Post-bac course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mars41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a train wreck of an undergraduate career, I have a renewed since of purpose and am going back to college to prepare for medical school within the next few months. Being that I am 25 and not getting any younger, I was initially going to try to cram all the prerequisite courses together in one school year. Upon rethinking this, however, I figured that I might be better off concentrating on getting A's and taking more time to really learn the material. My current plan of action is to take one course per semester for the next two years. Will taking a single course each semester be frowned upon by an admission committe? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it will! Especially if you did poorly during your undergraduate career. You will need to show that you can handle the rigors of med school. This means taking a reasonable course load and to do well in all courses while also managing your job/shadowing/volunteering commitments. -Admissions Advice Online

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. You will need to take more than 3-5 hours (depending on the course) at a time otherwise they will literally or figuratively laugh at your application. Nearly anyone can get an A in nearly any course if it is their only course (and is within the scope of their knowledge/abilities)

Members don't see this ad :)
After a train wreck of an undergraduate career, I have a renewed since of purpose and am going back to college to prepare for medical school within the next few months. Being that I am 25 and not getting any younger, I was initially going to try to cram all the prerequisite courses together in one school year. Upon rethinking this, however, I figured that I might be better off concentrating on getting A's and taking more time to really learn the material. My current plan of action is to take one course per semester for the next two years. Will taking a single course each semester be frowned upon by an admission committe? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: the bolded.
This is a commendable goal. However, it should be what drives your approach to the classes, not what dictates your schedule. Pick a schedule with a reasonable weekly demand (counting jobs, school, etc) and then apply this strategy to it. You may well be able to do this...AND finish in a year, you just have to be willing to work hard. Cutting back to an easy workload in order to perform at the level you should be performing at anyway is trying to get more without increasing the amount of work you put in. If you are working 40hrs a week, with no family obligations, you should be able to do at least 2 courses/semester, though you'd probably look OK with 1 here and there (scheduling issues happen). If you are not working, and you are doing only 1 or 2 classes...what are you doing with your time?

Reactions: 1 user
"Cutting back to an easy workload in order to perform at the level you should be performing at anyway is trying to get more without increasing the amount of work you put in."

Very good point @mehc012.