Post Bacc/MCAT more impt than Master's degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trunksvegeta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding whether to study this upcoming Fall for the MCAT (which I have not yet taken) or begin a Master of Physiology program (already accepted for fall). I am 26 yrs old, never got around to taking the MCAT...my GPA is in the low 3's. Initially I thought that the Master of Physiology program would be really interesting and at the same time allow me to raise my GPA. However, the program is quite intense, and I could risk being in a worse situation than I started. On the other hand, if I study from now until April 2002 for the MCAT, at least I should be somewhat prepared for the MCAT. I'm worried that being enrolled in a Master of Physiology program will take up most of my time for the next 1yr and a half, leaving me barely any time to study for the MCAT...most likely forcing me to take the MCAT the following April. On top of that, I will be expected to complete the program. I'm having trouble deciding, would it be better to readmit myself into a second B.S. such as Microbiology and do well, while studying for this upcoming April's MCAT? or just stick with the Master of Physiology program, do well, then take the MCAT 2003 the following April and apply then? well I'm still not sure whether I should pursue a Master's degree or to take just post-baccalaureate classes.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this has been asked a thousand times...I'm sorry I have to put you guys throught this again, but is there anybody out there up for a little advice..? I'm just kind of in a hurry because I have to make an educated decision on whether I decide to enroll into the Master's program this Fall...thanks

Take the mcat in april... enroll in your masters program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hit the Master's program out of the park, take the MCAT, and apply.

Together

trunksvegeta,

I'm no expert on this, I can only go by my own experience. Firstly, you should know that AMCAS keeps your graduate GPA separate from your undergrad GPA. Therefore, acing a master's program doesn't necessarily increase the GPA that schools look at. I'm not sure exactly how schools factor this in, but if they have an automatic cutoff you might still get burned.

Have you completed all of your medical school prerequisites already? If not, I'd concentrate on that and also study for the MCAT.

Now, I got the feeling that you weren't too hot on the Master's degree thing. If you don't really want to do it, you probably shouldn't. Motivation can get really tough, especially when you have to study for the MCAT too.

However, if you really do want the Master's, then go for it and take the time to study for the MCAT when you need it. Most schools are pretty cool about letting you choose your schedule (well, at least mine was).

Another option is to enter a post-bacc program associated with a medical school. That will supposedly help you get in. Also, post-bacc courses that are not part of a graduate program will count towards your undergrad GPA on the applications.

Honestly, I think you should have a serious conversation with the Premed advisor at your school. Hopefully he or she can give you some helpful advice. If not, there are professional Premed advisors out there who are paid to help you get in.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. If you want to talk to me about my situation, you can email me directly. I'm applying for the first time this year, so I still don't know how it's going to turn out. :)

Pam

Personally, I would take the post-bacc/MCAT route, if your sole objective is to matriculate. Adcoms don't really favor grad courses over pre-med, so I would naturally stick to material more applicable to that seen on the MCAT: Micro, Molecular, Genetics, Biochem, Interm. Physiology, etc. You need to really slam that MCAT!! So if you believe the post-bacc option will allow you more time to prepare, then I would do that. Just my view. Good luck!!
BTW- Your post-bacc grades are also separated from your undergrad GPA!!
:)

hi again trunks. the last 2 posts really hit the point. your grad gpa will be separate from your undergrad. you post-bacc gpa will be separate from your undergrad but will be included in "cumulative undergrad gpa" and "post-bacc undergrad gpa." if you are serious about med school, there are excellent post-bacc programs affiliated with medical schools such as UC Davis, Columbia, Bryn Mawr and some others. Acceptance rates after success in these programs are very very high. Like always, a solid MCAT score is a must. Good luck in your decision. I would worry more about what you do where you go, rather than where you go.

Enter the master's program because:

1. From my experiences, most interviewers are impressed when an applicant has a grad degree. I think it is more of a positive on applications than many people think. For one thing, I believe it shows that you are/can be goal-oriented and, if you graduate, that you can complete long-term commitments.

2. Writing a thesis gives you research experience that may come in handy in your career.

3. If you are getting a bio degree (especially phys or cell bio), you will be better prepared for med school classes.

4. If you do not get accepted during your first app. cycle, you can start a (higher paying) job until you do get accepted. Taking post-bacc classes will get you nothing!

As far as the GPA thing, your grades will not be averaged in to your undergrad GPA regardless of whether you go grad school or post-bacc, so I don't believe that that is even a consideration.

Thanks so much for the advice! Well, I graduated in 1998 in Zoology, along with all of my prerequisites. Back then my undergrad was about a 3.01. Since then, I have taken 33 hrs of post bacc (mix of undergrad and grad) courses. I managed to get all A's, including several A+s. I am really motivated in terms of school work and studying, but my mental state is in shambles in terms of what exactly I should do, adcoms can be so scrutinizing sometimes with whatever choices one makes. So I believe the post bacc courses probably boosted my GPA to a 3.21 or something. Still low, but the trend in improvement really shows. I originally wanted to do a year more of post bacc courses and raise my GPA to maybe a 3.3-3.4 if possible then apply. However, I ran into some friends who are somewhat in the same situation and are in the Master of Physiology program rather than just taking PBS courses. I'm not sure if I want to do the structured PBS program thingy because I'm probably too late in applying, I've completed the undergrad requirements, and haven't taken my MCAT (don't you need that to apply?). Anyways...another queston I had was "do adcoms really care whether you just take PBS courses rather than enter a structured graduate program....basically can it HURT you?" If I was to take another year of PBS courses, I might have like 25 more hrs of Post bacc courses resulting in a total of almost 60 hrs of PBS...this seems like a lot of classes towards nothing but to raise my GPA...what about a second BS?

At this point, the only reason is to take or enroll in PBP is:
1- YOu never took the requirements for Med school.
For graduate school route, even getting straight A in bio classes won't dismiss your undergraduate proformance, but it shows maturity and interest in science. Some grad program would even allow you to take up med school requirement that you might have done poorly in as long as you can handle taking both undergraduate and graduate courses. YOu also have to look at the possible that you won't make it to med school (I'm not trying to bring you down). Then what are you going to do with classes in the PBP. If you graduated with a masters, you can get a job and apply again (if necessary) while you are working at the same time.
If decide on a master program, make sure it's something that has you interest as oppose to impressing the adcomm.
Whatever you decide to do at this point, have a valid reasoning for doing it (for your own benefit) as oppose to trying to search the whole website for an answer. :p

thanks for the helpful advice. Well the way I see it...whether I take PBS courses or a Master's, I will still be taking courses that are of interest to me...as well as. I do understand that getting a Master's will allow me to get a job if all else fails. I have heard both sides...some saying no to PBS and some saying no to grad school. I am fine with either one...if I am a grad student, I will be in a structured 2 year Physiology program, if just taking courses..I will be taking courses interesting to me. I'm not afraid to put the work into doing well in whatever I decide...its just that if medicine is the route I want to go...then I'll do what it takes to get in..we've all heard how unfair and random the adcoms can be. I appreciate the good advice...I think I'm leaning towards the Master of Physiology program...it has a lot of the classes that I would be taking post bacc anyways..thanks!!

here some stats from rochester applicants to med school for 2000...http://www.rochester.edu/College/CCAS/ApplicationResults00.html