Post-Bac Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Rydney

I saw a post mentioning schools that have post-bac programs that, if a student does well, allows that student to enter the med. school of said university after completion of the post-bac. I am trying to find info. on these programs, but so far have only found a one year program in chicago that is not transitional into med. school, it is only a programs that allows someone to take the first year med. school classes with the med. students. can someone tell me where to find the transitional post-bacs?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a post mentioning schools that have post-bac programs that, if a student does well, allows that student to enter the med. school of said university after completion of the post-bac. I am trying to find info. on these programs, but so far have only found a one year program in chicago that is not transitional into med. school, it is only a programs that allows someone to take the first year med. school classes with the med. students. can someone tell me where to find the transitional post-bacs?

The concept you are describing is called "linkage". Only a handful of formal postbacs have this, and it tends to be tied to how well you do. A few more have "guaranteed interview" agreements for folks who do well enough in the postbac. There is a postbac board on SDN where folks ought to be able to give you the 411.

The concept you are describing is called "linkage". Only a handful of formal postbacs have this, and it tends to be tied to how well you do. A few more have "guaranteed interview" agreements for folks who do well enough in the postbac. There is a postbac board on SDN where folks ought to be able to give you the 411.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Gtown's got one that guarantees interview if you do well - you really work for it tho, you take classes with med students I think.

Not quite. He's asking about universities that have both a post-bacc and a med school, where completing the post-bacc will guarantee you admission to the institution's own med school. I have never heard of this arrangement.

Not quite. He's asking about universities that have both a post-bacc and a med school, where completing the post-bacc will guarantee you admission to the institution's own med school. I have never heard of this arrangement.

Again, it's called linkage, and a few such programs do exist.

The UCs have them but they are specific for minorities. Are you a minority?

Look at the programs at Goucher and Bryn Mawr. They are the best for linkage.

Look at the programs at Goucher and Bryn Mawr. They are the best for linkage.

To the OP: To clarify this point, there are 2 types of postbacs: ones for people who already have medical prereqs and ones for people who do not. Goucher and Bryn Mawr are for the latter, and they have linkages to a number of medical schools including UChicago, UPenn, UPitt, Brown, etc. However, if you already have done "premed" you cannot enter these programs. If you are looking for a program with advanced courses to build GPA, etc. then there are other programs such as BU and G'town that offer opportunities.

I know a fair amount about the Goucher/Bryn Mawr type of postbac (feel free to PM me), but almost nothing about the other type. The postbac forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71 will be a great resource either way. Check out the sticky at the top, then do some searches based on what you are interested in as many of your questions have likely been discussed in previous threads on the postbac forum.

Best of luck.

Again, it's called linkage, and a few such programs do exist.

But linkage simply refers to an arrangement between a post-bacc program and any number of med schools; it doesn't imply that the post-bacc and the med school are part of the same institution. Most of the well-known post-baccs (Goucher, Bryn Mawr) aren't even part of universities that have med schools, and all the ones I know of that are (Penn, Harvard, Johns Hopkins) don't have linkages with their own med schools.

I wrote down a list I made while I was researching these types of programs a few months ago to cover myself just in case. I haven't looked at it for a while and don't remember a whole lot about what I found. I'll be using my list to research some more in Dec. as I prepare to perhaps apply to some. If I remember, most of the one's I wrote down were 1-year or 2-year with option to leave without penalty after 1-year if accepted to med school. Many of these have an toward helping you get into a med school somewhere.

Here's my rough list for what it's worth (that's a disclaimer :D ). It might help you in starting your research into these types of schools:

BU MAMS
Cincinnati MS Physiology
Columbia INH
Dartmouth MS/MPH
Drexel IMS/MSP
Duquesne
EVMS Med Masters
GU SMP
Gtown SMP
Johns Hopkins MHS
Loyola MAMS
PCOM
Franklin BMS
Syracuse Master's in Neuroscience
Tulane Pharm
Tulane ACP
UMDNJ - Masters of Biomedical Science
Virginia Commonwealth

I appreciate all the help here. No, I am not a minority, and yes, I am taking all my premed as an undergrad, which actually pisses me off now that I find out there are these post-bacs out there that only take you if you don't get premed first. Why is that? I could have graduated a good three years earlier, gone to a post-bac, and been in med school sooner than I will now, and that is assuming I get in the first time I apply. This information needs to be more readily available to people. Thanks to everyone again for all the help.

I wrote down a list I made while I was researching these types of programs a few months ago to cover myself just in case. I haven't looked at it for a while and don't remember a whole lot about what I found. I'll be using my list to research some more in Dec. as I prepare to perhaps apply to some. If I remember, most of the one's I wrote down were 1-year or 2-year with option to leave without penalty after 1-year if accepted to med school. Many of these have an toward helping you get into a med school somewhere.

Here's my rough list for what it's worth (that's a disclaimer :D ). It might help you in starting your research into these types of schools:

BU MAMS
Cincinnati MS Physiology
Columbia INH
Dartmouth MS/MPH
Drexel IMS/MSP
Duquesne
EVMS Med Masters
GU SMP
Gtown SMP
Johns Hopkins MHS
Loyola MAMS
PCOM
Franklin BMS
Syracuse Master's in Neuroscience
Tulane Pharm
Tulane ACP
UMDNJ - Masters of Biomedical Science
Virginia Commonwealth

i think new york medical college also has a program. 2 years MS (kind of like syracuse's and tulane's program)

UCONN has a post-bacc where they usually accept something like 1/3 of the students to their med school. UVM has a post-bacc where they guarantee an interview at UVM med school and at the University of New England osteopathic school, but not guaranteed admission. FSU has a linkage program for people who don't quite have the numbers to make it into the med school. If you complete the one year post-bacc, you're guaranteed admission the following year.

Is the program at FSU only for FL residents?

http://med.fsu.edu/StudentAffairs/prospective/bridge.asp

Bridge Program - How an applicant is considered
Post-Baccalaureate / Bridge Program
Applicants from medically underserved populations of the state of Florida, rural, and inner city backgrounds who applied through the regular application process, but were not accepted, are considered for the Post Baccalaureate Bridge Program. Students selected for the Bridge Program are those who have demonstrated the same qualities sought in all the students accepted to the College of Medicine. If Bridge students successfully meet the requirements of the three semester curriculum (a student must obtain no grade below a B) and remain in overall good standing with the College of Medicine and Florida State University, they are admitted to the next medical school class.

The Bridge admission process begins in June and continues until late March. Interviews are generally scheduled between September and March and applicants are discussed and voted upon by the Admissions Committee. Typically about 350 applicants are interviewed each admission cycle and some of those applicants may be chosen for the Bridge Program. Those candidates who are accepted outright for the Bridge Program are sent acceptance letters and packages as soon as the decision has been made. Applicants interviewed but not accepted outright are placed on the hold list. Applicants placed on the hold list may be offered a seat in the Bridge Program after all interviews have been completed and the number of vacant seats in the Bridge Program is determined. Applicants placed on the hold list and not selected for admission will be notified in early June.

The Admissions Committee utilizes all appropriate information including academic, personal, experiential and demographic data in the selection process. Personal qualities such as motivation, sensitivity to the needs of others, excellent oral communication skills and maturity receive particular attention along with strong academic credentials. In addition, personal attributes such as compassion and altruism that are, in the view of the committee, essential to the art of good medical practice are of special interest in the selection process.

The FSU COM Admissions Committee is especially interested in students who have demonstrated through their lifestyle consistent motivation for service to others. Students from under represented minority groups, students from rural and inner city backgrounds, women and non-traditional students are of particular interest to the Committee.

Bridge Program Timeline

Earliest filing date: June 1
Latest filing date: December 15
Secondary application deadline: January 8
Supplemental information deadline: January 8
Acceptance notice: Varies

Note- I participated in the Loyola MAMS program and it is not a guaranteed acceptance to Stritch Medical School. Instead, it is a guaranteed interview if you have, I believe, a 3.5 GPA and your MCAT score (or the average if you've taken it more than once) to a 28 or higher.

I completed the BU MAMS and it also does not guarantee you anything. not even an interview if you "do well".

UConn guarantees an interview at their med school upon successful completion of their post-bac. The med school also expedites post-baccer applications, so that if you complete the post-bac in spring you can begin med school that fall and avoid the glide year. The program is for both types of students--those who haven't taken any science requirements and those who have taken some or all of them.