mswete

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
On my application, I have a 3.9 post-bac GPA (3 science courses). Since submitting, I received a B- and a B+ in non-science courses (They were online, 5-week summer courses). I've now received an interview invite and I'm wondering 1. how to tell this to the university, 2. how this will affect my chances of admission, and 3. if I should plan on starting a new course for the winter quarter to try and negate these effects?

scoKraz4

5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2013
On my application, I have a 3.9 post-bac GPA (3 science courses). Since submitting, I received a B- and a B+ in non-science courses (They were online, 5-week summer courses). I've now received an interview invite and I'm wondering 1. how to tell this to the university, 2. how this will affect my chances of admission, and 3. if I should plan on starting a new course for the winter quarter to try and negate these effects?
You have to report the classes. The schools will have to get a copy of the official transcript, so you should get a copy asap, email the school telling them the type of courses and the grade and that they were online. Then send the transcript once you get it. Better to do this asap considering it has to be done regardless.

Can it affect your chances? Possibly. Just rock the interview. That is the only thing you can control of at this point. You can't go back and change those grades and you already applied, so handle what is in your control!

Don't retake non-science courses. If you don't get in this cycle, register for summer/fall science courses for next year. Plus, those aren't the type of grades you retake a course for.

OP
M

mswete

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks so much! Just sent them an email. Should I try to take a science course to show that maybe those courses were just an aberration?

Nov 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't have told them. You don't need to report 'B' grades post application just as much as you don't need to report 'A' grades. And even if you were to get an acceptance, getting "B"s would never revoke an acceptance: unless you had one of those rare 'conditional' acceptances. Leave well enough alone.

OP
M

mswete

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
But like scoKraz said, you have to send them a copy of the official transcript upon acceptance, right?

Jjkwest1

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2010
Status
Yea I agree with volunteermoose, I don't think it was necessary to update the schools about those grades especially since they were non science classes. Normally when you update schools you want it to be something that would be in your favor like getting A's in science courses or getting ur paper published etc...

But you are correct in that you must send those grades after you get accepted to the school. But again, I don't think it did you any favors updating them about that before getting interviews/acceptances but I doubt that it did any major damages also.

good luck with the app process!

OP
M

mswete

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
That's such a relief, thanks you guys!