• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Aug 2, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello!

I am about one semester away from graduating as a History major from the University of Maryland with a GPA of 3.48 and was curious about the process and possible acceptance to a post-bac program that would allow me to fulfill the science requirements for medical school. My one fear is that I may appear to be a weak candidate because I lost a semester (the semester I tried to double major in Molecular Genetics and History, I had overloaded my courses with bio-calc, gen bio II, chem I, and neuro-anatomy) by withdrawing from the university due to some health issues affecting my grades(it was advised by my advisor).

I have a some exposure to the medical profession with a still active EMT license and over 100 hours of volunteer work at Washington Hospital Center in the Cancer institute. I also worked at WHC transcribing hospital epidemiology policy for the health and safety board. And was affiliated with the service organization Alpha Phi Omega.

I also have another question on whether or not it would be worthwhile to try and get a masters degree before applying to a post-bac program or a degree such as law school to make me look like a more serious candidate.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Z

About the Ads