lincoln87

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2017
I just had a quick question regarding courses for post-bacc. My current selection for this semester:
- First year sociology (don't have any humanities)
- First year chem (want to show recent mastery)
- Upper year cell bio
- Upper year bio statistics
- Upper year animal bio

I am considering dropping the animal bio in place of first year psych. Since I have little humanities, I think this will look better. Would you guys pick an upper year course or an additional humanities? I should also mention I'm writing the MCAT for the second time after this year, so psych will help with that as well.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks.

aformerstudent

probationary status 4life
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Need more info man. This is too vague. What are your stats? What have you already completed? How far are you in to the post-bacc? etc.

Take the pre-reqs and then add biochem, cell bio, genetics, and maybe embryo and go from there. You don't need undergrad level anatomy or anything else to get a head start. I do believe the biochem, genetics, and the embryo will be useful.

Bio stats was apparently heavily tested on one person's USMLE STEP 1 so I wouldn't ignore that.

Skip all that humanities crap; that is all a waste of time IMO. My guess is you could also write the MCAT with a psych/social review course.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I just had a quick question regarding courses for post-bacc. My current selection for this semester:
- First year sociology (don't have any humanities)
- First year chem (want to show recent mastery)
- Upper year cell bio
- Upper year bio statistics
- Upper year animal bio

I am considering dropping the animal bio in place of first year psych. Since I have little humanities, I think this will look better. Would you guys pick an upper year course or an additional humanities? I should also mention I'm writing the MCAT for the second time after this year, so psych will help with that as well.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks.
Some schools actually require having had a psych/soc course or two, so I'd keep that.

About the Ads

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Keep in mind that humanities are different than social sciences (psych and sociology are social sciences). If you're looking for humanities think literature, classics, art history, etc.

Cornfed101

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You need to pick your classes depending on which schools you want to go to. Look at the MSAR. For example, Creighton requires advanced physiology and biochem.

Reactions: frosted2

esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
First and foremost, pick your classes based on the reasonable feasibility that you can ace them all. If you can't ace the classes, the order/selection is a moot point.

About the Ads