Post-bac credits. Do you think I'm competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Augustus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my degree in Bio and I've started taking upper level courses as a post-bac student. I'm looking to take the MCAT this summer.

On practice MCATs I'm scoring fairly balanced in the low 30s. I'd say my most consistent scores are 30 and 31. With verbal a consistent 10, PS probably mostly 9s, some 10s but never higher, and BS a consistent 11 although my high is a 13.

My GPA, on 21 credits, is currently on pace to be a 3.91, all sciences. 5/6 courses I'm taking are 300 level or higher.

However, my Undergrad GPA was in the 3.3s, Sci and Non-sci were about equal. Should I apply this summer if I can finish with my 3.91 and get a 30 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my degree in Bio and I've started taking upper level courses as a post-bac student. I'm looking to take the MCAT this summer.

On practice MCATs I'm scoring fairly balanced in the low 30s. I'd say my most consistent scores are 30 and 31. With verbal a consistent 10, PS probably mostly 9s, some 10s but never higher, and BS a consistent 11 although my high is a 13.

My GPA, on 21 credits, is currently on pace to be a 3.91, all sciences. 5/6 courses I'm taking are 300 level or higher.

However, my Undergrad GPA was in the 3.3s, Sci and Non-sci were about equal. Should I apply this summer if I can finish with my 3.91 and get a 30 MCAT?

Assuming the rest of ur file looks good, u have a shot if u apply early & strategically (fit, in-state, comparable numbers etc)..

Goodluck

I would say another yr of that effort would help alot...to raise the GPA closer to the 3.5/3.6 mark.

If you can get a 33, then I think you would have a more competitive app this cycle.

But, there are those that have gotten in with a 3.3, 31...

alot depends on ECs, connections, LORs, interview, instate, etc.

Hard to gauge without knowing a little more.....

Members don't see this ad :)
JDUB is right. You either need an MCAT score of 33, or a higher GPA. Though extraordinary ECs might help override stats if they're a bit short of the mark. If you do decide to apply this summer, I'd suggest you continue with the informal postbac and EC building, sending in grade and EC updates after each term.

What's your cumulative GPA between ug and postbac?

So I'm kind of in a similar situation as the OP - when she/he applies, does she pick places based on her postbac GPA or combined GPA? I sort of had so many credits from undergrad that it's impossible to get it up that high without doing another 4 years.

So I'm kind of in a similar situation as the OP - when she/he applies, does she pick places based on her postbac GPA or combined GPA? I sort of had so many credits from undergrad that it's impossible to get it up that high without doing another 4 years.

the GPA is based of both.....a strong postbac can show improvement and a strong upward trend, which can help.

The postbac does not replace the undergrad but with a strong MCAT can maybe show you can handle the work.