Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anoukblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I want to express how happy I am that I found a site such as this. It is not only informative but it is an inspiring site as well. Now here is my dilemma. I'm 26 years old and graduated in 2003 with a 3.27 GPA in Political Science. I was seriously ill and hospitalized a number of times during my first two years of college. In addition to this I moved back home to take care of my mother who had a stroke. My undergrad GPA does show an upswing during my junior and senior year in which I averaged a 3.7 GPA. I'm at a crossroads. I want to know should I try to lift my GPA by pursuing another undergraduate degree (I'm still eligible for financial aid) or should I start taking the science classes needed for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in a post-bacc, pre-med program and my undergraduate GPA is a 3.35. I think you'll be fine joining a post-bacc program, esspecially if you pull As in your prereqs

Thanks for the advice rhettoric. My state does not offer a formal post-bacc program. I plan on going back to school full time in order to finish my pre-reqs. I have a question for any poster out there. Do medical schools look down on you if you take half of your pre-reqs at a university and the other half at a junior college? (At the local junior college a 4 hour course is 400.00 dollars, while at the university it is a 1000.00 dollars.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, schools will definitely look down on community college courses for pre-reqs. Shell out the extra money. It'll be worth it when you have to apply to med school only once.

Yes, schools will definitely look down on community college courses for pre-reqs. Shell out the extra money. It'll be worth it when you have to apply to med school only once.

Cubbie:

Do you think that I should go back to school to get a second degree or if I should just go back for the prereqs?

I would not bother to get a second undergraduate degree. Just concentrate on your science pre-reqs. Don't worry if there is no formal "post-bac" program, I really don't think it makes a difference. I completed a post-bac premed program at UMASS Boston and I really think the only difference between being in a formal program and just taking the required courses as a non-matriculated student is that you can apply for financial aid since you are part of a "certificate or degree program". Also, I may have been able to register for courses a bit sooner than the non-certificate/degree seeking students. But other than that, I don't think med schools care or even notice...at least that was my experience. It is not indicated on any transcript and I have no tangible certificate to show. However, some post-bac programs have affiliations with med schools and if you do well and met certain criteria, you may be guaranteed an interview or something. So that may be something to consider.
But I really wouldn't waste your time with a second undergraduate degree--just do your pre-reqs and do well. There are many people (like myself) with non-science degrees who get accepted to med school.

Good luck!

Agreed. You really should take your pre-reqs at a 4 year university to be competitive for med school.

But I've already started my second degree and don't want to look like a flake to the medical school board. Plus, I live in Texas (thats where I'd like to go to school) where it is very difficult to get into medical school because of the high gpa and mcat scores.

But I've already started my second degree and don't want to look like a flake to the medical school board. Plus, I live in Texas (thats where I'd like to go to school) where it is very difficult to get into medical school because of the high gpa and mcat scores.

I don't think a second degree would do anything to help you get into med school. But, starting one and not finishing it could be viewed as a negative thing. Would they know that you were in a degree program? Well, if it were me, I would just focus on taking the pre-reqs, doing well on them, doing well on the MCAT, and I guess maybe try to finish your degree while you're in the application process.

i also say just take the prereqs that you need and don't get a second degree. your gpa is not bad by any means. you also have had many things happen in your life that were out of your control. these situations are what you will talk about and explain in your application and your essay.

you don't need to be in a formal postbac program. a formal program usually entails people taking full-time classes and some schools may even provide some sort of certificate to show you've completed said program. that's all nice and dandy - particularly b/c some programs are linked to med schools and provide a recommendation that comes from the postbac program. BUT, again, you don't NEED this.

you can take the necessary classes at a local college/univ, make good relations with some of your teachers, get friendly with the school's premed office and then take it from there in your own hands. i also don't think taking classes at a junior/community college is a good idea; not that it's inferior, but i get the impression med schools prefer your prereqs from 4 year schools.

I would not bother to get a second undergraduate degree. Just concentrate on your science pre-reqs. Don't worry if there is no formal "post-bac" program, I really don't think it makes a difference. I completed a post-bac premed program at UMASS Boston and I really think the only difference between being in a formal program and just taking the required courses as a non-matriculated student is that you can apply for financial aid since you are part of a "certificate or degree program". Also, I may have been able to register for courses a bit sooner than the non-certificate/degree seeking students. But other than that, I don't think med schools care or even notice...at least that was my experience. It is not indicated on any transcript and I have no tangible certificate to show. However, some post-bac programs have affiliations with med schools and if you do well and met certain criteria, you may be guaranteed an interview or something. So that may be something to consider.
But I really wouldn't waste your time with a second undergraduate degree--just do your pre-reqs and do well. There are many people (like myself) with non-science degrees who get accepted to med school.

Good luck!

There is some difference between taking "post-bacc" vs. as a non-degree student. I go to a public university where I compete with 250 18-20 yr. olds in each class for A's. In all honesty, I don't believe you have to deal w/ it in a post-bacc. Also, you may get more personal attention from the prof in a post-bacc program.

I second what Deepa100 has to say about public universities. The quality of instruction is stellar, but I'm in lecture halls with 500 kids and everybody's too intimidated to take the time to say hello. Ironically, it's easy to end up isolated in all the anonymity. If I could do it again, I would have tried to do a structured program at Bennington or Mills. It turned out to not be convenient that I live a mile or so from a big fat research university.

I personally am going ahead with a second bachelors. I have a BS in math, and I'm doing another in microbiology. The GPA improvement I need to show is taking more than the standard premed prereqs - I have to do upper div. A 2nd bachelors is 100% upper div science, in my case, and it's all stuff I'm enjoying. Finishing this 2nd BS is my glide year plan, and it sets me up nicely if I need to apply more than once. Furthermore it's easier for student services, like financial aid, to understand me as a degree-seeker.

Best of luck to you.

I'm getting a second degree not only to improve my undergrad GPA but to make my self more marketable in the job market as well. I've already started my second degree, so if I dropped out of the program, med schools would know that I dropped out.