Post-Bacc and Dental...HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tallgolfer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my question, hopefully a response will follow by someone! :) I am applying this year to Dental school but I know my chances are slim. I'm at a 3.0 cumm and Sci is 2.9...might be closer to 3.0 didn't get my Spring grades yet...Reguardless its on the lower end of the scale. I have been reading about Post-Bacc programs to apply to in the unforseen circumstance that I don't get in to Dental. (HAHA its a joke if you all didn't get it) What programs are good for a student with my grades. Also has anyone went to or heard of PCOM's progam and how the students succeed in getting accepted to places after it? I would appreciate any thoughts!!! Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

there are postbac programs for dental all over the us.. i suggest you look for something that is affordable. some postbac requires you to be a resident of that state.

sorry i'm not familiar w/ pcom

Tallgolfer said:
Ok so here is my question, hopefully a response will follow by someone! :) I am applying this year to Dental school but I know my chances are slim. I'm at a 3.0 cumm and Sci is 2.9...might be closer to 3.0 didn't get my Spring grades yet...Reguardless its on the lower end of the scale. I have been reading about Post-Bacc programs to apply to in the unforseen circumstance that I don't get in to Dental. (HAHA its a joke if you all didn't get it) What programs are good for a student with my grades. Also has anyone went to or heard of PCOM's progam and how the students succeed in getting accepted to places after it? I would appreciate any thoughts!!! Thanks!!!

I think that you should try to apply. Grades are important but the schools also look at other factors when making their decisions. Such as DAT, shadowing experience, personal statement, and extracurricular activities. If they see that your a pretty well rounded person you may have the possibility of getting in. If not I heard that BUhas a master's program for anyone who doesnt get accepted this year to dental school.You should consider that. Good Luck!
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine D'10

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the imput. Anyone have website links of interest I could use? Yea I'm hoping my outside stuff helps me out for dental. I've worked all during college and I have been on my University's judical board among other things. I'm hoping they also like the fact I was President of my fraternity (a co-ed community service frat for that matter). Any APO'ers our there???

The upside to the USA educational system is that it offers folks more than one chance to succeed in a chosen field. The downside is that those 2nd and subsequent chances can cost you significant bucks. For example, a lot of the public university health care professional post-bac programs (the least expensive of the bunch) only offer matriculation and financial aid to top performing grads who (because of their majors) did not take the pre-dent/med/pharm/vet science pre-reqs as undergrads. However, you can still take those classes for the record if spots are open and you can come up with the tuition. One such example that I know of is a complete OChem series for pre dents/meds which is offered during a very short summer quarter. Its not your typical summer quarter cake walk type of class. The profs don't give any slack. Thre is no curve and all the material is rapdily covered and tested (maybe a good tune up for the realities of dental school). Good luck.

You know...I don't really understand all this GPA nonesense with schools. For example, I know a couple of people here in my class whom did not have the best GPAs in the world and DAT scores were subpar; in fact, one of them was reapplying for the third time (his GPA sucked). However, they have vast dental experience and have so freaking good hand skills!! I mean, I have the wonderful GPA and past honor student awards and all, and I cannot compare to these guys...my hand skills suck!! These guys finish all the projects on time while I have to stay late at night and even come back to finish up the next day.
Hence, I do not understand dental schools; I feel they should focus more on the manual abilities of the applicant more so than academics. Hand skills are the key to a succesful dental school experience and not so much the academic portion of it...Obviously this is only my opinion...

Well im my GPA case I would have to agree with you! :laugh: But you honestly do have a point. I know when I go to Dental School I will not be working nearly full time and doing much of anything else. I feel you gain a lot more in college other than a degree (and a beer gut for that matter) and thats why I became involved in a lot of things. GPA took a hit but I think if they were to ask me if I'd change anything to boost my GPA I'd say no. Oh well enough ranting.