This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful108

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im also applying to post baccs this year! So im no expert, but I can tell you what I have gathered so far from poking around SDN, reddit, and talking with pre med advisors/other students. And from what I can tell most places have a minimum of 3.0. BUT I know alot of people have luck contacting the programs and telling them about their specific circumstances and coupled with an awesome MCAT, which is sounds like you have, lots of people have luck getting in! Even if they are are below the 3.0 cutoff.

On the other hand, perhaps you might want to do a DIY post bacc! Where you take all the pre-reqs and some more advanced bio/chem classes a-la-carte at your local state university. I know one guy personally who messed up in undergrad SUPER BAD. So he first did a year of DIY post bacc, and took all his basic pre-reqs again. Then, used those good grades to get into Georgetown SMP for an official Postbac. So that could be an option too!

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro would you possibly be able to shed some light? I have at least Cs (mostly above) for all the pre reqs so I'm not sure how useful a diy postbacc would be, but I have no idea.
With a 2.5 GPA, you need to ace either a DIY postbac, or an SMP. You're nowhere near ready to apply to med school.

Read my guide on reinvention

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for some advice.
Due to a variety of reasons I'll be graduating in Spring 2020 with a gpa of probably only slightly more than 2.5 (I know I royally ****ed up).
However, I received a GRE score of 330. I also took some practice MCATs and I scored around 518- this is without much prep, I'm hoping to take it this summer after preparing and receive in the 520s.
ECs are fantastic: I've given poster presentations for my research in culture-based diets/nutrition and also for philosophy, research publication for epidemiology, and community talks on public health etc. I've also volunteered for foster care services, food pantries, and have board positions in school clubs that I'm passionate about.
The only category I'm (dismally) lacking in is gpa, but I'm set on putting in the work and becoming a doctor now. I finally have my head screwed on right and my priorities in check, and I know I have the ability to be able to succeed.
Down the road I'm going to be applying to DO and some MD schools too.
I want to apply to some one-year postbacc, smp, or just normal masters programs for Fall 2020 that will show med schools that I have what it takes. What are some places that I realistically have a shot at with my gpa?
@Goro will SMPs take him with that low of a GPA? If he gets a high MCAT and applies to SMPs will they take him?

try looking at the VCU SMP. If you get a high MCAT they should take you with a high GRE and MCAT and overlook the low GPA. Cannot speak to other SMPs.

@Goro will SMPs take him with that low of a GPA? If he gets a high MCAT and applies to SMPs will they take him?

try looking at the VCU SMP. If you get a high MCAT they should take you with a high GRE and MCAT and overlook the low GPA. Cannot speak to other SMPs.
SMPs are a dime a dozen. I'm sure there one out there for the OP.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro thanks so much for your guidance. I read your guide and have been researching a lot into programs that would be practical to apply to, so far I have:
Giesinger MBS
Rowan University MBS
TouroCOM MS
Rush University MS
Rosalind Franklin
Rutgers MBS
LSU MS Biology
@Sheeshtopher I will also add VCU to this list, thanks!

Are there any other ones that you would suggest?
Whichever is cheapest, lasts only one year, and has some sort of linkage

is Georgetown extra hard to get into? im trying to gauge if its out of reach for myself with a 3.2 and 515. I see so many people with 3.4s saying thats too low to even apply.

3.0 + GPA. Average cGPA is 3.2. Average MCAt matriculation is 510. You're golden.

Last edited by a moderator: