Post Bacc Advice on options

Started by Atheene
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Atheene

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a post-bacc UPENN student looking for a little advice. I just finished taking four courses here and got a 3.5 GPA. I will be taking three or four classes next semester at UPENN as well where I hope to do better ending with, hopefully, around a ~3.7 GPA.

Some quick background: sGPA/cGPA(undergrad at GWU as BME): 3.31; Old MCAT: 30; PA resident (22 white male), 300 hours of EMT, 500 hours gwu medical research, 200 hours shadowing, I applied to 6 medical schools last year and didn't even get an interview at any school.

My ultimate goal is allopathic medical school and was wondering what I should do in the next year I need to retake the MCAT at one point before I apply not this cycle but next, which option should I pursue?:

1. Finish this UPENN program taking four classes -> take MCAT at the end of this summer after studying all summer -> get a job as an engineer for a year and apply for 2017-2018 cycle.

2. Same as above except do another full time post-bac program next year (BU, GWU, Drexel, TCMC, or Cincinatti)

3. Stop the UPENN program and start a part-time MBS program at commonwealth medical school(TCMC) in my home state that guarantees an interview. Because studying part time can volunteer/get some more clinical experience.

4. Any other suggestions to give me my best shot at getting into an MD program!


Thank you all