Post-Bacc for Low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m1021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So, I am writing this post for a friend. She has around a 2.6 GPA in Animal Science and has recently decided she wants to go to vet school. Since she's already graduated, are there any post-baccs for future vets to raise her GPA? I feel as if it would take a lot of self classes to just raise the GPA and a formal program would be better. After searching the forums, I've only found a handful (Drexel, Maine), and her GPA is too low to get in. Maybe there's post-baccs that are for all pre-professional sciences, not based on pre-med/pre-dent? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There are quite a few programs actually at least for pre-med (https://services.aamc.org/postbac/). I'm not sure how the general requirements cross over like gen bio, orgo, etc as I never did a post-baccalaureate.

Thank you. I know there's a lot for pre-med, and I don't care if it includes pre-med, but she doesn't want to do one that's FOR pre-meds. Any other general science ones work, but i'm having a hard time finding some.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your friend can simply enroll in a local college/university and take the required prerequisite courses for vet school as a post-bacc. That's what I did. Easy peasy.

Your friend can simply enroll in a local college/university and take the required prerequisite courses for vet school as a post-bacc. That's what I did. Easy peasy.

She already took all the required classes. I'm in a formal pre-med post-bacc now, which is much cheaper, more organized, and looks better. I guess they just don't have these for pre-vets, and she will have to go back to school and retake all the classes again.

She already took all the required classes. I'm in a formal pre-med post-bacc now, which is much cheaper, more organized, and looks better. I guess they just don't have these for pre-vets, and she will have to go back to school and retake all the classes again.

What is her grade distribution like? With a 2.6, I imagine she made a few Cs or lower along the way. Were these in science courses? Non-science? I would recommend taking science pre-reqs and making As (or as close as possible) in them. It improves her science/pre-req GPA and also her Last 45 hours, which some schools factor in. If the courses needed are similar to what's in the pre-med post-bacc (genetics, biochemistry, micro, physio, ochem, etc.), then it shouldn't really matter that it's pre-med. But that's just my $0.02. :oops:

What is her grade distribution like? With a 2.6, I imagine she made a few Cs or lower along the way. Were these in science courses? Non-science? I would recommend taking science pre-reqs and making As (or as close as possible) in them. It improves her science/pre-req GPA and also her Last 45 hours, which some schools factor in. If the courses needed are similar to what's in the pre-med post-bacc (genetics, biochemistry, micro, physio, ochem, etc.), then it shouldn't really matter that it's pre-med. But that's just my $0.02. :oops:

Yeah, it seems like that's the best thing to do. The pre-med post-bacc doesn't just retake those sciences. We take the same classes as first year med students and have linkage directly into the medical school. I guess she could do something like that, but she would be out of place and learning unnecessary human medicine. It's interesting because I feel as if the demand for a pre-vet post-bacc would be just as high as medical school, especially since there are way less vet schools and, in theory, greater competition to get in.

I'm not sure exactly what her grades are like, but she pretty much got a good number of B's and C's.

Last edited:
A 2.6 after, presumably, 4 years of college would be hard to fix in a short period of time.

Instead of looking at formal or informal graduate level programs, has she considered getting another bachelor's in a related science field? Assuming that all the basic coursework would overlap, it might give her two more years of new or advanced science courses and a "fresh start." Cost wise it gets weird with second, non-concurrent bachelor's, but, I'm fairly certain that my brother was able to get some financial aid (loans) when he went back for a second BA (you'd have to look at the rules on that).

If her GPA is too low to get into most structured master's programs and there aren't any post-bacc programs that suit her goals, it might be something to consider.

This has probably already been considered...but what about a pre-health certificate program? They're often short and are generally heavy in the science courses. I know there's one at UT Dallas. I hear it's fairly competitive...but it's designed specifically for pre-med, pre-dental, and yes, even pre-vet students that had low undergraduate grades. Maybe there's something similar in your area?

This has probably already been considered...but what about a pre-health certificate program? They're often short and are generally heavy in the science courses. I know there's one at UT Dallas. I hear it's fairly competitive...but it's designed specifically for pre-med, pre-dental, and yes, even pre-vet students that had low undergraduate grades. Maybe there's something similar in your area?

Yes, that's exactly what she's looking for!! Do you know any others? All the ones I fine are for "career changers" instead of "GPA boosters".

A second BS is an option I will bring up to her. It's a lot of work, but at the end of the day, if she wants to be a vet enough... then she's gotta do it.

Yes, that's exactly what she's looking for!! Do you know any others? All the ones I fine are for "career changers" instead of "GPA boosters".

A second BS is an option I will bring up to her. It's a lot of work, but at the end of the day, if she wants to be a vet enough... then she's gotta do it.

Where is your friend located? i did the post-bac pre-health program at Monmouth University in NJ. It was expensive, but it was close to my parent's home, so I was able to move home and save money. The program offers you guidance in which courses to take to fulfill your pre-reqs, but you are non-matriculated so you are not bound to finishing any degree or taking any certain amount of courses. You can take any courses you want really - you self register. Additionally, since you are non-matriculated, you can take courses elsewhere as well if Monmouth doesn't offer a specific upper level course you need. The only disadvantage to being non-matriculated is that you get last pick on registering for classes. This can be a problem at big state schools, but at Monmouth I had no problems getting into the classes I wanted. All of the professors were really kind toward career-changers as well. My GPA was a 3.45 to begin with so I am not sure what the requirements are on that front, but it's worth inquiring. Since you aren't matriculated, they don't care too much what your GPA is as long as you can convince them that you can succeed. No formal application or anything. Your friend can email [email protected] if she is interested or feel free to direct any more q's to me!

Oh forgot to say.....Also in the NJ/NJ/PA area, Rutgers, Columbia, UPenn and NYU have post-bac programs as well, but they are much more competitive with GPA and require you to write an essay and formally apply, etc.

There is also a post-bacc for career changers and GPA boosters through the UC Berkeley extension... California bay area.

A 2.6 after, presumably, 4 years of college would be hard to fix in a short period of time.

Instead of looking at formal or informal graduate level programs, has she considered getting another bachelor's in a related science field? Assuming that all the basic coursework would overlap, it might give her two more years of new or advanced science courses and a "fresh start." Cost wise it gets weird with second, non-concurrent bachelor's, but, I'm fairly certain that my brother was able to get some financial aid (loans) when he went back for a second BA (you'd have to look at the rules on that).

If her GPA is too low to get into most structured master's programs and there aren't any post-bacc programs that suit her goals, it might be something to consider.

I went back after a couple of years and got a second BS. I had an Animal Science BS and went back for a Micro. Funding is not a problem at all, she will just have to fill out a FASFA again.

The harder part will be bringing up her GPA. It is definitely an uphill battle for that one and it may take a couple more semesters to bring that to at least a 3.0.