This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wontonamera

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! So I am a fourth year student at my university and I'll be graduating in May 2018. I had applied for dental school the June 2018 cycle, but I wanted to strengthen my application and re-apply June 2019.

I was considering doing a post-bacc by either taking 20 credits as a non-degree seeking student at my school ($5,000) OR a 20 credit graduate certificate program offered by the medical school at my university ($21,000:eek:)

The classes I wanted to take as a non degree seeking include the same course material in the certificate program. However, the main difference being the courses in the certificate program have a medicinal emphasis.

Which would schools prefer? Does it make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.4, science GPA: 3.2
For the DAT, AA: 19, TS: 19, Gen Chem: 19, Orgo: 21, Reading: 20, Math: 14, PAT: 14
I am also planning on retaking the DAT
You have no business paying another $21,000. Either pay the $5,000 and organize the best academic course schedule to fit your individual situation, or just get your DAT up. Your DAT is what is holding you back, not your GPA even though it's average to above average. Your time, effort, and money would be better spent getting that DAT score up. I say this because if you do that program and don't get close to a 4.0, then you just blew $21,000 and a year's worth of your time. Don't take such an academic risk. Although that's coming from the opinion of someone who is very risk averse when it comes to academics.

Reactions: 1 users
Overall GPA: 3.4, science GPA: 3.2
For the DAT, AA: 19, TS: 19, Gen Chem: 19, Orgo: 21, Reading: 20, Math: 14, PAT: 14
I am also planning on retaking the DAT
All you need to do is get a 21+ and atleast an 18+ to be competitive on the DAT. GPA isnt far off from avg. I would just work on studying for the DAT full time.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely do not take that formal post bacc, take your courses at your university and you need to crank those DAT numbers up. With your cGPA and bcpGPA, I would shoot for at least a 20 AA and 20 PAT on your DAT with no section lower than a 17-18.

Your low math and PAT score on the DAT are bigger red flags than your GPA.

Also important, what state are you from?

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely do not take that formal post bacc, take your courses at your university and you need to crank those DAT numbers up. With your cGPA and bcpGPA, I would shoot for at least a 20 AA and 20 PAT on your DAT with no section lower than a 17-18.

Your low math and PAT score on the DAT are bigger red flags than your GPA.

Also important, what state are you from?

Thanks for all the feedback! I definitely didn’t think the certificate would’ve been worth it if I had the opportunity to still take similar division biology courses as a non degree seeking student. Another reason why I want to continue taking several more classes is the fact that I’m a psych major and wanted to take classes beyond the bare minimum pre reqs like like anatomy, physio, histology, immunology, etc. Classes I’d be exposed to in D1 to prepare myself and show that I can do well.
I’m from South Florida