Post bacc advice !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cubby_44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I posted this in pre-allo without much luck, and I was wondering if anyone had some insight.
I recently graduated last Fall, and now work at a large academic center in clinical research. I'm taking my MCAT in a few months to apply next year and hopefully matriculate in 2019, and wanted to take advantage of the modified DIY post bacc program at the center I'm at (85% tuition discount for employees!) and bump up my uGPA before applying.

Some things about to consider:
  • Double science major, so I've taken all of the pre-med requirements and other upper-level science classes
  • 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA...not very competitive at all
  • Upward trend in science courses from miserable freshman year (C in Chem 101, finished the year with a 3.2 GPA ..LOL, got myself together after that), except for a B- in biochem (Junior year, happened due to family commitments that took up a large chunk of time that semester). Dean's list every semester besides freshman year.
My question is directed at anyone who has done a post bacc type program that may be able to offer advice. The center I'm at offers an alternative post bacc program for "aspiring healthcare professionals", where students can take 4-8 courses of advanced undergrad biology classes (immuno, physio, etc.) that they have not previously taken in undergrad and earn a certificate. I was planning on taking 2 per quarter while working full time if I enrolled, which would total to 6 completed courses by the time that I applied to medical school (and 8 if I took 2 more in the summer quarter and updated my grades during the application cycle).

Does this sound doable on a full time work schedule? I would begin the classes after taking the MCAT, so I've developed and maintained a steady study schedule; staying focused on the program and earning top grades shouldn't be a problem (at least that's what I'm telling myself :D). Should I retake Chem 101 and Biochem, or only stick to the upper level courses that are listed as part of the program? How would MD programs consider class retakes like this? I've heard mixed reviews about retaking classes (it wouldn't affect the post bacc).

My center also offers a plethora of Master's programs I'm really interested in, but I feel like the post bacc program would be more beneficial for my situation...am I right in thinking this?

My dream is to be accepted into an MD program in the city I'm currently in (Chicago) or at an East Coast academic center, which I know is extremely competitive. I just want to make sure I'm presenting the best application I can and being realistic with myself by the time I apply, so any advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake a B-, hell don't retake a C either. Your GPAs aren't that bad, in fact, you are close to having a strong, competitive GPA. A MCAT of 505 or more and you could go DO right now if you wanted. IMO, your'e in decent shape so yea take a few more classes to bump that GPA up some more to be more competitive for MD and kill the MCAT. I think the reason your'e not having much luck on replies from SDN is because it already sounds like you know what to do. However, I would say working full time while taking those classes is risky. You can't work part-time?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply and advice; I really had no clue on which classes (if any) to retake...I figured biochem might be a good idea because of how much the course is being stressed, but you're insight makes sense!
Unfortunately, I have to work full time; I won't get the employee discount if I don't, and a lot of what I do is patient based so I have to be pretty open to scheduling. I'm not thinking it would be too overbearing, but I'd be curious to hear what someone who has done a full time work/post bacc schedule has to say.

Reactions: 1 user