post-bac and work load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:oops: Hi Everyone!
Your input with the forums has been extremely helpful for me.
I graduated from college 9 YEARS ago! I had a low science GPA. I worked full-time in college to pay for school..and was a little less focused...and stressed!
I've been working at UMDNJ-Cancer Research for the past 4 years. Working here is a great with UMDNJ and RWJMS med schools!!-but, I gotta make the grades
I'm doing a post-back program in the fall. I'm sure I'll have to continue into a masters program. I was wondering...is it wise to work 40 hours a week and try taking do a post-bac program? I am more mature and stable (-finally), but I don't want to repeat the past...What should I consider with rearranging my life?
I applied to Drexel, U Penn, NYU, Hunter, CUNY, La Salle, Temple and Columbia..I've only heard a yes Drexel-PBMS and I'm still waiting on the others..( my applications were send in June- 2 weeks after I discovered these formal programs:) ).
I just need feed back about planning my life to pursue my goals..I'm willing to make the necessary sacrifices. I rent a room now and have the flexibility to move, but I'm won't have any $ support if I don't work. No home with parents to move back :)
How much time sould I realistically expect to go to school?
Is it wise to work 40 hrs a week or 20 hrs while doing a post-bac program?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How many classes are you planning to take? That's the first question.

It would be tough to work 40 hours/week with labs, etc.

oops! Only 2 classes..
My job is really burning me out, more work same pay! Hey-gotta be grateful, but willing to move on if necessary..I'm just having a hard time planning out the next few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
DCH said:
oops! Only 2 classes..
My job is really burning me out, more work same pay! Hey-gotta be grateful, but willing to move on if necessary..I'm just having a hard time planning out the next few years.

I'm working 40hr work week while taking 2 classes at HES. I'll let you know how I do in the fall lol. Honestly I beleive time management is the key. It helps if your job is flexable with hours, days off (come exam time), etc.

Sundarban1 said:
I'm working 40hr work week while taking 2 classes at HES. I'll let you know how I do in the fall lol. Honestly I beleive time management is the key. It helps if your job is flexable with hours, days off (come exam time), etc.

The only people I know who were able to manage a full-time job and two postbac classes were already fairly strong in the sciences, and didn't need to put in as much work. If that's not you, then you probably will find that you need to either cut your courseload in half or cut back to a 15-20 hour per week job. Good luck.

It's do-able to work 40 hours a week and take maybe one science class (with a lab) and one non-science class (English, stats, calc). I find that if I have more than 3 nights of class a week I start to get way too stressed. If you want to take 2 science classes, I would cut your work day down to 20 or 30 hours.

Best of luck!

:luck:

Also depends on the format of the classes. If you are 9 years removed and have done research for the past 4 years, I think if you take the pre-reqs and do well you should be pretty good candidate for school without doing a masters program. You can always talk to schools as what they think would be the best path for you.

Yes..I think a 20-30 hr work load would be best for me...I wasn't sure if that would look bad after applying to med school. I'm sure they would rather see good grades...
What type of post-bac GPA is good to aim for? Would grad school courses be good to take before I apply?

DCH said:
What type of post-bac GPA is good to aim for? Would grad school courses be good to take before I apply?

4.0 and no :luck:

I think your right..I'll try to work on something with my job now..:)
How did you all manage to map out your goals? Did you just ask people on the web forums? School advisors?

I talked to a dean of an MD school and an admissions counselor for a DO schoo. As well as utilized the network of friends I've made on SDN. Everyone's situation is a little unique but if you get an idea of what works "FOR YOU" then go for it. I am just doing a 2nd bachelors degree to improve my post-bacc GPA and boost my sub-par < 2.5 GPA. The one school said to do a post-bacc program, where I'm moving ... I don't have one so I'm out of luck I suppose. But I have 2 friends on this site who got in doing upper level science classes to boost low GPA's so I know it can be done. Utilize admission counselors and this site. As well as researching programs near you. If you are up near NB, they have a post-bacc program up there. Good luck. :luck:

It was a pretty difficult stretch for me to do physics and orgo last year with labs, a full time job and two young children. It worked out fine, but I don't know what I would have done if I had started to really struggle with the coursework... I had no "slippage" time built into my schedule in case something went awry.

Thank you!! Yes you are right about everyone having a unique situation..
I'm in N.J. but, I'm ready to run away to 'no mans land'.
Well I am encouraged by the whole journey-I must admit it is a little scary, but I'm trying to make the best of it...
It's nice to know that I'm not alone..the feedback from everyone is great!

Sundarban1 said:
4.0 and no :luck:

4.0 wow..humor me pleaaazeee! :p How about a 3.9?

DCH said:
4.0 wow..humor me pleaaazeee! :p How about a 3.9?

3.9? Do you really want to have to apply to DO and foreign schools? Geez!!

:p

Sundarban1 said:
3.9? Do you really want to have to apply to DO and foreign schools? Geez!!

:p

Darn it
4.0! OK..I'll keep myself under stress, watch my hair fall out and drop 10 lbs a week-just to shoot for straight A's...
I didn't do that 9 years ago! well I was a little unfocused :rolleyes:
Well I'll take advantage of tutoring and staff support as well as manage my time. Thank You
Hopefully I can find a 20 hr wk job within my company...I'm really trying...I've applied for everything within the company!!
When should I consider quitting? If I should at all??
HAHA! Gotta love it! I hope that all the support and advice comes back to you all 100 fold! Thank you for sharing...