Post Bac Info ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

water4girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for people who are currently enrolled in a post bac program and who were and now attend med school. What advice would you offer people? And would you recommend going to a structured program, i.e. Tufts or go to a local state school and take the pre reqs. I know different people have different situations but overall....any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My personal experience was that taking the regular courses at a University was better than a structured Post-bacc program. It gives you flexibility in scheduling classes, and you are in with the regular faculty which works out well for getting recommendations. One thing to verify is that the school's pre-med advising office is available to post-bacc students (I believe in most this is true, but make sure.)

I think it depends upon your personal needs (application wise). Some people may benifit from the local university thing and others may need the structured program. Also, it does help if you go to a post-bacc that is affiliated with a medical school. In some cases it can help enormously.

Ask yourself: what are my weaknesses (GPA, not enought science, don't have my pre-req's filled, MCAT, volunteer experience, etc)

Then ask: how much am I willing to spend and am I willing to move to anywhere in the US.

Also, I think it is VERY important to get someone at your nearest medical school to look at your application and tell you what you need to fix. If they tell you everything is fine, then find someone else who doesn't know you and have them tell you straight. It was very benificial to have someone tell me that my application sucked and needed to be fixed in certain areas.

So far everything has been working out for me, if you have any questions please PM me. Going to a post-bacc has changed everything for me in a positive way.

WISC-ite

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're considering a post-bacc program try to determine if they're affiliated with a med school. Some programs such as Ohio State automatically move you into MS1 upon sucessful compleition of the program. If you search through AMCAS you can find MD post-bacc programs. The only DO one that I'm sure of is LECOM. Ohio University may have one also. Also, some programs can be pretty expensive.

I went through Temple's post bac program and am now an MS1 at Temple. As far as I am concerned, it got the job done.