Post bacc dilemma (advice needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arrode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a dilemma here.

I'm applying to a formal post-bacc program at a 4 year university here in Philly. I thought that you could start the program both fall and spring semesters as the application has a question about, "Which semester do you want to start in?" and lists spring/summer/fall. I selected spring thinking I'd start in January.

I call today and the lady on the phone informs me, "Oh you do know we only start students in fall semester, right?" Oh, ok, that's nice, but that throws me into a dilemma.

Currently I'm doing a BSN (nursing) evening program while working fulltime. I was going to drop the program after this semester knowing that I want to do medical school rather than nursing and immediately start my pre-med classes. However, since I can't start till fall 2012 now, I'm left with a few choices:

- Drop nursing school at the end of this semester. Take no classes till fall semester 2012.
- Continue nursing classes for spring/summer semesters to boost my GPA, gain valuable clinical experience, and keep myself occupied. My CUM GPA currently is 3.4, so I'd love to boost that.
- Say "forget it" to the formal post bacc program, drop nursing after this semester, take all the pre-reqs at community college.

Option 3 worries me because I've heard a lot of med schools don't look favorably on all pre-reqs being taken at CC. On the other hand it's insanely cheap comparatively. The benefit of the post-bacc formal program is it has a linkage program that gives you a foot up in getting into medical school by allowing you to apply earlier than all other candidates to select medical schools and the formal nature of the program allows for MCAT intensive prep, research opportunities, and the ability to get some rockin' letters of recommendation from staff.

What should I do? I do enjoy nursing a great deal, but I really want to go deeper and go into medicine since that's my ultimate goal.

Thoughts?

Edit: More info

- I've already taken Microbiology, Anatomy, Physiology, Calc, Stats, Discrete Math, etc.
- I work full-time and can't drop work for a post-bacc. I will, of course, drop once I start med school.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that it is important to take as many of your postbacc classes at a 4-year university as possible. I would not recommend the entirely-CC route unless cost or your schedule completely prohibits it.

Is there some reason you can't take some of the pre-req classes before the formal PB begins? I would lean towards that option personally.

I think that it is important to take as many of your postbacc classes at a 4-year university as possible. I would not recommend the entirely-CC route unless cost or your schedule completely prohibits it.

Is there some reason you can't take some of the pre-req classes before the formal PB begins? I would lean towards that option personally.

The formal post bacc program does not suggest taking courses before starting their structured program. To qualify for linkage (earlier than usual direct entry to med school w/their affiliated med schools) you need to take every pre-req with them at their college.

Yes, it's dumb. :/ But the easy-entry to med school (almost guaranteed if you get a good GPA with them) seems very enticing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you could take some CC classes like statistics, ethics and anatomy that medical schools recommend but don't always require. That would help your application without being a repeat of what you're planning to take in the postbac program.

I would recommend dropping nursing now. There's really no point in continuing it. It will also cost you money for no reason. I suggest that if you're looking for a GPA boost, take courses like Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, etc. at the community college in the Spring and then take your pre-med at the 4 year.

The formal post bacc program does not suggest taking courses before starting their structured program. To qualify for linkage (earlier than usual direct entry to med school w/their affiliated med schools) you need to take every pre-req with them at their college.

Yes, it's dumb. :/ But the easy-entry to med school (almost guaranteed if you get a good GPA with them) seems very enticing.

I know the program, read the fine print, it' s expensive, there is no 100% guarantee and there are better schools in Philly. If you are self motivated, a diy postbac is a better and cheaper way to go. No cc if possible. Why not switch to a bio major and take the prereqs that way?

I know the program, read the fine print, it' s expensive, there is no 100% guarantee and there are better schools in Philly. If you are self motivated, a diy postbac is a better and cheaper way to go. No cc if possible. Why not switch to a bio major and take the prereqs that way?
This might be a little difficult since most bio majors are day programs. As a matter of fact I don't see any programs in the schools near me (minus the post-bacc programs) that have evening classes that I'd need. I need something that's night program only since I work fulltime (typical 9 to 5) and can't afford to drop work for 2 years to get pre-reqs done. I'm obviously going to not work during medical school, but I really need these two years worth of work to get insurance benefits, build savings, save in my 401k, etc. before I commit to med school.

I would recommend dropping nursing now. There's really no point in continuing it. It will also cost you money for no reason. I suggest that if you're looking for a GPA boost, take courses like Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, etc. at the community college in the Spring and then take your pre-med at the 4 year.
I've already taken Microbiology, Anatomy, and Physiology as an undergraduate.

Maybe you could take some CC classes like statistics, ethics and anatomy that medical schools recommend but don't always require. That would help your application without being a repeat of what you're planning to take in the postbac program.
I've already taken statistics, ethics, and A&P during my undergrad.

:thumbup: - agree

It depends on how far you are along with nursing.

First 1/4th: Drop.

Halfway: Maybe.

3/4th of the way through: Finish it.

Nursing is a GREAT way to make money whenever you have free time...

+1

But since you've taken those classes already, I'd look into a DIY if what the other commenters are saying about the quality of the post-bacc program you're considering. At a 4-year if you can afford it, only because of the bias of some medical schools. (I did a DIY at a CC because I couldn't afford it and couldn't get night classes at any local 4-years.)

+1

But since you've taken those classes already, I'd look into a DIY if what the other commenters are saying about the quality of the post-bacc program you're considering. At a 4-year if you can afford it, only because of the bias of some medical schools. (I did a DIY at a CC because I couldn't afford it and couldn't get night classes at any local 4-years.)

Yeah that's my goal. I looked around at all the nearby 4 year colleges and most are private schools (so it'd be just as expensive as the post-bacc) or they do not offer night classes. So stressful!

I think what I'm going to do is stop nursing after this quarter and take a few of the pre-reqs at cc and then start the formal post-bacc program at the 4year this fall. So that way only 2 of my pre-reqs will be the oh-so-despised CC and the rest will be from a 4 year.

Have you looked into Penn State Brandywine's post-bacc program? I'm starting their 5th cohort in January 2012 and they have rolling admissions. I live in VA but picked their program because it is geared toward working professionals (you only have to visit campus 2 weekends per month for labs/exams), so I can continue to support my family until I start med school...

That might be a great option for you!

How much of the nursing program do you have left? What is your nursing gpa (are you acing all the nursing classes)?

Have you looked into Penn State Brandywine's post-bacc program? I'm starting their 5th cohort in January 2012 and they have rolling admissions. I live in VA but picked their program because it is geared toward working professionals (you only have to visit campus 2 weekends per month for labs/exams), so I can continue to support my family until I start med school...

That might be a great option for you!

Oh my gosh! I had zero idea this program existed! It's perfect! It's only 25 mins from where I work and 40 mins from where I live. Thank you so, so, so very much for this information! I'd send you cookies if I could. :)

I'll accept cookies of any variety! If we end up in the same cohort, I might hold you to that ;-). Haha. Good luck!