Post Bacc Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx245b

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do these seem like good post bacc courses. All the courses like microbiology, virology, genetic engineering, proteomics etc I got As in so I cannot take those again. The typical pre req science courses like intro to bio, biochem, calc 2 I got B+ or better in. I was having a hard time deciding if I should retake courses but since I got a C+ in the ones I would retake, I figured taking different science courses might help. I also have to factor in course availability for the summer sessions of classes at local colleges. Do these courses seem good for some post bacc classes? ( I plan to take a few more next spring as well.)

BIO 1221 General Biology II
BIO 1001- Intro to Marine Biology
BIO 4000: Personalized Medicine

I would take courses like embryology, pathology, ecology etc, but they aren't offered this summer, so these selections are mainly a result of slim course offerings. I am mainly concerned with the amount of 100 levels, despite the fact that one of them is genetics. Would that be looked upon negatively? I do not want to waste the time and money to take additional courses for a post bacc that ends up not holding much clout since, despite them being science classes, they consist of general bio II ( I only took intro to bio then molec, cell bio etc) but I previously got a B+ in intro to bio and Cs in molec bio and cell bio, so i figured it would be good to take this. I'm not sure how they would interpret personalized medicine. I read that they don't really appreciate marine biology as a "hard science" or demonstration of sustained academic coursework. I just want to get some input on the coursework caliber and interpretation for a pre med trying to improve their undergrad GPA through a post bacc and show the ability to do well in undergrad science courses.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do these seem like good post bacc courses. All the courses like microbiology, virology, genetic engineering, proteomics etc I got As in so I cannot take those again. They typical pre req science courses like intro to bio, biochem, calc 2 I got B+ or better in and the courses I got a C or higher in were orgo, and calc 1 and a molecular biology course. I was having a hard time deciding if I should retake courses but since I got a C+ int he ones I would retake, I figured taking different science courses might help. I also have to factor in course availability for the summer sessions of classes at local colleges. Do these courses seem good for some post bacc classes? ( I plan to take a few more next spring as well.)

BIO 122 General Biology II
BIO 100- Intro to Marine Biology
BIO 490: Personalized Medicine
BMS (bimolecular science) 101: Srch BMS w/Lab: Human Genetics

I would take courses like embryology, pathology, ecology etc, but they aren't offered this summer, so these selections are mainly a result of slim course offerings. I am mainly concerned with the amount of 100 levels, despite the fact that one of them is genetics. Would that be looked upon negatively? I do not want to waste the time and money to take additional courses for a post bacc that ends up not holding much clout since, despite them being science classes, they consist of general bio II ( I only took intro to bio then molec, cell bio etc) but I previously got a B+ in intro to bio and Cs in molec bio and cell bio, so i figured it would be good to take this. I'm not sure how they would interpret personalized medicine. I read that they don't really appreciate marine biology as a "hard science" or demonstration of sustained academic coursework. I just want to get some input on the coursework caliber and interpretation for a pre med trying to improve their undergrad GPA through a post bacc and show the ability to do well in undergrad science courses.

Thank you!
Go with Gen Bio II and BMS 101/Genetics. They are fine as a start for a postbac. Hopefully, you'll have access to higher level courses for the next term you take classes.

Can you copy paste the course description for Personalized Medicine? I agree (from the name) it could be misinterpreted as a health class and recategorized by AMCAS to something that wouldn't be included in your BCPM GPA.

Go with Gen Bio II and BMS 101/Genetics. They are fine as a start for a postbac. Hopefully, you'll have access to higher level courses for the next term you take classes.

Can you copy paste the course description for Personalized Medicine? I agree (from the name) it could be misinterpreted as a health class and recategorized by AMCAS to something that wouldn't be included in your BCPM GPA.
Hey @Catalystik, I was under the impression that as long as courses were filed under BCPM departments, usually are considered BCPM by AMCAS. Am I mistaken? I don't want to misinform others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @Catalystik, I was under the impression that as long as courses were filed under BCPM departments, usually are considered BCPM by AMCAS. Am I mistaken? I don't want to misinform others.
That's how it used to be. Now, however, AMCAS classifies them by course content, not course prefix.

Reactions: 1 users
1) The description just says "Course will explore "omic" approaches for precision diagnosis and treatment." Does it not matter that it is a BIO course offered through the biology department? I really do not want to waste time and distract myself with a course that will not count in the BCPM GPA.

2) Also, is the marine biology class not worth it then? It's still a science class and would be factored into the science GPA, but would you not deem it "post bacc worthy?"

3) Instead of Personalized Medicine, I can take Introductory Ecology BIO 132 which would definitely be counted in the science GPA, but now I am concerned with how they would view the rigor of the courses I would be taking, mostly 100 level courses, or involving animals. What do you think? I don't want them reassigning the medicine course to Health and not including it in my science courses, perhaps its best to take ecology then?
1) It used to be that AMCAS classified courses according to the course prefix, but that isn't true any longer. Now courses are categorized according to course content. It seems to me that course would be in the Health Sciences category.

2) Look at what AMCAS considers to be Biology from this list: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...ab328dc/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

To me, Marine Biology looks closer to some of the courses under the Natural and Physical Sciences tab than what's listed under Biology. Why not call AMCAS and be sure they will consider it "science" for BCPM purposes, with a course description in hand. Whether it's post-bac worthy is another issue that can be person-dependent. Personally, I feel that if you're going to spend the money, it should either help you on the MCAT or touch on med school-like course material (and save you some time later on). But that's just me.

3) Like I said, starting out with lower-level course for GPA repair is reasonable, so long as you get into higher-level, more difficult classes eventually.