Post-Bacc/GPA questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerryGarciasghost

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a new member and I am considering going back to school for medicine. I am a pharmacist (PharmD) and I graduated from pharmacy school in 2008. Ironically, once I finished pharmacy school I realized that I wanted to be a physician, but I decided to work as a pharmacist for a while. Now is the time to make the jump back to school if I am ever going to do it. I have a few questions specific to my case that I would like to ask the board.

1.) I did one year of community college in 2001 followed up by two years at a four-year state university for my pre-pharmacy prereqs. I did not finish my bachelor's degree as I applied early and was accepted to pharmacy school after 3 years of undergrad. My GPA at that moment was 3.646 and the only prereq I took at CC that would pertain to medicine was English 1 & 2 (The rest were taken at university). I graduated Cum Laude from pharmacy school and my final overall GPA was 3.409. How would they calculate my GPA since many of these classes were in a professional school? Would the lowering of my GPA count against me for my work in pharmacy school or would they separate out what I did before and after and give me credit for the 3.646 from undergrad?

2.) I matriculated to pharmacy school in 2004 so all of my prereqs are now over 15 years old. I want to retake all of them and I am sure that I can get straight As as I will have the financial means to go back to school and not have to work. I read somewhere on these forums that retaking prereqs you got a C or better in is a bad idea, though. I have also read that if it has been a substantial length of time, as in my case that it is appropriate to retake the courses. What do you all think I should do? I need to take the classes at minimum as an audit because I've forgotten all of the material and I need to prep for the MCAT. Also, how would this work in terms of my GPA? If I take a class twice and get a B the first time and an A the second time does that change my grade, do they average the grades?

3.) Regarding calculus, the four-year university where I plan on taking my DIY post-bacc courses has two options. The first is regular calculus w/ trig included (like engineers take) and there is a watered down option that doesn't use trig (like non-engineers take). When medical schools require or recommend calculus do they mean the one with trig only?

FYI, I also plan to take some upper-level course work to show my chops (histology, genetics, etc.) to the adcoms and there are several courses that I will be taking for the first time as they were not required for pharmacy school (Sociology, Psychology).

Thanks in advance for any input from my fellow members.

Best regards,

JGG

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are looking for a reinvention. Read Goros guide and you may learn what you are seeking:

Random non-ADCOM thoughts on your questions:

1.) The words, "Did not finish bachelor's degree" are concerning. I think most med school admission pages state you must have completed a bachelor's degree before matriculating. I have no idea if they would waive that requirement since you have a graduate degree. Just guessing but your undergrad GPA is set in stone at 3.646. Your grad GPA includes your pharmacy school classes and would most likely take into account the new classes you are going to take. That is because when you put the classes in on your AMCAS, you will classify them as either 1. Graduate Courses or 2. Post-Bacclaureate Courses (which bacclaureate you may or may not have?). They are both almost 2 decades old now so I would guess that ADCOMS wouldn't put to much weight on them. Most likely just a foundation to compare to the coursework you are going to do now. So make sure you crush them classes.

2.) If you have the financial means then look for good SMPS/Post Baccs to do. Goro has detailed several pros/cons in that advice thread. Look em over and see what works. I think the advice is usually go for ones linked to a medical school and at least guaranteed an interview. Your undergrad gpa shouldn't change since you won't classify any of the classes as being during your undergrad. They are either Graduate or PB. So your grad gpa will change.

3.) Unless you find a medical school that specifically states we need Trig (Pythagorean Theorem For Life!) then I would take the easier calculus.

Best of Luck my friend!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply!

I read Goro’s post before posting myself. I have a hard time believing that I should audit courses if I haven’t taken them in 15 years. I will call a few colleges to find out their take.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is a bit late on Friday so I am having trouble getting anyone on the phone, but the one admissions office I talked to said that my PharmD would count as my bachelors. Also, they recommended that if I take the courses that I should not audit them, but take them for an actual grade.

Ya that makes sense since the classes are so old. You gotta show that the you NOW can handle the coursework. So getting a transcript grade is probably for the best.

I was hoping that you didn't need a bachelors but sometimes you gotta make sure. Good work on the phone calls!

So now set up your coursework, set apart a block of time to crush the MCAT, and keep pushing onward. As wiser people on here have said, find experiences and a narrative that shows you are not running from pharmacy but are running to medicine. Go forth and conquer!

It is a bit late on Friday so I am having trouble getting anyone on the phone, but the one admissions office I talked to said that my PharmD would count as my bachelors. Also, they recommended that if I take the courses that I should not audit them, but take them for an actual grade.
This is going to be school specific, and prereqs do expire.