POST BAC UCI/UCSF/UCD/UCR competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dieanotherday

Class of 2018. Yay... :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello pre-meds!

I am not one, (predent) but I am asking just out of curiosity for friends/peers.
How competitive are the UC PostBac Consortium Programs to get into? I heard its like 10 or less spots at each school and over 200 applicants along with an interview process very similar to any health grad school.

What type of GPAs/MCAT scores normally get into a postbac? Is it more friendly towards re-applicants? I might have been spreading false information to some low gpa friends by telling them they can easily do this postbac and get into med school if they do well.

But now doing a little research it seems that these particular postbacs that I listed are extremely competitive as well. Any information is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

To the best of my knowledge, most of the UC post-baccs are interested in disadvantaged and/or underrepresented applicants. However, I believe programs like the post-bacc offered by UCSD extensions are open to anyone who wishes to become a more competitive applicant. If your friends wish to stay in CA, I would suggest the SFSU or CSUEB or the UC Berkely Extensions post-bacc for academic enhancers, or do openU at any 4-year cal-state or UC extensions.

To the best of my knowledge, most of the UC post-baccs are interested in disadvantaged and/or underrepresented applicants. However, I believe programs like the post-bacc offered by UCSD extensions are open to anyone who wishes to become a more competitive applicant. If your friends wish to stay in CA, I would suggest the SFSU or CSUEB or the UC Berkely Extensions post-bacc for academic enhancers, or do openU at any 4-year cal-state or UC extensions.

thanks for the information, I believe very few states offer loans for postbacs which is why they want to stay in CA

is that all they care about? disavantaged background or URM? I'm hoping to get some info from people who did the postbac and their stats before they got in, as well as their GPA after the postbac

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to apply to the UC post baccs as well, and anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated!

The UC Postbacs through the consortium are for those that come from underserved or disadvantaged backgrounds and are academic enhancer programs for those that have already completed the pre-reqs. Depending on the program, you can be eligible for financial aid (in the form of loans) or possibly receive a stipend to help pay for classes. Its also a good way of possibly getting into a UC school if you do well in the postbac. I did my postbac through the UC schools and have had a great cycle in terms of state schools. They are competitive with probably no more than 10 being accepted to each program.