Post Bacc Advice Needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chexx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've lurked on SDN for a while, primarily the Non-trad forum and post bacc forum. I've looked up plenty of Post Bacc programs but am still confused on how I should pursue with my situation.

I just recently graduated from a Cal State with a liberal arts degree in Philosophy.
My current stats aren't that great.
cGPA: 3.1 - 3.2 (last semester grades aren't updated yet)
sGPA: 2.71

total is about 120 credit hours

My biggest fear are my science grades:
Physics 1: A
Bio - evolutionary: C
Intro Chem: B
Gen Chem: C

I have been looking at formal post bacc programs and prefer them over DIY; I just feel like the formal structure may help me out a bit more. I've been working full-time and have saved up enough to put myself through a formal program. However, I'm afraid that I won't be able to get a science letter of recommendation to enter the basic core medical science post-baccs for career changers due to my poor grades. I can easily get LOR from other subjects and from my employers; but, it seems like they prefer Science LOR.

My current plan is to sign up for UCLA extension classes ASAP and try to get my science LOR during those courses....then hopefully apply for a formal post bacc the next cycle.

I'm hoping that my work and volunteer experience would help out my application a little bit by showing my interest in the healthcare field:

- Full-time EMT for a private ambulance company for just over 2 years including CCT and Fire (911)
- Working 60+ hours / week while going to school as a full-time student (probably not a wise choice....I admit now...)
- Part-time Rehab Aide / Office Assistant at a Physical Therapy Clinic for 5 years
- Arranged to shadow a General Practitioner this summer, which I will have completed by the time I apply.

Basically I'm wondering if there are any Post-Bacc programs that I can apply to now? or that I should apply early to for Spring 14'.? And is taking some UCLA extension courses a good idea? or is there a way around that?

I thought I had my whole plan figured out to graduate with my BA then go onto a post-bacc; but, now that I've actually hit this point I'm unsure of the best route to take.

If anyone has any recommendations on a route or programs to apply to I would be very thankful. I'm willing to relocate but would prefer to remain in the West Coast if possible to keep my job. My ultimate goal is to become a D.O. so I have been looking at Post-baccs with DO linkages as well.

Sorry for the long post! I'll do my best to contribute to the community as I try to become more active on the forum.

Members don't see this ad.