Post Application File Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clawsbeatskin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've scheduled my post mortem file reviews...and completely freaking out! They will be over the phone, and with the schools' (TAMU & CSU) prevet advisors, not committe members, which I thought was odd. I know my weakest point- GPA. How do I effectively "sell" myself in this interview, while highlighting what I've accomplished since last October?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any first hand experience with post-mortems.. but they are really designed to help you make yourself a better applicant. I wouldn't stress out about selling yourself, just be professional & show your appreciation & willingness to accept their advice and be on your way.

you don't really sell yourself...its not like if you're awesome they're going to change their mind and accept you. you just listen to what they have to say and ask lots of questions if they say "well this and this weren't good" about how to improve on those bad points. ask what you should do this summer, if you should retake any classes, if you should take more upper-level classes, etc etc etc

Members don't see this ad :)
its not like if you're awesome they're going to change their mind and accept you.

Crap! I was aiming for just that! :p But I am truly awesome...

No, I understand...I guess I didn't really mean "sell myself", rather- how to leave the best impression so that they might jot down some encouraging notes in my file for next round; basically show them that I'm serious and appreciate their insight.

And, what questions should I ask to get the most out of my interview?

First, and I used to do messaging, I would leave things broad so you find out what's important to them. Don't bring up what you think are your weaknesses until they tell you what they think your weaknesses are. Then ask them what they recommend and they dash off something like, "Well, raise your GPA." Think of a few scenarios that you would be willing to do to fix this, so you're ready. For example, "Professor X, would it be better for me to take post-bacc undergrad classes or get a masters?" If it's research hours you need ask, "Is it better to do a thesis with an original research project or work for a prof or does it matter?" At the very end, if you really want to, bring up any weaknesses you think you have, do it carefully because you don't want to plant ideas in their heads.