post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peteriz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I recently graduated from Rutgers with a not so high gpa. I have most of the requirements for most schools (would have to go back for a speech and an economics class). I was thinking about taking the PCATs since I do pretty well on standardized tests, but the pessimist in me feels like its a waste of time and money at this point seeing how I probably would not get in. I remember when I was a undergrad I had a few professors tell me they went back and took classes they didn't do well in to up there grades to get into their fields. I also knew a few people who went on to do a graduate program for biomed in order to raise their grades but most of them want to go to med or dental school. I was just curious if retaking classes would be a good route, or doing an advanced degree would help in trying to get into pharmacy school or if thats most a med school thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I recently graduated from Rutgers with a not so high gpa. I have most of the requirements for most schools (would have to go back for a speech and an economics class). I was thinking about taking the PCATs since I do pretty well on standardized tests, but the pessimist in me feels like its a waste of time and money at this point seeing how I probably would not get in. I remember when I was a undergrad I had a few professors tell me they went back and took classes they didn't do well in to up there grades to get into their fields. I also knew a few people who went on to do a graduate program for biomed in order to raise their grades but most of them want to go to med or dental school. I was just curious if retaking classes would be a good route, or doing an advanced degree would help in trying to get into pharmacy school or if thats most a med school thing.

There are many threads on these. The question is how low is your gpa. Are we talking about lower than 2.5..? if yes, then you'll probably to retake many of those classes since most schools have at least 2.5 minimum. If you have above that, then I would just take PCAT, get pharmacy and/or work experience and apply. Learn about pharmacy and write a good personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mm, I would just focus on getting 90+ on science/math sections of the PCAT and get pharmacy experience if you haven't had already. You'll get interviews with a 90+ pcat. At the interview you can ace it by showing your passion/knowledge about pharmacy. Pretty straight forward. You'll be eligible to apply to many schools with a 2.7, given you taken all the pre-reqs and didn't get below a C or (C- depending on school).

Let me know if you have questions. Look through other threads. Goal is to apply semi early (Submit before November).

I have atleast c's in all (needed c's to graduate) and my school doesn't give - grades. I've spent a good part of my day looking through this site and at schools. I think its more realistic for me to look at 2015 admissions. That would give me a little more time to study for the PCAT and to take that economics and public speaking class and to get a little more experience in.

I have atleast c's in all (needed c's to graduate) and my school doesn't give - grades. I've spent a good part of my day looking through this site and at schools. I think its more realistic for me to look at 2015 admissions. That would give me a little more time to study for the PCAT and to take that economics and public speaking class and to get a little more experience in.

Ahh I see.

How do you know you have a 2.7 if your school doesn't give out grades..?:confused:

they dont give grades with a minus. only a B or a B+ etc...