really have what it takes to make it through or if I was accepted on some sort of technicality lol.
Good luck to all my fellow 1st years (i guess we can be called that now). We all will do great in school and become excellent PT's! :clap::highfive::claps:

Reactions: 9 users
I worry more about the financial aspects of everything and paying it all back opposed to the actual coursework. Coursework just involves putting the time in to get a quality grasp on the material. Debt on the other hand.... :( I'm glad I chose a state school and can obtain residency!!

I worry more about the financial aspects of everything and paying it all back opposed to the actual coursework. Coursework just involves putting the time in to get a quality grasp on the material. Debt on the other hand.... :( I'm glad I chose a state school and can obtain residency!!
This really is my biggest concern. Will I struggle with academics? Yea probably but a little grit and grind and help from friends can get me past that. Can a little grit and grind get me through the incoming loan blow? Turrible pun intended, but seriously...that money. :|

Reactions: 3 users
This really is my biggest concern. Will I struggle with academics? Yea probably but a little grit and grind and help from friends can get me past that. Can a little grit and grind get me through the incoming loan blow? Turrible pun intended, but seriously...that money. :|
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get someone in office that recognizes how much better the economy would be if people put money into the system instead of being in perpetual debt forever. That person would then slash student loan debt to a reasonable number. That's my best hope. My back up plan is winning the Powerball Lottery, but I suspect that may not be that easy :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get someone in office that recognizes how much better the economy would be if people put money into the system instead of being in perpetual debt forever. That person would then slash student loan debt to a reasonable number. That's my best hope. My back up plan is winning the Powerball Lottery, but I suspect that may not be that easy :)

Actually Powerball Lottery may be more likely. That's why I'm going to school near Vegas. I'm getting good at blackjack and roulette. :)

The imposter syndrome doesn't ever really go away, it's rare in PT school to feel super confident. It's a learning process.

My advice to incoming first years would be to develop good study habits right away, PT school will kick your ass academically more than any other schooling you've done. Make friends and get a study group - you are not an island in PT school and studying as groups helps immensely. You won't have an excellent grasp of every single topic and your peers can help.

Remember, you are not in competition with each other and GPA, GRE, stats all go out the window, you're all in the same program. Grades don't matter so much anymore (at least for my program). It can help to let go of any obsessions regarding grades because you won't be getting A+ in every class. It also helps because a great PT is defined by much more than what grades they get on didactic work. Don't sell yourself short by only defining yourself by your grades. Some of the most talented people in my class were highly experienced with treatment but didn't get straight A's.

Find a PT mentor. This can be someone you volunteered with, a professor, or someone you are put in contact with by the program. It is great to have someone you can bounce ideas off of and develop a professional relationship with - especially if you want to go into a specialty like peds or neuro and first year is all ortho (at my program that is).

Identify your weaknesses right away and develop specific goals to improve them. If you are struggling in an area find a tutor or use the resources the program offers you. We had someone removed from our first year class due to academic reasons and looking back none of us knew the extent to which he was underwater. Don't get behind - reach out for help. Be proactive!

When it gets tough remind yourself who you are and why you are in PT school.
Have fun!

Reactions: 15 users
The imposter syndrome doesn't ever really go away, it's rare in PT school to feel super confident. It's a learning process.

My advice to incoming first years would be to develop good study habits right away, PT school will kick your ass academically more than any other schooling you've done. Make friends and get a study group - you are not an island in PT school and studying as groups helps immensely. You won't have an excellent grasp of every single topic and your peers can help.

Remember, you are not in competition with each other and GPA, GRE, stats all go out the window, you're all in the same program. Grades don't matter so much anymore (at least for my program). It can help to let go of any obsessions regarding grades because you won't be getting A+ in every class. It also helps because a great PT is defined by much more than what grades they get on didactic work. Don't sell yourself short by only defining yourself by your grades. Some of the most talented people in my class were highly experienced with treatment but didn't get straight A's.

Find a PT mentor. This can be someone you volunteered with, a professor, or someone you are put in contact with by the program. It is great to have someone you can bounce ideas off of and develop a professional relationship with - especially if you want to go into a specialty like peds or neuro and first year is all ortho (at my program that is).

Identify your weaknesses right away and develop specific goals to improve them. If you are struggling in an area find a tutor or use the resources the program offers you. We had someone removed from our first year class due to academic reasons and looking back none of us knew the extent to which he was underwater. Don't get behind - reach out for help. Be proactive!

When it gets tough remind yourself who you are and why you are in PT school.
Have fun!
this is great advice. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got an envelope with loan info. I'm mixed with excitement and dread about having to pay them back haha

That's how I felt when I got my loan info and total program estimate a few weeks back. I had a number in my head, but seeing it in writing was like a punch in the gut hahaha.

Yeah really though. Especially since I'm out of state and the loans they awarded me are only enough to cover tuition, housing, and food, so I have to figure out what other loans I can take out or if I can request more money from Grad PLUS (was only awarded 13k in addition to the 20k from Stafford).

first world problems...

I go through waves of feeling ecstatic and feeling extremely overwhelmed. I get really excited knowing that I'm finally making forward progress in changing careers and doing something that I really want to do, and I feel fortunate to be able to do it. Then I start thinking about going from making a comfortable salary to not making income for 3 years and likely being in 6-figure debt since I'm going to a private school. Then there's the stress of wondering how well I'll do once classes start in the fall, especially since I haven't been a full-time student in 5 years, which then makes me wonder if I should just suck it up and be in a career I don't care much for (the answer is definitely NO). Talk about an emotional roller coaster, but I know that I'll be just fine once school rolls around, and I'm sure you will be, too. Everyone is going to be really overwhelmed the first few weeks as we all adapt to drinking knowledge from the proverbial fire hose, but we'll all find a groove.

I feel exactly the same way!! Haven't been a full time student in close to 4 years now. And then the private school debt. OMG!

Much rather be where I am now than a month or two ago with the application process. That was incredibly stressful trying to do well with interviews and hearing back from schools whether good or bad news. Making it over that hump is something to be proud of in itself

A friend of mine won a full ride to Syracuse for her grad program but still feels uneasy. We had a long talk about this a while ago. She called it "Imposter Syndrome." Basically both of us know we have earned where we are at and are totally capable of what comes next, but still can't shake the feeling of being unworthy or in over our heads.

That being said, I'm incredibly excited. Like some of you said, I have varying waves of emotion depending on the day: excitement, fear, anxiety, happiness...etc. But it will be better once we get going. I graduated early and am home working a crap job just killin time. But I'm in touch with my whole class on fb and talk to my future quadmates every day in a group text. I feel good about everything that is a "known."

I can complete relate to the "imposter syndrome." My stats are great and I know I'll be just as prepared as my classmates but, I can't help but feel I might have slipped through the cracks.

Blogs like this are proof that we will all be ok. Everyone on here is uplifting someone else and letting them know they aren't alone. We will all help eachother , we will all make it. One team one fight. Competition part is done, we made it. Now its about teambuilding with your cohort and getting it done. So be excited! The book has a new chapter! :highfive:

you gotta BELIEVE, its perfectly nature for self-doubt. Obviously the admissions committee show something in you, and that you will be successful or else they wouldn't have accepted you. Just put in the effort and you will be successful. Anything worth achieving require hard work.