Post Bac/SMP Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a senior finishing up my undergrad. I will most likely graduate with a 3.4 something and as of now I have a 25N on my MCAT (PS 11, VR 8, BS 6). I plan on retaking my MCAT this January in hopes of applying for a post bac/SMP.

I am from Ohio and I feel i have good ECs and rec letters but as I have learned its a numbers game. I know I have to get that MCAT up to atleast 29 to have a shot at anything.

My question is being from Ohio, I know there is a program in Toledo, OSU, Cleveland State and UC. The OSU one is for disadvantaged students which I am not sure i qualify for.

I was looking at the GPA enhancing programs stickied at the top. I've been going through the list and all the websites. That list has me completely overwhelmed.

My question is, what are my chances to get into a SMP/Post Bac program on that expansive list.

I was able to rule out Columbia Nutrition, Dartmouth, VCOM, Georgetown and Marshall based on length and scores.

Which programs have a strong in-state preference. Is it even worth applying to the ones in Florida such as Barry, FAU & USF. How about the New York ones?

Also how is Drexel, IUPUI, Loyola when it comes to accepting students from Ohio.

Do I even have a shot at a real SMP/Post bac this year. What should I be doing right now. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your questions are all over the map and I'm getting sleepy haha but I'll try to ask for some clarification on a few and answer a couple.

What you qualify for currently is very limited in terms of allopathic programs (with your current MCAT which you say you're going to retake) and most osteopathic programs.

Allopathic: UT and possibly.. RFU. I know RFU is lenient on MCAT score but I have no idea how lenient they can be. I think the lowest I have seen is either a 26 or a 27. As for the OSU program, MEDPREP? They do seem to prefer "disadvantaged" students but I know they have accepted students that aren't so it wouldn't hurt to send them an app since you're in state.

Osteopathic: LECOM Certificate, PCOM Cert/MBS, VCOM, NSU, and the list goes on.

Any other programs would depend strongly on your MCAT. USF IMS prefers Florida residents but I have a classmate that is from Seattle who was accepted into the other Masters program down there. Barry, Drexel and Loyola should have no discrimination against out of state students.

If you can increase your score by at least 3 points, I would add VCU CERT to your list.