Post Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Racer543

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend doing post acceptance? Right now I am just shadowing. I'm really anxious to start learning material, but everyone is advising me not to. What do you guys recommend doing to prepare and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you guys recommend doing post acceptance? Right now I am just shadowing. I'm really anxious to start learning material, but everyone is advising me not to. What do you guys recommend doing to prepare and why?

It is generally advised that you shouldn't study and just enjoy the freedom you have until school starts. You won't have a lot of free time during school.

If you really want to do some prep work, I would suggest studying some anatomy. Knowing the anatomical structure of the human body would greatly benefit you for your anatomy exams and your lab practical.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah don't do any school work. I would just enjoy your free time. If you are super itching to learn something I would just study large anatomy stuff. By large I mean identify the humerus, scapula bone, etc. Know what medial, lateral, superficial, proximal, distal, etc. mean

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. The depth that you need to know the body in Gross Anatomy is pretty ridiculous. The main thing that may be helpful if you want to study something is to get the main ideas down. Things like anatomical terms (medial, lateral, anterior, posterior, superior, inferior, proximal, distal etc.) and maybe big ideas.

Vacation, party, anything besides school.

Reactions: 1 user
What did y'all do the summer before you started?

Worked a simple job, 10 hours a week max. Played a lot of PS4 and got swole

Reactions: 3 users

Sleep! Sleep as much as you can, because once it all starts forget about maintaining a normal sleeping pattern.

What I should have done in my gap year:
-Slept more
-Worked less
-Played with my dogs more
-Hung out with my family more
-Read more

Reactions: 2 users
What did y'all do the summer before you started?

Pretty much relaxed. Played a lot of piano and basketball. Glad I did because I am currently no-lifing it hard right now (exam week joy).

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people that got rejected post interview how were you guys notified?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I agree 100% enjoy your time off with family or friends, but if you are dying to get a head start on podiatry material you could start with this iOS app: (spam link removed)

You need to know lower extremity anatomy for the rest of your career so getting a background early will help with long term retention. So if you really want to gun you can start learning the different bones and landmarks and then you could move on to the muscles. Take one diagram section at a time and for each muscle learn the origins, insertions, actions, nerve and vascular supply then take the quizzes on that muscle section.

nice plug for your own product

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys know if schools re evaluate applications post interview rejections if you score a higher MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You guys know if schools re evaluate applications post interview rejections if you score a higher MCAT?

Call the school!! If that is the only thing that is holding you back I am sure they will be reasonable.

Yeah call and maybe email the school. I was rejected from Temple and their reasoning was cause of MCAT. When I told them I retook and got a 500 they said they would reconsider me, but I told them nevermind because I already got into my top choice

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed Carla and surprisingly she emailed me back saying. "Thank you for your e-mail. I can always have the committee re-evaluate with a new MCAT score. Please just send me an e-mail once you release it to AACPMAS." So there is hope!

Reactions: 4 users

Great that you're still shadowing- however, t unless you have an unquenchable desire to be in a Pod office- no need to continue. Your first year studies are unlikely to be aided by anything you learn in the office since it is mostly core sciences- and by the time you might be able to apply anything you learned shadowing, (2nd/3rd year) you'll most likely have forgotten it.

Re; learning material- everyone is anxious to. Just go on the faith of others and trust that it's not a great use of time. You don't know what your professors will want, teach, expect, etc. Sure, you'll learn stuff by studying, great- but how much of that will translate to scoring better once you are here? Very, very little- if any at all.

The best advice that was given to me, and the advice that I took and now recommend to you- Spend as much time as you can with your family, friends, and significant other, if applicable. Trip you always wanted to go on? Do it. Old Friend you've been meaning to visit? Go see them. In order to perform well, it takes time and sacrifice- the time put into studying to perform well has to come from somewhere. Unfortunately, we usually take it away from our friends and family first, because they're the ones we usually give the most as it is.

So sit back, relax, chill, and spend time with family and friends. You'll be studying almost relentlessly for the next four+ years. Enjoy your personal freedoms now.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll take the other end of the spectrum from what Timmy said about shadowing. I'm a current 2nd year and now that I'm in the clinical classes I am able to understand a lot of the material faster than some of my colleagues because of the exposure that I had as an MA in a pod office. I continued working there until 2 months before school started. But I am also one of those people that has to be busy or I go crazy. This will also depend on your recall.

But its all everyones opinion. You do whatever will make you happy in the time that you have left to enjoy at home with family and friends.

Yeah call and maybe email the school. I was rejected from Temple and their reasoning was cause of MCAT. When I told them I retook and got a 500 they said they would reconsider me, but I told them nevermind because I already got into my top choice
was this post interview? they didn't offer a place on the wait list?

was this post interview? they didn't offer a place on the wait list?
Yeah it was post interview, like months after. They didn't offer anything, prob cause they had to go review my file again like a normal applicant

Honestly. I'd enjoy your time. You don't realize how much you wanted to do until you can't anymore cause of school